Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Recommend me a website host
  • mountaincarrot
    Free Member

I’m fed up with reading and believing on-line reviews then finding the provider is in fact useless. I’ve tried two now, latest is “Mr Site” which seems to have good reviews, but when it comes down to it their editing software is incredibly buggy, which makes it time consuming and deeply irritating to use.

I want to keep costs down, very small business.

Who uses what and is it good?

clubber
    Free Member

their editing software

By the sounds of it, you’re after more than a website host then – you’re really after a company to provide a website that you can then customise, right?

nbt

speak to shaun @ aegis design

http://aegisdesign.co.uk/

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Hi clubber.
    No. The bottom-end providers don’t (in my experience) seem to allow one to use raw HTML, but they seem to provide their own WYSIWYG on-line editor tools. Certainly this is what Mr Site dos. To use your own tools would cost more. It’s the quality of that on-line editor which is rubbish in the case I describe.

I’d be happy to use a proper off-line tool, but if so would want to find reasonably priced host who would accept HTML.

nickjb
    Free Member

I use one.com. They have templates and on-line HTML editing or you can use FTP to upload your own stuff. Only £10.50 for the first year and that includes a £50 google adwords voucher (which really works) and free 24 hour web chat help

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Thanks nic. Does there on-line chat/help actually answer queries fast? And have you found any really irritating editor bugs, or does it all work fine?

xiphon
    Free Member

UnitedHosting – around £5/month, and excellent support too.

clubber
    Free Member

In that case, I’ve been with 1and1.co.uk for a few years now for personal and club websites and can’t think of any issues I’ve had and it definitley allows straight HTML coding.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

OK, three good sounding suggerstions there, I’ll look’em up tonight.
    Ta

nickjb
    Free Member

Does there on-line chat/help actually answer queries fast? And have you found any really irritating editor bugs, or does it all work fine?

On line chat help has been good. I’ve only used it a couple of times, you chat to a real person, only takes a few seconds to connect. Answered my questions OK. I only used the editor briefly to fix a couple of typos and it was fine, handy when you are out and about. I tend to edit the HTML file offline then upload it which is quick and easy with notepad++ and filezilla or the editing package of your choice. The only bug I’ve noticed so far was that the on-line file manager didn’t work with my version of firefox but that is fixed.

almightydutch
    Free Member

I’ve used Uk2.net for about two years. Seem ok to me but not had experience of others.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a website host’ is closed to new replies.