Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • recommend me a career, quickly
  • amt27
    Free Member

graduated with a product design degree 3 years ago struggled to find a job after, now stuck in a dead end CAD job paying well below average salary and bored after 6 months, no house, living with gf (both skint), no kids,

good at maths, handy with a pc (not a programmer), not a bad designer but no passion for it, should have done a BENG or MENG, happy to do a post grad 2012-13, but in mid 30s (eek), looking at school mates on FB all earning 30k+,

recommend me a quick career change (not teaching), which a ladder to climb,

tthew

Window cleaner

geologist
    Free Member

Fireman?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Teacher. You dont actually have to teach 😉

ton

oil sand worker in the yukon.

tails
    Free Member

what does that involve?? 😛

tails
    Free Member

what does that involve?? 😛

ton
    tails
    Free Member

Looks like you need to be smart to do that, counts me out!

TiRed

Why not teaching? My son’s school offers Product Design at GCSE and A’Level. If you are enthusiastic about your subject it seems a good choice – It’s not just Woodwork/Metalwork these days!

ourmaninthenorth

Current colleague also has similar design background. He’s gone from technical service management in a telco to product innovation (same telco) to project management.

There you go – recommendation made!

timc
    Free Member

my girlfriend has the same degree & is a barmaid, maybe try that?

sweaman2
    Free Member

Oil sands actually in Alberta; not the Yukon 😀

samuri
    Free Member

Trader in london village.

RustySpanner

Care Worker.

Money’s a joke, hours are ridiculous, but it should be compulsory, like National Service used to be.

Best thing I’ve ever done.
    World would be a much better place if everyone spent a couple of years doing it.

Most of us are going to need care:
    We’re living longer, but the extended bit of our lives will rarely be comfortable or particularly pleasant.
    Best we get used to it and start treating people with dementia and the other problems associated with old age in a manner we’d like to be treated ourselves.

Sorry for the rant, don’t mean to come across like a sanctimonius tosser.

Fully intend to chuck myself off the roof of the Dignitas building when I can’t look after myself.
    That’ll teach em.

sugdenr
    Free Member

oil sand worker in the yukon

Aaaaaaactually the centre of the oil sands world is in Canada. But seeing as someone mentioned it, if you dont mind temp. emigrating Australia has gone LNG mad and dont have the skilled people for it. After 2 or 3 yrs earning medium money learning on the job you can be earning shed loads. You wont (necessarily) be happy, but you can be much richer.

Me? I spend my ‘spare’ time on CAD trying to be a product designer with my half baked ‘inventions’…

sugdenr
    Free Member

Oh forgot to tell you what you can do. Every major industrial plant is now created as a compelete virtual 3D plant before construction, takes years and requires many highly paid skilled cad people.

pomona
    Free Member

Air Traffic Controller.

Best thing I ever did was a career change to be an ATCO.

Plenty of time off, great pay, cheap travel and a challenging job with good career prospects.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Air traffic control sounding nice who you kidding i was air craft engineer in the navy for 6 years i see the states those men and women came down the tower in like gibbering wrecks

To OP if your interested in offshore work drop me a email il give you the address’s of a few company’s looking for people just like you my emails in my profile

weeksy

Get into IT. You get paid for sitting browsing the WWW for 7 hours a day (on your sofa, watching Sky TV)

lazybike
    Free Member

Armed Forces…mid 30’s might be a problem, police?

chris_jh

I have a degree in product design, like you and also do a cad job, but I am freelance so can earn well above the average salary, and when you get bored after 6 months – just move to another company, well you could do that before the recession now you just stay as long as you can… if wish I had done a different degree but don’t know what. After all no one ever said when I grow up I want to be a cad technician…

monkey_boy
    Free Member

sky engineer, bloke round our way makes a mint by doing ‘jobs on the side’

derekrides
    Free Member

Mining in Perth, they’re paying thousands to young kids down there, make a fortune and return?

Nah stay, there are much better prospects there than here, I’ve a pal just come back he earned close to forty thou just working in a surf shop, gutted he had to come back (his Mrs hurt her back and had to return as she lost her job.)

grantway
    Free Member

timc – Member
    my girlfriend has the same degree & is a barmaid, maybe try that?

PSML

How about making Hand made Christmas cards

Cougar

Get into IT. You get paid for sitting browsing the WWW for 7 hours a day (on your sofa, watching Sky TV) sod all

FTFY.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

design some products, make product, sell product , . . .no?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Picking lobsters out of…

oh wait, she’s dead. That wouldn’t work…

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Mining in Perth, they’re paying thousands to young kids down there, make a fortune and return?”

you looked at the cost of living down there ?

ive had it offered but the price of property is MENTAL – talking millions(aus) not hundreds of thousands to get close to what i can get here in aberdeen ….. i have a couple of friends down there that said yeah lifes good , its party town but none of them intend to stay and they are not managing to save the money they thought when they saw the that top line – that says it all to me really.

40thou would go no where by all accounts.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a career, quickly’ is closed to new replies.