Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • recommend me some forks
  • hora
    Free Member

Criteria:

Must have compression, not assed about lockout. 150 or 160 travel and 20mm bolt through.

NOT expensive.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Fox forks. Meets your criteria apart from the expensive bit.

crikey
    Free Member

rickon
    Free Member

Rockshox Sektor, brilliant value for money and super plush, loads of good deals about too. Less than 350 I believe, and dont be put of bby the low pprice tag, they punch well above their weight.

Mackem

Sektor.

steel4real
    Free Member

Hey Mark – it’s that last bit “not expensive” that you are going to struggle with.
    Not sure why you ask as you seem to be constantly changing, or is that wrecking, forks.
    I agree with the guys above, RS Sektors with 20mm maxle light. Possibly the only ‘not expensive’ forks worth considering. If getting coil, try LoCo or TFTuned as I figure you may need a heavier spring than standard. The compression adjustment isn’t great, but what do you need it for anyway???
    May have to wait for 2012 models though, these are not U Turn, but ‘2 step coil’.

roddi18
    Free Member

Sektors new or talas 36’s used

rickon
    Free Member

Just a little bit more info…

The Sektors have a detented compression adjustment, that works much better than the pre 2011 Moco knob.

They’re as plush as Revelation Races, or the RLs as they’ll now be called. The Sektor doesn’t have high speed compression damping – but still is a very sweet feeling fork, personally I think they’re nice than Fox 140RLs.

+1 for LoCo too 🙂 ask him to get you some in, and set them up for your weight and style of riding – I guarantee you’ll be impressed.

hora
    Free Member

I’ve had my 36 float r’s for over a year (18mnths I think) but they cameback from a service and I kinda fell out of love with them.

I keep looking at the sektors but there don’t seem to be any ‘cheap’ deals left 🙁

Mackem

Bike-components.de have been cheap for sektors.

steel4real
    Free Member

Hey rickon – that is interesting, my compression adjustment doesn’t seem to be all that effective, but then I am comparing to Fox vanilla RLC’s.

Are you running the solo air or coil version ?

Maybe I need to have a look inside mine, sadly I didn’t actually get mine from LoCo as he was out of 2011 stock, but he was so generous with advice etc. I was impressed & would otherwise have bought from him. Fortunately at 11.5 stone or so I seem to suit the standard spring.

steel4real
    Free Member

Hora – the thing is most places had them for about £320 – £350 when the RRP was £390 – £420, pretty cheap ?

RS Sektor Coil U turn = £320 !

But you will almost certainly need a different spring ? That is going to be £50, so if TFT have them and set them up for you at £360 then it’s probably worth it ??

steel4real
    Free Member

Also, Solo airs on the bay for £300 !

£300 on the bay

How cheap do you think you can get them ???

rickon
    Free Member

Steel…

Mine are solo air, but i’d have thought the damper leg would be the same (?).

The compression adjust is definitely noticeable between the detents. Does your lockout work when the compression is fully closed? and if so, how much travel do you have left?

hora
    Free Member

50quid for a mid level fork spring? Strewth. On the solo air can you adjust the compression?

rickon
    Free Member

Yep 🙂 and it’s pretty good adjustment too, the detents seem to make a very noticeable difference between settings.

Like I said, if you’ve ridden a Revelation – you’ll know how the fork feels.

nuke

How cheap do you think you can get them ???

How about €259.11 (roughly £225) for Sektor Coil U-Turn….

http://www.probikeshop.com/rockshox-sektor-rl-coil-uturn-fork-110-150-maxlelite-15mm-white-2011/68095.html

…although QR15

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve got a lovely pair of Lyriks…… Now where did they come from…? Hmmmmm? 😉

steel4real
    Free Member

Hey rickon – thanks for the input.

Yes – the damping is the same.

My lock out isn’t a total lock out, if you push hard they move 30-40mm and if you push very, very hard, can move further slowly.

Is that how yours are ?

rickon
    Free Member

I’d assume there’s not enough oil in the damper leg…. I may be wrong though… but there shouldn’t be that much movement in them, 10mm max i’d say when fully locked.

Like I said, I could be wrong – worth starting a thread I reckon to get some feedback.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Why do you want compression damping adjustment?

Northwind

What are they for?

Bagstard
    Free Member

Just get your floats converted to coil. I went from lyrik coils to van r’s and was concerned by the lack of compression adjustment, but I love the new fork and there is less to fiddle with. The standard compression tune is spot on for me, just under 15 stone in kit.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘recommend me some forks’ is closed to new replies.