Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • Recommend me a novel please
  • mossimus
    Free Member

dti – Member

Child 44 – set in Stalinist Russia.

This is excellent, his second book “The secret Speech” is also good, his third is on my to read list

IHN

I read John Steinbeck’s Grapes of Wrath and East of Eden 25 years apart and think both are utterly outstanding. I reckon any author who can seem as brilliant to you at 46 as 21 has to be pretty good.

+1 (except 35 and 17 in my case).

Also, Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. Wonderful, wonderful book.

LeeW

Harry Sidebottom, Warrior of Rome series is pretty good.

finbar
    Free Member

Loads of excellent suggestions so far. I’ll add anything by Hermann Hesse. Siddhartha and The Glass Bead Game are two of my favourite books.

Next on my list of books i ought to read is The Razor’s Edge by Somerset Maughn (though what i’m actually reading is The Dragon Keeper by Robin Hobb).

I’d also like to read some Waugh. Where’s a good place to start?

noteeth
    Free Member

Second my My Name is Red by Orhun Pamuk – fantastic book.

Also second McCarthy – Blood Meridian is stunning, although Suttree, The Orchard Keeper and The Crossing are probably my faves.

If you are a fan of 19th century historical faction fiction, The siege of Krishnapur by JG Farrell is an excellent read – a bitingly funny, if grim, account of the British in India, by an author whose life was cut tragically short.

I’m currently waiting on a library copy of The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt – seems to have good reviews.

TheFopster
    Free Member

+1 for Raymond Chandler. Loved them all.

Just read “The Sisters Brothers”. A warped western (no really). Very good but also an easy read.

A big fan of Iain Banks in either version – with or without the “M” (latter are sci fi but well written and intelligent, may be worth a go even if you think you “don’t like that sort of thing”)

And as you are thinking about Rushdie, I thought that both Midnight’s Children and Shame were brilliant.

Good luck!

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

“midnight’s children” is brilliant,i was quite surprised. i also enjoyed the siege of krishnapur, it’s a good read to with a slight historical leaning.
    my next book to read is “the adventures of kavalier and clay” by michael chabon, has been highly, highly recommended to me.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I, Partridge – Alan Partridge. Highbrow stuff.

Jezkidd
    Free Member

The remains of the day, excellent and historical

Cletus

As a “left field” suggestion try The Demon Princes by Jack Vance

bampot
    Free Member

For historical reference my fave is still “Musashi” by Eiji Yoshikawa (think I’ve spelt that right 8O). Romanticised biography of their greatest warrior. One big book though…

For giggles +1 on the Chris Brookmyres.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Not Catcher In The Rye. it’s rubbish. I gave it a try. I just didn’t get it. “it” being some sort of meaningful work of poetry and thoughtfulness of the age, of being young n rebellious or something. so what. I read it, and it was rubbish. The protagonist was a dickhead. This is The Modern review right here!

langy
    Free Member

Read most of Rushdie’s stuff – the new(er) Enchantress of Florence is good too.

Anything by Haruki Murakami – 1Q84 is really good so far; though I’ve only got through book 1 and most of 2 (of 3); Xmas and my son’s arrival stalled that a bit lately.

user-removed
    Free Member

No more historical novels for you. Seems you’ve read enough. Try something fun which retains depth; The Ginger Man by JP Donleavy would be an excellent start – there by the grace of God go I, and all that…

If you really feel the need to read an improving historical novel though, perhaps around the time of the Brontes, but without the patina of wealth, try; A Scots Quair by Grassic Gibbon. There’s little in the way of romance, fun or anything approaching a connection to modern life, but you’ll come away from it with a satisfied glow.

Saccades
    Free Member

just a bookmark really – although i’ll recommend conn igludden for some excellent livening up of ghenghis khan/julius ceaser etc.

Nick

Vonnegut, especially Slaughterhouse 5

noteeth
    Free Member

1Q84 is really good so far; though I’ve only got through book 1 and most of 2 (of 3)

I’ve not long finished part 3. I thought 1 & 2 were good, but it did seem like HM was occasionally treading water (though everything was still pleasingly weird). But suffice to say, Part 3 is brilliant & perfectly paced – I really enjoyed it.

boltonjon

Halfway through Stephen King’s latest novel 11.22.63

Bloody good so far!!

bonchance
    Free Member

2nd some of Steinbeck – over many years and readings remains nearly as vivid as personal memory.. McCarthy, Melville, Hemmingway. I seem to be in a groove of Americana – enjoy it none the less.. Run it forward to American Psycho!

_tom_
    Free Member

About halfway through Stieg Larsson’s Millennium Series, great reads so far 🙂

nick1962
    Free Member

A few curve ball classics from yesteryear to blow your mind…..
    Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance-Robert Pirsig
    Valis-Phillip K Dick
    Electric koolaid acid test-Tom Wolfe
    On the Road-Jack Kerouac
    The Dice Man-Luke Rhineheart
    The doors of Perception-Aldous Huxley

Philby

To Kill a Mockingbird is a beautiful novel. Also The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseni.

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

Kevev’s wonderful review of catcher is bang on. Would also work as a review for “on the road”.

2bit

Thoroughly enjoyed ‘The Religion’ by Tim Willocks based on the seige of Malta: Historical fiction on the islam v christianity clash at Malta with great characters & action.

Also loved ‘Gates of Fire’ by Steven Pressfield, based on the Battle of Thermopylae (300).

Both far from high brow but right entertaining & a little bit educational (watching mastermind on TV I got a question right thanks to ‘The Religion’!)

mefty
    Free Member

If you enjoy Chandler, then you should read Dashiel Hammett, who in my view is the king of that genre, The Maltese Falcon being a good start. Other writers in that genre would be James M Cain and David Goodis.

Raymond Carver was a truly great short story writer.

If you are after historical/political thrillers, Robert Harris is worth reading, especially Pompeii, Imperium and Lustrum.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

+1 Conn Igulden

Conquerer series was really enjoyable. Genghis Khan and his clan are some mean ass mo fo’s.

Stuey01
    Free Member

James Ellroy:
    From the LA Quartet:
    The Black Dahlia (just a brilliant, brilliant book)

The Underworld USA trilogy:
    American Tabloid (brilliant)
    The Cold Six Thousand (very good)
    Blood’s a Rover (final in the trilogy – just started it)

instanthit
    Free Member

perhaps not quite in the historical setting but certainly “period” books; Huckelberry Finn – Mark Twain, Kidnapped- RL Stevenson, Kim – Rudyard Kipling.
    And totally different have just finished Wheel of Time Trilogy – Robert Jordan.

SkillWill
    Free Member

I enjoyed On The Beach by Nevil Shute recently. A post-apocalyptic story of life following WWIII. Very good, would like to read more stories like that as I also read too few fiction books.

boltonjon

Nick1962 has recommended a classic book

The Diceman is awesome

I bet that you’ll start making decisions using a dice before the week is out!!

It got me into all sorts of trouble 8 years back!! 😀

bobbyg81
    Free Member

The Diceman is awesome

I forgot about that one. If it doesn’t mess with your head, nothing will! Definately one of those ‘important’ novels.

Anyone mentiones ‘Perfume’ by Patrick Suskind yet? Don’t let the shite film of it put you off. It’s a cracking read.

supertramp
    Free Member

Kevkevs – I agree ‘Catcher in the Rye’ is nothing special.

I just read and enjoyed Anna Karinina by Leo Tolstoy – brilliant on a kindle, to heavy to hold up for long enough to read it in hard back!

I also have a first edition hard back of ‘The Satanic Verses’ sitting on my desk waiting for my attention to focus.

mcboo
    Free Member

Sitrep : Finished The Long Goodbye. Great thing about Philip Marlowe detective novels is you dont have to work too hard, it’s just like watching a Bogart movie, lovely.

Half way through Fear and Loathing…..couple of cup cakes.

Next up, Midnight’s Children.

yunki
    Free Member

not really my usual fayre but I’ve just really enjoyed ‘The Russia House’ by John Le Carre (The Spy Who Came In From The Cold etc)

TheFlyingOx

I always say the same to this question: Birds Without Wings, Louis de Brunettes. I never wanted to get to the end.
    Also recently read The Human Stain, Philip K Dick. Very good indeed.

+1 for Haruki Marukami as well.

deluded
    Free Member

As I and others have previously recommended on this thread – James Ellroy. Do it.

However, if you like Amis and Rushdie, I would suggest a book by their recently departed mate Christopher Hitchens entitled ‘Arguably’.

willjones
    Free Member

Man booker shortlist is always a good starting place. +1 for ‘On the Road’. Just read and LOVED The Sisters Brothers by Patrick de Witt

sockpuppet

my next book to read is “the adventures of kavalier and clay” by michael chabon, has been highly, highly recommended to me.

I wholeheartedly agree; a fine read

An Artist of the Floating World is another excellent title by Kazuo Ishiguro

Early Douglas Coupland is also good fun, although his later work often seems a little like a recycling of his ideas. I really like Microserfs.

i’m also a little taken aback that no-one has mentioned Time Traveller’s Wife. While I admit it doesn’t fit the OP’s historical request, it’s a wonderfully simple idea beautifully executed. One of my all time favourites. Shame about the dire movie they made, but fell free to ignore that, if you can…

IdleJon

noteeth – Member

1Q84 is really good so far; though I’ve only got through book 1 and most of 2 (of 3)

I’ve not long finished part 3. I thought 1 & 2 were good, but it did seem like HM was occasionally treading water (though everything was still pleasingly weird). But suffice to say, Part 3 is brilliant & perfectly paced – I really enjoyed it.

Hmmm, I disagree. I finished Parts 1 & 2, thoroughly enjoyed them, read a short book in between and started Book 3.

Nothing happened in the final book. Absolutely nothing. A very disappointing finish to a promising story. It came across as a beautifully written attempt to appease fans of the initial story who wanted more, and that Murakami couldn’t work out how to finish the book.

I’d still recommend Murakami though! 😉

beej

IdleJon – are you me? Exactly the same experience, I had to drag myself to the end of book three. And still nothing really happened. I guess it’s too deep and meaningful for me.

James Ellroy is good, didn’t get on with the writing style in the Cold Six Thousand – to stylised into short sentences. Loved all his stuff up to that.

James Lee Burke is a fave.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a novel please’ is closed to new replies.