Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Recommend me a seatpost – seriously!
  • julioflo
    Free Member

err after a new 27.2 seatpost.

What is a ‘good’ one to get for XC riding?
    What is ‘special’ about Thompson ones?

[Also am I really worrying about things to much by asking this and should get a life?]

Cheers

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Thomson Masterpiece.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I’m tall and fat so use a long seatpost. Ive bent every 27.2 I’ve used except for 2. One was carbon, I snapped that instead. The other is a Thomson. That’s still as straight as when I bought it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigyinn
    Free Member

+1 for Thomson, I didn’t buy one because its bling, but because it doesnt actually bend / break. Im around 17st in my riding kit.
    Also the clamp is solid, the bolts don’t rust and it doesn’t creak.

jam-bo

I didn’t buy my thompson but it’s been faultless since Ive had it, and sharki had it before me.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Thomson, I only had one different from that and it was a £20 jobbie that didnt even last the first ride on it-bent like a banana.
    I am also a 17 and a half stone+ kit rider on a hardtail that goes everywhere my mates full sussers go.

julioflo
    Free Member

Well i’m not that heavy and haven’t bent a seatpost yet [my current 27.2 is corroded into an old steel frame awaiting surgery] but have been annoyed by rusting bolts and tricky adjustment….so is adjustment easier on a Thomson?

ton

thomson here too, always used it too.
    20 stone and never bent or broke one.

ritchiearmstrong
    Free Member

Thomson all the way.

wheelie

Van Nicholas Ti for comfort!

tony24
    Free Member

how about easton ec90 or ec70 both carbon super strong look smart and merlin usually have great price’s

TheBrick
    Free Member

Wow, impressive weights is STW full of wobbling beer bellies?!

joolsburger
    Free Member

Thomson.

zbonty

If you can find one-Salsa jobbie. Though I think they stopped making them. Great bit of kit though with independent rail clamp/angle adjustment. Mine’s never creaked or mis-behaved.

Suggsey
    Free Member

No not just beer, whiskey and pies too. 😆
    Point is Thomson posts are strong for their weight and relaible too as well as ver easy to set up or adjust. Comnbined with a good seatpost clamp thats looked after/greased ie a Hope seatpost QR clamp its still cheaper than any remote dropper…..

donsimon
    Free Member

I’ve got an Airborne (Van Nicholas) ti jobbie and can’t complain. It is bent though… (Is that a complaint?).

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im 6’5″, so im not THAT fat.

jedi

thompson. always

RobHilton
    Free Member

Ti posts are v. nice for XC hardtails

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Thompson for me.Won’t go back to easton after a EA70 snapped clean in two when I was commuting to work one day.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Syncros used to be the benchmark for strong posts. I broke a couple of those when thomson were new to the scene. Never looked back. Thomson stem and post on everything.

andrewh
    Free Member

Had USE ones before as nice and light. Bust a carbon one (while using it on a turbo!), one has a head which rotates in the post and the other is siezed into the frame (and the head rotates if I try to extract it)
    My other frame has a Thomson Masterpiece, a little heavier but not silly heavy, but so far flawless.
    If you are more worried about weight try a Schmolke TLO.

HermanShake
    Free Member

No one’s mentioned droppers yet! Gravity Dropper, ugly but excellent.

mboy
    Free Member

Why are Thomson (no “p”) so popular?

They’re as good as impossible to break. They’re not the lightest, but they aren’t especially heavy and anything lighter (and most heavier) is significantly weaker. Forget the 120kg+ blokes on here, I’m 75kg and have bent and broken posts in the past, but funnily enough not yet a Thomson…

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Have a look at easton haven. Their stem and post looks like they got hold of Thomson and tried to figure out how to improve on them. And the answer was to copy them and then polish the hell out of them rather than leave the machining marks in like thomson (and hope) do.

totalshell

16’3lb and my thomson creaks.. i’m keeping the post but aiming to lose 2st.. it ll be cheaper.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a seatpost – seriously!’ is closed to new replies.