Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • recommend me some knee pads
  • valleydaddy
    Free Member

As per title.

Off to N. Wales in a couple of weeks, never worried about offs before but as riding for 4 days just want a bit of skin insurance if I do have an off 😆

is it best just to get knee pads of a knee/shin combo??

i ride with spuds if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Pete

nasher
    Free Member

you should be ok but I alwys wer the 661 kyle strait, comfy, flexible and you can wear them on climbs etc…

also keep your knees warm in cold weather

duntstick
    Free Member

+1 on the Kyle Straits, but careful not too big in size.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Got some 661 race knee and shin for dh type action. Quite comfy but would probably strap them to my rucksack for xc.

j-claw
    Free Member

Race Face Dig… More protection than the Kyle Straits, last longer & just as comfortable.

Northwind

Kyle Straits are great, extremely comfortable even for epic rides, so I just wear them all the time. Lifespan seems a little limited, mine are nearly dead as the inner lining is roughing up slightly but then, they're pretty well used now. I might try something different next time but mainly just out of curiosity, Troy Lee or Digs or maybe the new Foxes. Maybe POC.

sambob
    Free Member

661 earth pads, exactly the same as straits, but brown sides. really comfy and dont get too hot, but keep your knees warm 🙂

jam-bo

Got some new POCS on the way, I'll let you know how they are after the weekend.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

cheers all for the info I'll get searching for best deals now.

blue_mountain_goat
    Free Member

POC's are fantastic. Had my set for the last 10 months and they have seen a LOT of action (click the link above 😉 )

valleydaddy
    Free Member

(click the link above )

where's the link b_m_g???

stevede
    Free Member

661 evo's, pricy but as comfy as you'll get. Sometimes forget i'm wearing them. Kyle straits are a better value close second.

blue_mountain_goat
    Free Member

Click my name.

Northwind

Yeah, if I wanted full pads it'd be POC Bones, no doubt whatsoever, they're superb… But I'm not sure their knee pads are as brilliant, they don't seem bad at all but not awesome either.

ojom
    Free Member

We only do POC body armour.

(Jamie your pads left us today after we spoke so you will get em tomorrow – Jim same for you)

Johnboy373
    Free Member

LOL@Blue mountain goat. Your blooody mad 😆

blue_mountain_goat
    Free Member

😀 😀 😀

blue_mountain_goat
    Free Member

That's great Mr Bike Chain, thanks. Top service, very refreshing. 8)

ojom
    Free Member

Northwind – this years are re-designed. They have side protection now as well. Plus… the sizing is much more realistic.

You in Edinburgh? Come and try some on.

Ambrose

Pete- I've some 661's and some Dainesse freestyle padss you are welcome to borrow if you want.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

b_m_g your freeekin awesome man!!!! love it 😆

so is it worth getting full pads or just knees I'm not likely to do any DH stuff mainly XC/all mountain stuff???

will look on bike chain for pocs

MuddyRose
    Free Member

I use the 661 Kyle Straight knee pads – Is it too much of a cliche if i say that i forget i'm wearing them?! Ive just recently started using them as an upgrade from my 661 veggie shin and knee pads (i still use these for gnarlier stuff though) I'd recommend either 🙂 Both are neoprene which means they're comfy and don't cause any restriction.

+1 Kyle Straits, although I've never tried owt else

bomberman
    Free Member

as a slight hijack here, if i'm right on the measurement for the medium 661 kyle straits, should i get the medium or go for the small?

cue the chicken legs jokes…..

blue_mountain_goat
    Free Member

Thanks V_D. I should think you would just want knees.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

cheers for the offer Ambrose but of the thinking I need my own to "insure" my knees 😉

problem working in the field I do, surgeons giving me scare stories 😕

specializedneeds

My Kyle Straits have started to rub behind the knee. I saw some very similar Fox ones in a mag recently – they had the whole area behind the knee cut away which seems like a good idea. Can't remember the name though.

votchy
    Free Member

Another 661 Kyle Strait user here, never used pads before but tried them as a little confidence booster, have worn them all winter and as said above, once you start riding you really don't notice them and after last nights off I can vouch they work too, not sure how I managed it but seemed to 'naturally, land knees first in one of those comedy dismounts the wrong way on an off camber section (3bears at Wyre if anyone's interested)

jedi

fuse do a soft cap bmx pad that's cheap and very comfy

Rochey
    Free Member

Hi Valleydaddy,

I have a full set for sale in interested, V can Shin and Elbow pads and Fox knee pads, I will never use these and it would be good to let them go to a good home, let me know if interested.

Rochey

PS, See post in Classifieds.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Rochey I'll have a look on classifieds now ta

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I bought some knee and shin pads combined and i hate them. Can't get used to them at all. So I'm looking to get just knee and elbow pads if anyone can recommend some?

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I bought some knee and shin pads combined and i hate them. Can't get used to them at all. So I'm looking to get just knee and elbow pads if anyone can recommend some?

valleydaddy
    Free Member

a lot of shouts for 661 kyle straits and poc

Rochey
    Free Member

Valleydaddy, tried to mail you, mail bounced back, e mail me at sheiATskyDOTcom for pics.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Rochey YGM

mark@joy-riders.com
    Free Member

I swear by RaceFace Rally FR Knee/Shin combo. Bulky to carry, but offer the best all round protection. Especially recommended on rocky terrain. They've saved my knees a number of times!

shermer75
    Free Member

POST HIJACK!! 😉 Thanks for starting the topic valleydaddy, it's really useful. I'm gonna get some 661 Kyle Straits, but what is the sizing issue that dunstick pointed out exactly? My LBS doesn't stock, so gonna have to order from the compu-web…

Northwind

Thebikechain wrote, "Northwind – this years are re-designed. They have side protection now as well. Plus… the sizing is much more realistic.

You in Edinburgh? Come and try some on. "

TBH I'm pretty sure I'll get another set of Kyle Straits, they've been brilliant for me and they're not expensive. But I'll be by your place checking out the full leg ones at some point.

specializedneeds

I swear by RaceFace Rally FR Knee/Shin combo. Bulky to carry, but offer the best all round protection. Especially recommended on rocky terrain. They've saved my knees a number of times!

+1
    I wear mine on every ride, just like my helmet. I don't even notice them and it didn't take long for my pals to forget about them, especially after one showed us his patella last summer (he still can't ride and walks with a limp, even after 6 operations).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘recommend me some knee pads’ is closed to new replies.