Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Recommend me a Peak District route please
  • chakaping
    Free Member

I’ll be stopping off for a ride on my way up the M6 next Monday.

I have both the Dark and White Peak VG books. I understand the former is the better area in winter. I know I saw a thread on this last week but searched and can’t find it.

So what route from these would you recommend for rocky, technical, winter peak district fun – not too far from the M-way please?

🙂

Blower
    Free Member

get yersen darn Parkin Clough and then up onto derwent edge etc

crazy-legs

It’s a fair old trek from the M6…
    M56, M60 then out through Stockport or coming off at Stoke, going through Leek, Buxton and Chapel. At least an hour from the M6 whichever way you do it.

The Hayfield Classic loop (Hayfield, Mt Famine, South Head, Roych Clough, Rushup Edge, Mam Tor, Edale, Barber Booth, Jacobs Ladder, Coldwell Clough, Hayfield) is usually OK although Rushup Edge gets boggy.

Esme
    Free Member

Not readily accessible from the M6, unfortunately 🙁

I’d recommend a modified version of the Wildboarclough route (p145 in White Peak Book), cutting across from the A54 down Cumberland Clough. This is an excellent rocky descent, as is Charity Lane.

Esme
    Free Member

Or slightly different:
    Grit and Gears

chakaping
    Free Member

Thanks, actually I could come up the M1 instead then cross over afterwards. That would be more sensible.

Parkin Clough looks ace. Hayfield was on my hit list after reading the guidebook, but are there better options if coming from the other side?

Sorry to mess you around.

🙂

nbt

If you’re coming across from the M1 then Hope would be a good starting point for many fine rides, such as the loop that Crazy legs describes. FOr even more fun you could start the ride here

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=409125&Y=382482&A=Y&Z=120

As you long as you ride the loop clockwise (the right way – the opposite way to that described by the pigheaded fool Crazy Legs) you then start with the descent into Roych Clough and finish with the descent down the Sunken Road. No facilities other than a layby, though…

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheers, will get off at Chesterfield and head in on A623 then. Looks a lot easier than driving through Sheffield.

Anybody free and fancy a ride next Monday?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a Peak District route please’ is closed to new replies.