Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Recommend me a map holder…
  • squeekybrakes
    Free Member

…for all day rides that I can attach either to the bars or the stem and that doesn't rattle around and is nice and light.

DWH
    Free Member
    Edric64
    Free Member

How do they justify nearly 60 quid I could make one using perspex or polycarb sheet and jubilee clips for a few quid!
    Having said that I bought one in Lidl for a fiver

Limy
    Free Member

Klickfix are really easy to use. Click Here

cinnamon_girl

I used to make them from a cut-down A4 clipboard holder plus zip ties, having bought a few of the perspex ones that break after crashing.

Now I just print out from mapping software, put in plastic A4 pocket and either shove in pocket or use a velcro fitting food holder thingy that fits on the top tube.

cinnamon_girl
    keppoch

I've used a few and IMO the 'Freeliner' version here is excellent, not too big, easy to take off, degree of waterproofing and you can rotate the map.

The first one posted will have serious speed implications due to surface area!

http://www.mapkiosk.com/pages/kcyclemapholder.html

keppoch.

Nick

Seen all those political party placards ziptied to lampposts? Help yourself.

Cut to size, make holes in the righ places (hint, you'll need 3 groups of 2 holes) three reusable zip ties and three rubber bands = very light and free map holder.

squeekybrakes
    Free Member

That Miry one looks the business but £60 for a map holder… Does the Klickfox one rattle as it seems to click into the stem-mounted holder? I have used a cheapie one from Lidl before but this rattles like mad…

crispybacon
    Free Member

this one is best when closely following a riding buddy 😉

cinnamon_girl

Ha ha!!

Have you thought of using a gps?

The-Badger
    Free Member

I used to use a board for trailquests as you need to be constantly looking at it while riding – as a tight ar** i used to use a small piece of painted hardboard with holes in and zip tie to the handlebar and stem – rigid and no rattles, then use a A4/A5 copied map in a plastic wallet held in place with strong elastic bands. I had a couple of sizes depending on what i was doing but used a A5 size the most. great because very cheap – survives crashes quite well and cheap to replace if damaged. I also used a couple of foam pipe lag pieces clipped around the h/bar to space the board away from the bar. Thin plyboard also works but i prefered something that broke if i crashed into it.

Edric64
    Free Member

Polycarbonate is better than perspex as it does not break I use it for work so it's easy to get offcuts.

avalanche
    Free Member

Handlebar reflector brackets(the ones that come on all new bikes and are discarded the minute you get it home) bolted to a cutdown clipboard. Some extra bulldog clips around the edges also help.

Here's mine, a plastic chopping board, cable tied to the bars, with bulldog grips for the map.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a map holder…’ is closed to new replies.