Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Recommend me some great big ****-off fat tyres for the quagmire that awaits
  • binners

Think I've stretched the not-so-fat fast rolling days about as far as they're going to go.

So your recommendations please ladies and gents for some big fat tyres that are going to stand even the slightest chance of maintaining some grip in the boggy hell that the entire north of England is about to become for the next six months

Thanks

philconsequence
    Free Member

he awaits…..

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Skinnier tyres is what you want for mud, Binners. 1.8-2.0 max, or your frame'll get all clogged up with mud.

My mud tyres are Conti Survival Pro, which are fantastic, but I don't know what the current equivalent is, or about other ones.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I think he knows that, but wants something more useful elsewhere. Thin tyres can be pretty pinbally on rock etc.

I think them there Bonty Muds come in a 2.2, many people dribble on about how they're pretty decent tyres on most stuff, while capable in mud, whereas most 'mud' tyres are woeful in anything other than hub depth filth. Otherwise you could run a swampthing on the front and a Bonty 'mud on the back?

FWIW I find 2.35 highrollers just dandy in gloop.

WackoAK
    Free Member

2.35 swampthings are decent in anything but loose,dry conditions.

I've got a set of 2.35 dual-ply maxxpro on the hardtail and they roll well in most situations and are obviously good in mud.

Splash-man
    Free Member

I run 2.4 WTB Timberwolfs on my Dawg. Look pretty much like MX tyre.
    Not very fast but great through thick gloopy stuff 🙂

Wozza
    Free Member

Conti Verts have always been reliable for me but lately I've been running a Schwalbe Smart Sam on the back, seems pretty good on and off the road.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Michelin Wildgriprs pump up pretty fat (a bit bigger than a 2.25 Nobby Nic) and so far seem to grip well without clogging.
    I'm keen to try the 2.4 Continental Rubber Queens but I'll wait until the £25 wire beaded version is available rather than the folding options which are twice that.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Maxxis Minion front and High Roller rear here.

I had to fight the urge to post "Small Block 8s and a does of MTFU" 🙂

GaryLake
    Free Member

Mud X.

I hate mud tyres for the reasons ADH listed, was pleasantly surprised by the Mud Xs…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some great big ****-off fat tyres for the quagmire that awaits’ is closed to new replies.