• This topic has 8 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Rip.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Recommend me a cycle computer because …..
  • giantonagiant

…I've been advised it's a good bit of kit to have and use when on TCL assessment (later this year).

I've never bothered with one before, happy just with map and compass, so total novice with regards to features / brands / etc.

Preferably one that's commonly found in LBS's or other 'mainstream bicycle accessory stockists', as it'd be handy to have for this weekend.

(Hope to ride in Peaks – any route suggestions?!).

Many thanks.

scruzer
    Free Member

Long standing Cateye user (various), go cordless. Second choice and more budget, some Trek cmputers have served well too, again go cordless.

As for peaks try hope/hathersage/ladybower/edale for ideas

romster
    Free Member

Are you going to be riding on or off road?

giantonagiant

SCr thanks for that. Any particular models? Anyone?

Romster….. I'll be riding off road for my TCL 😆

and Hope (you see what I did there) to be riding OFF road in the Peaks. I know lots of walking routes around the Peaks, but would like a good 4 hour or so loop.

Ta v much.

trail_rat
    Free Member

and contrary to the above advice — do not go cordless

it seems overhead powerlines, led lights and HRMs interfere

my BRAND NEW cateye reset its self twice on the west highland way – crock of shite it was , going to fix my garmin edge 305

get something wired with a Heavy duty wire if possible thus resulting in no interferance or battery death issues !

GWick
    Free Member

Cateye Strada

Used for for about 3 years in all weather. Thats the basic one but you can get cadence, heart rate etc

meeeee
    Free Member

+1 for not going cordless, especially if you ride at night and have proper nightriding lights. My wireless cateye micro doesnt work at all when i turn my lights on 🙁

Supposedly the more expensive digital wireless ones are better, but they cost quite a bit more so i just went for a wired one.

mogrim

How much money do you want to spend? What features do you need? I use cheap Decathlon ones, work just as well as the pricier Specialized model I had before which died in a crash…

There are some pretty nice GPS models available, too.

Rip
    Free Member

All you'll need is distance and time for your TCL. You probably won't use it much after so just go cheap and cheerful.

It's just for one exercise on the assessment after all.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a cycle computer because …..’ is closed to new replies.