Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Recommend me some road wheels…
  • CaptJon
    Free Member

A pair, for under £200 and compatible with shimano mtb cassettes. They'll be used for commuting and general sunday rides, i.e. not racing or anything silly like that.

tinribz
    Free Member

105 & open pros? I got some from here. Fine for a bit of canal path too. Or look at his Ambrosio combos or Ultegra. Good value.

zaskar
    Free Member

Hi Cap'Jon,

In the same boat as you, upgrading my winter roadbike (Tiagra hubs.)

Have a look at Fulcrum 7s for commuting and Fulcrum 5 for training and commuting. All under £200.

I also found some Easton Vista SL Wheels reduced from £220 to £160 I think Merlin Cycles.

Remember these wheels will be better than std cheapy but don't compare them against £500 models as these will be better.

Fulcrum used to have shoddy welds on the brake surface but hopefully not on the 5's.

Let us know what you get too.

(Roadies exposed) 8)

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain-and-road-bike-wheels/mavic-fulcrum-and-campagnolo-wheels/

Tempted by the Eastons myself but will drop some weight before I use low spoke count!

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Eastons seem to be pretty robust.My mate has some Easton Orions and he is 16 stone and they are still true as they were 3 years ago.

Spey-Stout
    Free Member

wellhung
    Free Member

105 & open pros? I got some from here. Fine for a bit of canal path too. Or look at his Ambrosio combos or Ultegra. Good value.

That link is to DAve Hinde's e-bay shop, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Just Google his name.

higgo
    Free Member

Never, ever feed Dave Hinde.

higgo
    Free Member

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPPXMODELB/planet-x-model-b-wheelset

Light, strong and only £125 – I don't think anything else comes close unless you're after spangly logos.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Thanks all, i've give those suggestions a look.

I actually got my current wheel from Dave Hinde without any bother at all…

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

+1 for the Planet X Model B's – outstanding value.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

If you doubled the price the Model Bs would still be incredible value, highly recommended.

oldgit
    Free Member

Mavic Aksiums are tough old wheels. They have a fairly H/D rim.

Or these caught my eye Alex A-Class Aurella tubeless sub 1600g and under £200.

Edit. I think Madison or M-Part have DT Swiss on 105 ready to go.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I run these on the commuter. Pretty good actually and at 65 posted they are enormous value. I'll just run them until they drop.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain-and-road-bike-wheels/mavic-fulcrum-and-campagnolo-wheels/shimano-r500-wheels.html

[currently out of stock but other places have them]

tthew

I've a pair of Fulcrum 5 Evo's on my road bike, I understand the original's weren't well thought of but these 2nd generation ones seem ace. 2 'heavy' spokes opposite the rim joint to balance them is a nice touch.

alexxx
    Free Member

does anyone know how much weight id save from upgrading these to open pro's or similar

RIMS GIANT IOU 333
    HUBS GIANT IOU 333
    SPOKES DT competition
    TYRES Kenda 700x26mm

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

no, but I'd hazard that its 'a lot'

I swaped the OEM wheels off my cannondale (shimano hubs, DT spokes, mavic CXP rims) for some shimano r-550 wheels, the difference in acceleration (lower weight) and comfort (less spokes) was fantastic!

Definitely consider r-550 wheels, they're the lightest factory wheels for that money by quite a way. and Shimano hub are overbuilt so the rims are probably disproportionately lighter.

Aksium – 1916g
    R-550 – 1862g

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

priceshaggers have models b's at 99.99 posted, bargain!

alexxx
    Free Member

is there a different between the number or spokes for + or – reasons? im 12stone so dont think weighs a massive issue?

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

32 spoke open pros with a three cross build on the best hubs you can afford. Prefferably bought from your local wheel builder.

higgo
    Free Member

Aksium – 1916g
    R-550 – 1862g

Planet X Model B – 1653g

I'm assuming the two above are weights without skewers but even adding the skewers at 105g the PX still knock the bollocks off them.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Ordered some Model Bs

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some road wheels…’ is closed to new replies.