Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Recommend me some trail running shoes
  • Soup
    Free Member

Doing the 3 peaks challenge in June and need some decent running shoes for mountain running. If it helps I have quite narrow feet. Any recommendations ? – other than go to a shop and buy what fits.

uplink
    Free Member

I quite like Adidas Supernova Riot

But if you can live without ant support look at Inov8 & Walsh too

bristolbiker
    Free Member

The best purchase I ever made was a pair of Saloman Goretex XCR trail running shoes. A bit pricey, but comfy as a comfy thing in any conditions.

uplink
    Free Member

BTW – my latest Riot’s are marked up as adiStar Revolt so I guess they’ve changed the name

joemarshall
    Free Member

Go to a shop and try some on. For what it’s worth I think Salomon will be no good for you – I seem to remember from the pair I had they are quite wide.

What you want depends a lot on whether you’re a runner or a walker. Presuming you’re not an off road runner (as otherwise you’d have some shoes) you might be best with something more like an approach shoe (like a cut down hiking boot) – you can get them from hiking shops.

If you’re proper running it, as opposed to ambling up it in a mild hurry to do the lot in 24 hours or whatever challenge it is, and you are used to running then maybe something more running focused like a pair of lightweight trail running trainers or fell running shoes, go to a running shop to get these. It isn’t like any of the ascents are particularly difficult, so you don’t need anything too hardcore.

Joe

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Yes – fair point. The toe box is quite wide….

Soup
    Free Member

Ta. Planning on running it – chaps from work have done it before in around 17 hours, so we’re looking at that sort of time again. Have run 3 marathons in the past, so definitely more the fell running shoes or similar.

silverside
    Free Member

check out inov – 8’s

worth going into a shop, like “run and become” in london victoria

aracer
    Free Member

Running up and down the 3 peaks is neither really trail running nor fell running. Trail shoes are designed for more flattish and even ground and will be too high and unstable. Fell shoes are designed for soft mud/grass and don’t work that well on the sort of rocky hard trails you’ll be on, and also have little cushioning. My recommendation would definitely be a pair of Inov-8 Roclite 315s – narrow low fit like fell shoes, but with an outsole which works much better on hard ground, and a bit of cushioning. Narrower fit than other normal recommendations like Flyrocs or Sal XCRs. Definitely would not recommend Goretex in a proper off-road shoe – unless you’re going to step daintily round any puddles you’ll get water in the top and the goretex will keep it there! Goretex shoes are only really any good for keeping your feet dry when running through wet grass.

BTW I presume you’re talking about the rubbish challenge which is an exercise in driving too fast? Why not do something a bit more challenging as a walk rather than a drive like the Welsh 3000s.

stever
    Free Member

For that time on your feet I’d go for something with a bit of cushioning rather than an out and out fell shoe. Something like a Mizuno Wave Harrier or one of the billion shoes in the Inov-8 range, maybe a Flyroc 310 or Terroc 330. Try something on though or you may as well just chuck 60 quid in the air 😉

roper
    Free Member

I agree with most of the above. I am a fan of the Salamon shoes (not goretex though) but they might be a bit too thin for 17hrs running.
    I have used Montrail Continental Divide shoes for ultra distances running. They are as comfy a slippers and grip well in the wet on rocks. They are well vented so you may get cold feet but they do dry quickly. They are cushioned and have good heal protection for running down hill. They do offer lots of protection against lose rocks but are slightly hefty, a good training show bu I’ve raced in them as they are so comfy. They are also fine on tarmac but naff in thick mud and clay though.

antigee

quite like the goretex ones because can use for all day walking or when on the way out as a casual shoe that keeps your feet dry
    – been a big fan of the salomon xcr’s though grip in mud isn’t the best -cushioning and grip on wet rock excellent
    just bought a pair of inov8 318rocs with good studs but a bit harsh on road sections but that always the compromise
    Mrs antigee favours saucony jazz grids plenty of cushioning and just enough grip

montylikesbeer

Try a drop of these, good stuff and woks well, its all I wear.

Ino8

roper
    Free Member

on a highjack, where is the best place to see the whole range of inov-8 in the Sussex area’

meganrunning
    Free Member

Roper I am a fellow Sussex’er, although not sure where stocks a full range of about Inov-8 shoes.

I have been looking at Hi-Tec Infinity Trail Running Shoes this morning as they seem to be one of the lightest models currently on the market and have ion-masking technology (water repelling).

Have any ladies tried these out yet?

stevious

My thoughts:

– don’t get anyting with goretex in it. Makes the shoe more expensive and keeps the water in. You WILL get wet feet whatever so best get a shoe that will let the water out.

– The salomon shoes are the comfiest I’ve ever worn, but the grip on them is useless on anything other than hardpack trail. And they’re wide.

– If you do get inov8s (or walshes) make sure you get some time running in them before you do anything big. I ran the KIMM in a brand new set of inov-8s and they ate my heels. On speaking to others it seems its not an uncommon experience.

Cougar

Can I hijack this for a second with a similar question?

I’m idly toying with the idea of doing the Wincle Trout Run this year (which describes itself as “A demanding 9km fell run, crossing woodlands, river and high moorland (1,000ft of climb) in the picturesque Dane Valley”).

I have walking boots, Salomon somethingorother entry-level approach shoes, and (road) running trainers. Would I be right in thinking that the Salomons are the best bet here, or do I really need new shoes (which, frankly, would tip the balance towards not entering at all if so).

Cheers,

EDIT – I should perhaps add, I’ve never done anything like this before. I’ve run 10k road races, and hill walking, but never at the same time.

jools182
    Free Member

La Sportiva Raptor would be a good choice for narrow feet

here

finbar
    Free Member

BTW I presume you’re talking about the rubbish challenge which is an exercise in driving too fast? Why not do something a bit more challenging as a walk rather than a drive like the Welsh 3000s.

+1. Bob Graham, KIMMOMM, plenty of long distance fell/trail races (Edale Skyline, Bullock Smithy, Grindleford Gallop etc) – all worthier challenges IMO.

Would I be right in thinking that the Salomons are the best bet here, or do I really need new shoes (which, frankly, would tip the balance towards not entering at all if so).

Yes, the Salomons will be fine. There seems to be an odd perception on here that YOU WILL DIE if you run offroad in anything less than fell shoes. I’ve *gasp* done plenty of offroad races in road racing flats. On rocky Peak District trails in the dry, i find the extra cushioning usually outweighs any percieved lack of grip.

anonymouse
    Free Member

Shoes? Who wears shoes for running? It’ll never catch on. 😉

stever
    Free Member

Cougar – not done Wincle Trout, but you’ll be fine in your trail shoes. If you get into it, get some lower to the ground, but don’t let it stop you entering. It doesn’t have to be complicated 🙂

PS It does fill with pre-entries

Cougar

Lower to the ground? Generally my shoes touch the ground, I’d need a spade to get any lower.

Cougar

Seriously though, thanks for the info. I didn’t want to wear the road trainers for fear of trashing them rather than because of any inherent unsuitability. The Salomons were cheap but, I suppose, so long as I take a change of hoof with me for afterwards they should be fine.

Cougar

However,

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/clearance/running

Ooh (-:

The ones I have are similar to these but probably last year’s colours or something.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Cougar – Those Salomons would be too heavy IMO, and are not really running shoes.

I’ve found these http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/SAU79/saucony-jazz-6000-on-and-off-road-running-shoes/ great for running on moorland, rock, etc, basically the terrain you would be running on.

They have a fair bit of cushioning which I think you will need for the tracks you will be going down. They are not as light as a road running shoe but certainly not heavy and have plenty of grip. Not sure on the width though…

anonymouse
    Free Member

If you can’t afford to splash out on new shoes for a short run in a new discipline that you don’t know whether you like (and who could blame you?) run it in your road shoes. You’ll be slower than in fell shoes and you may get them wet and muddy. You may even fall over a bit more, but they’ll do.You’ll have a better idea after the race whether you’re likely to do more of that sort of run.

superfli
    Free Member

Agree with Stevious. I have a pair of Salomon XCR, non goretex. Very comfy, but far wider at the toe than my old NB shoes. Grip is nothing special.
    I bought mine as a replacement for my NB shoes, for endurance racing and as I’m doing the 3 peaks in May too. Got them off ebay for £45! worn once, but didnt look it (they are a right state now!)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Salomon SpeedCross – great shoes.

any Inov8 ones are good too…and probably more suited to fell running.

Avoid anything with Goretex…fabulous until you go into any water over your ankle (might be speaking from experience there 😳 )

Cougar

Avoid anything with Goretex

… bugger.

Cougar

Cougar – Those Salomons would be too heavy IMO, and are not really running shoes.

That’s ok, I don’t really plan on running. (-:

I’ve found these http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/SAU79/saucony-jazz-6000-on-and-off-road-running-shoes/ great for running on moorland, rock, etc, basically the terrain you would be running on.

Innnnnteresting. Cheers. (though, white, offroad?!)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Cougar – I assume you knew what I meant about the Goretex thing? Once water gets inside (and it more than likely will), it doesn’t drain out because of the Goretex lining…this is bloody uncomfortable. So while a Goretex pair will be great for a damp trail run, they’ll be crap for anything properly wet.

I think those Saucony are too “road-trainer” for what you need. You really need proper trail shoes, not a hybrid (which are always too much of a compromise anyway). Hybrids are ok where you might have some of a race on tarmac/hardpack and some of it on a forest path or something similar. But for proper trail stuff, I think you need to go with the likes of Inov8 etc.

All the same, as stever says above, it doesn’t have to be complicated. I wouldn’t sweat it too much if you’re just planning to complete it and not being too competitive about it. Why don’t you try your Salomons on some short (couple of k) off road runs and see how you feel?

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

Montrail are worth a look too, ive had a few different pairs of trail shoes. the Inov8s were good but didnt last too long.

BadlyWiredDog

I have been looking at Hi-Tec Infinity Trail Running Shoes this morning as they seem to be one of the lightest models currently on the market and have ion-masking technology (water repelling).

I’m not a lass, but I’ve been wearing a pair of these for a while and I think they’re a very good compromise between off-road grip, cushioning and stability on rough ground. The Ion Mask stuff is best thought of as a permanent water repellent treatment rather than ‘water proofing’ – water will get into your shoes, but they dry faster than non Ion Mask shoes afterwards.

Inov-8s tend to sit your foot closer to the ground, so are maybe a tad more stable, but they’re also less cushioned, which can make them hard going on real rocky or hard-packed trails. Personally I also find them a bit harsh on heels and it’s worth being aware of that when you try them on, that aside, I think their stuff is good half-way house between trail-running and fell shoes, though obviously there are a load of different models, so it’s hard to generalise.

superfli
    Free Member

IMO Salomon speedcross wouldn’t be suitable for rocky terrain of 3 peaks. Over moorland and softground, then great, but the sole is too lightweight for any hard surfaces. Nice and light though

Pieface

I thought that to even get into the 3 peaks you had to have had some success in fell running races so am surprised you’re asking here 🙂

Try http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/, they have forums and everythink

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

IMO Salomon speedcross wouldn’t be suitable for rocky terrain of 3 peaks. Over moorland and softground, then great, but the sole is too lightweight for any hard surfaces. Nice and light though

Aye, you’re probably right there.

anonymouse
    Free Member

Wrong 3 peaks pieface. The 3 peaks fell run is the 3 Yorkshire peaks and is on the 1st of May. The OP is on about the 3 national peaks with lots and lots of driving inbetween.

surfer
    Free Member

I thought that to even get into the 3 peaks you had to have had some success in fell running races so am surprised you’re asking here

Not necessarily but you have to have some provable form over some surfaces.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Is there a barefoot three peaks? 😉

NZCol

I’m using Salomon SpeedCross quite a lot and have spent 28 hours in a pair and they were fine. Fantastic tread for offroad stuff.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some trail running shoes’ is closed to new replies.