To the two monkeys in RAF lycra riding through South Gosforth today:

Home Forum Bike Forum To the two monkeys in RAF lycra riding through South Gosforth today:

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • To the two monkeys in RAF lycra riding through South Gosforth today:
  • ski

Were they flying in formation?

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

it is no wonder other road users hate cyclists

I loathe that phrase

Junkyard

worse stealth mode
    I bet it was two abreast again

soobalias

do the raf now use monkeys?
    do they shave them? they sure must look funny with all that hair poking through the lycra.

backhander

How do you know they were monkeys, were they wearing their red berets?

Premier Icon uphillcursing
    Subscriber

One had tattoos.

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

One had tattoos.

call PETA

backhander – Member
    How do you know they were monkeys, were they wearing their red berets?

Rock Apes don’t wear red berets. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

People have been tattooing monkeys?! I suppose they’d have to shave them first. This world is a sick place!

Did you make them play tennis?

Subscriber

They had shaved legs….their riding looked like they were lower primates. Shaved monkeys indeed.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

I suppose they’d have to shave them first

It’s alright – they tried to tattoo rabbits on them but they ended up looking more like hares.

(although this doesn’t work as well written down as it should)

backhander

Ah, RAF MPs wear white berets. Hence the term “snowdrop”. I suppose they’re not really monkeys then; that not so affectionate nickname is reserved for the army red beret wearing RMPs

Zulu-Eleven

Surely they’d be rockapes, not monkeys ๐Ÿ˜‰

TooTall

RAF MPs wear white berets

No they don’t.

Why did they upset you so? What was your gripe with them?

Rock Apes don’t wear red berets.

They wear maroon berets when attached to the Paras or SFSG. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Subscriber

Apart from wearing lycra?

Why didn’t you give chase and shoot them down?

Scamper

Were they drinking champagne?

Subscriber

Be ashamed….. it is no wonder other road users hate cyclists

Premier Icon Teetosugars
    Subscriber

Zulu-Eleven – Member
    Surely they’d be rockapes, not monkeys

Only if they where RAF Regiment..

backhander

Yep RAF regt (or SRDG) are rockapes.
    Tootall, I have no gripe with RAF police (well no more than monkeys anyway).
    I was wrong, they don’t wear white berets they wear white HATS!

Snowdrops – RAF Feds, So called because of their White hats, which they wear so you can see them coming. See also Rozzers, Feds, and Scuffers.

Oh, and everyone gets a maroon beret if serving with airmobile bde (clerks, medics etc) regardless of P-coy or jumps status.

Rorschach

Was’nt this guy?

TooTall

I didn’t mean you – I want to know what they did to offend the OP.

backhander

Oh sorry.

Subscriber

Riding two abreast, Riding single file in the middle of the road. Wearing lycra.

Take your pick.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

Riding two abreast

perfectly legal.

SRDG

๐Ÿ˜†

toppers3933

there are situations where riding two abreast is fine. there are times when its not. the whole ‘why should we get out of their way’ arguement is flawed by the idiocy of some drivers. i know and respectthe fact that its peoples right to do it, there are just times when people are endangering themselves just to make a point.

Wearing lycra.

Unfortunately also legal. ๐Ÿ™

GlitterGary

Wearing lycra?

Should be court marshalled.

nickf

Happened upon some idiots riding 3 abreast in Watford the other day, at about 10mph. On a busy road, with a good half a mile of traffic behind them. They were doing on purpose as well – one of the cheeky feckers gave me an ironic OTT wave when he looked behind and saw me glowering.

Look, I’m a cyclist, but even I was seized by the desire to grab their stupid big-wheeled, skinny-tyred, carbon-framed, wierdly-barred things, chase them onto the pavement and repeatedly run over their bikes until little crisp carbon chippings were ground into the tarmac.

OK, I was in my mahoosive 4×4 at the time, thus rendering me liable to bike rage, but even so, these guys needed a thoroughly good smack round the chops with an oiled badger.

Subscriber

Legal or not is it really in the best interests of how the vast bulk of road users percieve cyclists? I am a cyclist (of sorts) and I was annoyed with their lack of consideration.
    Have to admit I am becoming less and less sympathetic to hearing about cyclists stories of ill treatment on the roads. Karma in action?

Junkyard

I dread to think how many times I have had to defend cyclsits on a cycling forum for not breaking the law ๐Ÿ™„
    Yes we slowed you down so we deserve poor treatment from random road users who may need to wait a few seconds longer to reach a traffic jam. Why not overtake ? Oh cars soming the other way why not rant about them instead?
    Some cyclists are poor , some drivers are poor. the solutions is better better driving standards and respect by all road users. given your rage at someone doing something legal you are aprt of the problem not the solution and ranting on a cycling forum about it ****

whatnobeer

Lets be honest, as annoying as it might be to be stuck behind cyclist cycling 2 abreast, the amount of time added to your journey is usually very small indeed, how often is that small delay of any consequence?

On top of that its often safer for cyclist to ride side by side to discourage other traffic from squeezing past and leaving little room. Riding single file in the middle of the road is the same. The far lhs of the road is often filled with stuff to give punctures and potholes. Use the other lane to over take when its clear and stop complaining.

ScottChegg

Have to admit I am becoming less and less sympathetic to hearing about cyclists stories of ill treatment on the roads. Karma in action

Then you are an idiot. Getting run over more important than letting you by unsafely?

Clot.

I was annoyed with their lack of consideration.

I think that’s the crunch. You can argue that most motorists aren’t considerate to cyclists, but does being deliberately inconsiderate towards drivers help matters?

I would argue that it doesn’t.

Subscriber

[/quote]
    Pimpmaster Jazz – Member

I was annoyed with their lack of consideration.

I think that’s the crunch. You can argue that most motorists aren’t considerate to cyclists, but does being deliberately inconsiderate towards drivers help matters?

I would argue that it doesn’t.

Someone who gets it.

Subscriber

@ScottCheg

The sad thing is you are being insulting to someone who happily sits behind cyclists and gives them a wide berth. When I am driving I treat cyclists like I would like to be treated when on my bike.

Ah **** it… can’t be bothered typing any more.

Premier Icon ir_bandito
    Subscriber

Pimpmaster Jazz frequently gets it, but that’s by the by.

When they were 2-abreast, if they’d been single file, would you have been able to overtake? Right there and then, or even within half a mile? Especially since they’d have been one in front of another and probably going at a reasonable speed, so i guess they were 2 abreast to make sure idiot drivers don’t try to pass.
    Roads round S. Gosforth are fairly narrow and usually busy (and rarely above cycling speed).

Its called riding assertivly. You make the assumption as a cyclist that all drivers are idiots and will try and overtake at daft moments which will put you at risk. Therefore, you make sure they really can’t try unless you decide that its safe.

BUT: anyone who rides in RAF lycra is probably a mincer.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘To the two monkeys in RAF lycra riding through South Gosforth today:’ is closed to new replies.