Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • recommend me new gear cables
  • bomberman
    Free Member

who’s got what?

alexpalacefan

Same as I always say, Gore sealed. Had ’em on my bike for 2 years, not had to clean cables or adjust the rear mech in all that time.

A

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Shimano XTR everytime

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cheapo generic cables – last a couple of years or more. Simple to fit, cheap to replace. They just work

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it / why reinvent the wheel / KISS

z1ppy

SP41 cable (xtr) a 10m reel from Parker international.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I would say XTR as well as the Gore ones as soooo expensive. The Gore one did last a long time IMHO – get a long real of outer SP41 as it works out cheaper 😉

nickc

Anything really, it’s just wound steel cables. Outers, I use SP41, but pretty much anything will do, as long as it’s set up right, and you give it a squirt of lube every now and again, should last a couple of years as TJ suggests.

tinsy
    Free Member

Full length outer have been a revelation for me, fit and forget, but as its time to replace mine now, I bought some nice looking fibrax braided cables from CRC (only a fiver) and some Middleburn cable oilers to make it really last.

On the other bike that has 3 peice cables I have not swapped to full length as yet, (though I might) its had XTR on it, and has lasted well, but do need a little TLC if been sat in the shed a while after a wash.

jfeb
    Free Member

Gore Ride-Ons. Take a bit longer to fit but last forever.

GolfChick
    Free Member

the bf and i use flying snakes, brilliant if you cant run full outters but watch out near your frame as the outters are strong as nails and will rub through your paint rather quickly!

Northwind

Shimano XTR… Though the kit isn’t great for full outers, because they stupidly pre-cut the hose. I’m yet to find out how long they last, put it that way.

nicko74

Another vote for Gore Ride-Ons – I set mine up sometimes last spring and not had to touch them since. The only potential downer is that if you have to change your shifters, you could have to re-cable the whole length (which is a bit pricy with Gores)

bigyinn
    Free Member

So there we have it the definitive STW answer, buy the cheapest, most expensive, full outer, split gear cables, with and without a liner and you cant go wrong! Sheesh!

Olly
    Free Member

shimano XT off the reel, full length outers.

fit
    and
    forget

timber

after seeing power cords, have wondered about some high strength fishing line with a knot in the end, would have to be a static line though to avoid stretch, anyone know owt about fishing?

timber

wikipedia says it would need be superline multi filament stuff to not stretch and remain thin

timber

breaking strength for shifting?
    looks cheap, won’t rust, stuuuuuupid light

giantjason
    Free Member

Gore ride on have been great on my bike and have had no issues

bomberman
    Free Member

In the end i went for the CRC deal – prelubed xt outers in 60cm lengths ( 4 needed) for £1-75 and an XT inner. A complete XT gear cable set for 9 quid!

jonb
    Free Member

Brand X teflon coated cables and XT outers. Never noticed much difference between brands but this has worked for me. Run full outers so no worries about mud or water getting in.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘recommend me new gear cables’ is closed to new replies.