Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Recommend me a good bread knife
  • windowshopper
    Free Member

Something to cut fresh-from-the-oven (well, breadmaker) bread. A friend recommended and loaned me one of these
    http://www.lamsonsharp.com/store/p/776-Rosewood-Stamped-10-Bread-serrated.html
    It is excellent, but rather pricey imported from the States.

Any alternatives?

Ta.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wusthof Classic

Hohum
    Free Member

We have a Sabatier that was bought about 15 years ago and is still going well now. It was bought from John Lewis.

The only signs of wear on it are on the handle from when my wife used to put it in the dishwasher – something which doesn’t happen now.

Cougar

I use one of these, and I’m able to actually cut bread properly for the first time in my life with it. I appreciate that it’s not an ideal solution for everyone though

z1ppy

TBH I love good knife for cooking, but to cut bread?
    I bought one for my g/f (hers used to just squash the bread in ‘slices’) about 5 years ago from the super market, just like Cougar’s link, and it’s been great as it’s only ever used to cut bread, so it hardly likely to blunt.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ve had one of these for over fifteen years – still works very well.

Fiddle Bow Knife:

uplink
    Free Member

How wide is that gap DD?

I do like the look of it but I also like my ‘doorstep’ slices

flip
    Free Member
    crankboy
    Free Member

Do not buy the double edged one from Morrison’s wave serrations one side fine ones the other. five nasty cuts to fingers later we still kept pressing down on the top finely serated edge while sawing away and realised a life time of muscle memory could not be erased by frequent pain.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

@uplink, prob not wide enough for a doorstep. Think a little wider than “thick cut” sliced bread.

crikey
    Free Member

Middle class oneupmanship alert….

Wusthof classic breadknife was £62 on Amazon. £62 for a jeffing bread knife?

Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans, get to the jeffing supermarket and get a jeffing breadknife and do try not to be a jeffing knob.

donsimon
    Free Member

windowshopper
    Free Member

Thanks for all the responses.

crikey, I already tried supermarket knives and even (Middle-Class alert) a £20 John Lewis knife, but all were useless for the prescribed task (as described in OP). I’d prefer not to spend silly money, but I don’t object to spending a bit more if it does the job and lasts a decade (as the best knives seem to do).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sounds a good price, Crikey. Nice to see that someone who buys good quality stuff is “a jeffing knob” in your view. Well done. Have a gold star for swear filter avoidance and poor quality insults.

Cheap knives are rubbish, just like cheap shoes, cheap bikes, cheap suits, cheap wine, etc. etc. etc.

If you can afford to buy good quality stuff, why shouldn’t you? As the OP says,

I don’t object to spending a bit more if it does the job and lasts a decade (as the best knives seem to do).

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Global – the mutts nuts – but now stupid expensive unless you get a discount deal on a set.

But also got a cheapo Kitchen Devils one from Oz 20 years ago which still works well.

Cougar

windowshopper
    Free Member

Update. Got the Kitchen Devil bread knife for £6.50 from Tesco Direct. Worked a treat on warm (not hot) fresh bread this morning.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a good bread knife’ is closed to new replies.