Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Lightweight walking jackets – suggestions please
  • CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I have a Mountain Hardware 3 layer proshell jacket but getting a bit long in the tooth so looking for a replacement that will be used Spring to Autumn.

Don't need any bike related features. Want I do want is:
    Very breatheable
    Lots of venting
    Fully waterproof (not softshell)
    External map pocket

Budget up to about £200 – I prefer to buy top stuff and keep it for ages.

Your suggestions please

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I've got a Montane Quickfire and like it a lot. It's eVent, has two chest pockets (one of which will take a map), and while it doesn't have any pit zips the pockets are mesh so you can vent through them. As you'd expect it's quite short but the hood is pretty decent and everything you need is there. Think they were £175 a couple of years ago.

r6ymy
    Free Member

Lots of venting might be a problem, most of the really light jackets I've been looking at strip away features to cut down the weight, so less zips and openings.

If you don't mind a smock look at the Rab Demand, nice design, good fit as long as you're a reasonably slim build, about 280g, and eVent fabric. They're £135 in Go Outdoors, and if you went down today there's an extra 15% off everything.
    If you want a full zip then there's the Rab Demand, similar features, also eVent.

Haglofs do the Ozo smock in Goretex Paclite, super light at 180g, more expensive at about £180.

Rab, Montane, Haglofs – all do nice kit, you need to see what fits you, and is the best compromise of weight, features, durability, breathability for you.

For good info on lightweight walking gear have a look at this site, this guy is into walking, biking, camping and does good real world tests of kit
    PTC

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Thanks guys, good feedback.

Personally I don't like smocks for walking as I don't reckon you get enough venting potential. Will definitely look at Haglofs as I have some other kit from them and reckon they are about the best around at the moment.

Never really looked at Rab or Montane. How does eVent compare to Goretex Paclite?

Anyone got any more specific suggestions from their own experience? I know there are lots of walkers on here.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

How does eVent compare to Goretex Paclite?

Betterer, IMO. More breathable, which is key when a jacket is done up against the elements! Needs repeated washing, but then what doesn't?

b1galus
    Free Member

i have used Rab stuff for years used to get a new one every year till i realised half my family and friends were wearing my old ones and were all still in great nick.

TomHill
    Free Member

I like my OMM kamelika smock – they do a jacket version as well. Slightly stretchy, not too pricey, alright weight, and while no eVent, it's breathable enough for me.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Thanks – will definitely look at stuff using eVent

Surely somebody has got an opinion on North Face (which for the last couple of years I haven't rated at all), and Mountain Equipment?

boblo
    Free Member

I have both the Demand and the Oz (precurser to the Ozo). I use the Demand when it's colder or wetter, and the Oz when I expect to mainly carry it.

There's nothing to choose between them on fit, finish or features though the Demand is probably a bit harder wearing as the fabric is slightly heavier. They both perform equally well/badly for l/w breathable smocks.

I'd buy either again.

I also have an ME Matrix (Packlite) and an Ogre (full weight Gore-Tex). Great mountaineering jackets but a bit heavy in this company. Lots of good features on ME and very nicely designed.

The only North Face jacket I have is an Hy-Vent ski jacket. It's pretty good and the Hy-Vent seems like a good fabric though I haven't used it in similar conditions to the above (i.e. only used for skiing).

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I have a Berghaus Extrem Fortitude Pro shell, light and very waterproof, with core venting gismos, but then they all are waterproof to start off with. Trick is to find something that's still as good 2 years later.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

OK, thanks all

Tyredocter
    Free Member

gooutdoors.co.uk

unsponsored
    Free Member

Montane limited ed. DT stretch

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Best jacket I've ever had (and still have) is a Finisterre Stormtrack – extremely light, very "fitted" and totally waterproof and breathable.

They are over budget new/this years range but often discounted if last years stock:

http://www.finisterreuk.com/technicalsurfapparel/mens/storm-track-09/10-p133-c26.html

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight walking jackets – suggestions please’ is closed to new replies.