Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Recommend me a… camera
  • TheFlyingOx

So we’re away to the far east in 2 weeks for a few months. Most things are squared away, but I’m not 100% keen on taking the full-on DSLR given we’re going to be travelling light.

Any recommendations for a good quality camera that’ll hide away quite well in a rucksack? I’m trying my best to persuade the wife that a GoPro takes good photos, but my words are meeting a wall of silence.

5thElefant
    Free Member

For a small dslr Sony a33, a35 or a55.

For even smaller but similar quality: Sony Nex or a Panasonic or Olympus m4/3.

Budget will come into it.

TheFlyingOx

Looking at £250 tops.

plumber
    Free Member

Olympus epl 1 on amazon for 250

Loving mine

cynic-al
    Free Member

Pana GF2 for similar prices, also G2s and other IIRC – see hotukdeals.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Fuji HS20 EXR – £270

2nd best bridge camera in this months Digital Photo mag, the best was £480 (canon).

Not dslr standard but a lot cheaper, much bigger zoom range than a dslr and kit lens, no lens changing faff and better than most compacts for quality.

chrisjnr
    Free Member

Got a bridge, Pana’ Lumix FZ35 or 36 :P, well made, though image quality could be better at the full 22x optical zoom…

Though I’d recommend it to anyone looking for a light portable and very well made bridge camera, though I’m lusting after a proper DSLR!

plumber
    Free Member

Oops double post

5thElefant
    Free Member

SRS Microsystems have e-pl1s for £249 or gf2s for £269.

You will get excellent results but the kit lens just gives you a ‘normal’ zoom range, unlike something like the Lumix FZ35 which won’t give the same results but does give you a telephoto zoom too.

TheFlyingOx

Lots of food for thought. Thanks. Do any of them look particularly unattractive? I’ve been told to expect something to be nicked whilst we’re there, and I’d rather it wasn’t a new camera.

igm

Panasonic LX-5 perhaps. ‘Tis a compact, but a very good compact.

woody2000

What about this Samsung EX1 in the classifieds?

tails
    Free Member

canon s100

lodious
    Free Member

Canon S95 (cheap as end of line at the mo)

ampthill

That ex-1 looks good, but not much zoom

Something like a panasonic tz7. Loads of zoom small size

my niece the tz3 (still great) for under a £100 ebay

IMHO get a pandasonic superzoom (like the tz) and a canon ixus off ebay. Anything over 5MP will be fine (except some newer 12 mp one)

you’ll be covered against loss breakage and theftbt taking 2

molgrips
    Free Member

Olympus XZ-1

geebus
    Free Member

If you had the cash, I’d go for the GF1.

Unfortunately having a DSLR/LX3 and bridge, really can’t justify another.

The LX3 (LX5 is current model) is very nice for a compact. Providing you don’t need any big telephoto, I found it an excellent travel camera. Had it on the bars of my KTM690 in a waterproof cover and was taking pictures while touring around Europe.

I’ve got an older version of the panasonic bridge and am pretty happy with that too; though the LX3 (new version is LX5) definitely trumps it on image quality and I love the view the 24mm equivalent lens gives.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a… camera’ is closed to new replies.