Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Recommend me some waterproof shorts
  • nemesis
    Free Member

After a rather more exciting descent of a fairly steep trail than planned due to my waterproof shorts ripping (they already had a small hole in them which tore further) and then catching on my saddle, I need some new ones.

The old ones were Altura Attack and did me decent service for about four years’ worth of the wettest rides. So, any suggestions for what’s good now (beyond the same), ideally at the £50 or less end of the scale.

TIA

mccraque

I’e just invested in the Endura MT500WP shorts.

They’re pretty good, but a little sweaty in humid weather and quite narrow around the knee. Do the job reasonably well though.

I’m 34″ waist and am in the large. Waist is perfect…but leg maybe a little too slim.

bangermoose
    Free Member

ive just bought the altura attack to replace a set of endura superlites that I ripped after a couple of years riding in them, both quite similar though the attacks seem to be slightly more waterproof when really wet. so id say i marginally prefer the attack out of those 2, they look similar construction durability wise.

fudge9202
    Free Member

+1 for MT500’s

lowey

I’ve had Altura Attacks now for 2 winters without issue, plus I commute in them too.

Would buy again.

Northwind

Attacks for me, only thing that could be improved on imo is the waist fastening and velcro straps- but the actual shorts are awesome

nemesis
    Free Member

Wow, those are cheap – have you got them? Any good?

thanks everyone else too – Altura’s seem to be popular and I agree that they’ve been good for me but three times the prices of those Protean ones above!

simplydownhill
    Free Member

Only been on the website a month or so, wife has just got them, seem fine. Time will tell.

z1ppy

Attack 3/4’s keep your knees a bit warmer, they just work. Admittedly they ain’t the cheapest

Simon

Anyone using Madison Tempest shorts?

daver27
    Free Member

Altura Attacks. utterly brilliant. 2 years in and will buy a 2nd set this year, not because they have worn out, but because i am riding every day and need to rotate clothing in the wash!

cakefacesmallblock

I have Madison Tempest 3/4s . Only used them on four wet rides so far. Generally they are very good, the only issue I have is that in the medium which fit well everywhere else, the waist is a bit too big, for the Velcro adjusters to synch up quite tight enough, almost there , but another inch or so of loop tape on either side would help massively. But as I’m generally happy with them and the small would have been too small, I’m considering stitching some belt loops and using a belt from some humvees on them.
    From a waterproof perspective and general comfort they are excellent. Just that they ride down a little as I’m riding up !

wobbem
    Free Member

I had the Madisons they lasted 3 months, currently using these, very impressed atm.

clicky

jekkyl

Buy some cheap waterproof trousers in a size larger than you normally take, cut the bottoms off and wear them over your normal shorts. Added advantage of being able to take them off when it drys up a bit and pack really small.

biglee1

£15! TBH theyll only get mud up so why spend more? Chop the legs to your desired length and away you go! Pack down small and Ive been using them for years

http://www.anchorsupplies.com/ex-british-army-gore-tex-trousers.html

rene59
    Free Member

Once you chop the legs does the material fray? Do you need to hem them or anything else?

Suggsey
    Free Member

Attacks for me every time with the braces to get over any issues of them staying up with Lycra bib shorts underneath.

Simon

wobbem – were they the new version like these

biglee1

No, the goretex doesn`t fray but you could hem them if you wanted

fathomer

I’ve got Endura Superlites which have lasted two winters so far of average use.

They’re great as the length is somewhere between a short and a 3/4 so cover the top of your knees with getting caught on knee pads.

retrobri
    Free Member

simply downhill – Member

http://www.tenn-outdoors.co.uk/protean-waterproof-mtb-shorts-black-small

I heard about these too! any reviews people?

daveb
    Free Member

Good thread as also looking to buy some. have used the superlights before but might try the attacks for a change.

Simon

I bought some medium Madison Tempest shorts. I’m a medium in most stuff but I’ve had to do the waist adjusters right up to get them to fit. Probably should have got a pair in small.
    Yet to ride in them.

ceepers

ive got those blue tempests. only done 3 rides in them but lovely and dry to ride in so far and a comfy amount of baggyness.

impressed so far, £43 in a slae, i forget where sorry

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve just got the tenn ones – they’re definitely quite plasticy and not massively thick but they fit well without lots of flappy fabric. I haven’t actually ridden in them yet though.

Simon

Rode two days in and around Keswick in my Madison Tempests at the weekend, there were a lot of puddles and a few stream crossings but they kept me dry.
    Probably should have got a size small though, mine are medium and I had to do the adjusters right up and they still fall down a bit. I’m a 32″ waist on a good day BTW.

amedias
    Free Member

I’e just invested in the Endura MT500WP shorts.

If your experience is anything like mine you’ll be ‘re-investing’ shortly. (no pun intended)

MT500’s have been a great disappointment to me, not as waterproof as I would have expected, and the arse panel wears through very quickly in gritty conditions, also I had to re-stitch mine twice last winter where the seams came undone. Now trashed after 13 months, and obviously not used much over the summer 🙁

bonesetter
    Free Member

^^ same experience here with my MT500’s – hems undone, no real way to keep them up…. etc

Looking for replacements

AlasdairMc

I’ve managed five months with Tempests until I ripped the seat on them. Am I likely to get warranty on them as they split in normal use without a fall or anything?

I’ve got some of the eBay goretex trousers waiting to cut them down – these seem pretty robust.

sillyoldman

Madison stuff has a lifetime warranty, so worth a try.

saxabar
    Free Member

Got a pair of the Tenns. Decent length, good fastener, waterproof, no snagging on bike, a proper waist fit (a 32 fits me and I usually buy either 30 or 32″) and look fine (blue hints go well with TLD knee pads).They were introduced to Penmachno last weekend and I came back reasonably dry.

muddyground
    Free Member

MT500 Velcro, poppers and stupid, stupid braces that never really did anything. Right lash up of a fitting system. I ended up cutting out all that crap and sewing in a simple clip. I’d not buy again, not with the braces.Indeed after having spent that much and received so little, I’d never spend more than £20 on waterproof shorts.

bonesetter
    Free Member

But what are you going to get for £20? 🙂

I wear 3/4’s year round, but after the other thread knocking around, have ordered some ex-arm gortex – they were £10 🙂 I’ll have to see what they’re like

deanfbm
    Free Member

Got superlites and attacks, really dont like either. The attacks aren’t really waterproof, a bit short, fron a bit high which makes the back cone down.

The superlites are really sweaty and I have to have them pulled up to my nipples for the crotch not to sag, material is stiff, elastic around the waist bunches annoyingly too.

My solutio has been to fit a rear mudhugger, can wear comfy shorts and stay clean and dry.

bonesetter
    Free Member

The Final Solution!

I think that’s what most of us are missing – a decent mud guard and problem solved 🙂

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some waterproof shorts’ is closed to new replies.