Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Recommend me a biking honeymoon destination!
  • garethh
    Free Member

I'm looking for a destination for myself and the new wife in the summer 6 week holidays, we want somewhere a bit different from the usual Morzine trip either Asia or Americas preferably reasonably hard, high altitude (to get really fit) with a mixture of ups and downs, though fancy some helibiking. I was thinking probably of some sort of package type affair,

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Gareth

crispybacon
    Free Member

get yourself one of these, should solve your honeymoon/biking plans 😆

garethh
    Free Member

Trouble is i'm no good at multitasking could get interesting with bed + steering!

Anyone been on any of these organised package type affairs?

Gareth

Spud

Canada

thv3
    Free Member

Whistler.

stevestunts
    Free Member

I'll be watching this thread with interest as I'm after the same thing.

She wants a beach holiday somewhere hot. That won't be happening.

ampthill

I assume you restricted to the summer hols, which rules out say Moab as too hot…

New Zealand will be a bit wintery….

Lots of Asia hot/ monsoon

Colorado say Crested Butte. It wasn't really a honey moon but we did touring and day rides in Colorado. I liked the old town of Crested Butte and Aspen. I'm sure lots of packages are available

The single track was ace, although I've not been to the Alps to compare

sofatester
    Free Member

She wants a beach holiday somewhere hot. That won't be happening.

You didn't like sex, did you? 😆

lyons
    Free Member

why not try somewhere like sardinia or sicilly, beach and mountains!

bicycle_repair_man
    Free Member

Canada – whistler and surounding area – fookin awesome!

domino

Canada – can make it as romantic as you like staying in cosy cabins, lovely hotels etc. We've been twice and I reckon it would be perfect for a honeymoon (not married). We stayed on the coast north of Vancouver in a lovely cabin with floor to ceiling windows and a bath in the bedroom overlooking a bay. Also stayed in a lovely cabin up near Bella Coola at a wilderness lodge where we went grizzly bear watching, just the two of us and a guide. Ate a lovely romantic meal overlooking the Okeover Arm on the Sunshine coast. The mountain biking hasn't been bad either, Fernie, Kicking Horse, Whistler, The Sunshine Coast etc.

Both times we have booked flights, car hire and some of our accommodation in the UK but then left some to chance, just going where we fancied.

BruceK
    Free Member

Lake Garda – very pretty, very Italian ( good food, nice people), access to Gerona, Venice, Dolomites in a day, but still some great riding about
    or California, Canada's as mentioned

Pete-BC
    Free Member

Tyax Lake Resort in the Chilcotin Mountains, British Columbia is a great place to stay for a romantic few days or a week with some awesome riding to be had. The lodge is a classic large Canadian log cabin, set on the edge of the lake. They offer float plane assisted riding there from Warner and Spruce lakes. It’s a remote place with no mobile phone coverage, so great to get away from it all. They also have other activities you can do there, along with a very good restaurant and lounge bar. Ticket2RideBC offer trips to Tyax as part of their Iconic Rides package, or you can book direct with the resort if you wanted to stay for a longer period.

BearBack
    Free Member

Another vote for BC from me.

We've had quite a few couples through on honeymoon. Most have been 2 – 3 week holidays taking in a week or 10 days riding Whistler then off to either Vancouver Island or into the Interior for the rest o ftheir trip. Whistlers a great place to get out there and do fun things but whilst our chalet is pretty dialled, I'd recommend a night or 2 in vancouver to do the newly wed thing 😉

Over 6 weeks you could cover a superb amount of BC and find plenty of amazing spots for both your riding needs and tourist needs. You could absolutely make it a trip of a lifetime IMO.

As Pete from T2R mentioned, the Spruce lakes area is a stunning location and would make for a very different to the usual Alps type trip!

I got married in Whistler.. now need to start working on honeymoon plans once the Olympics sh*t show is over 🙂 http://www.bearbackbiking.com/whistlerblog.html

walleater

I'd say BC (and Alberta) too (although we got married in BC, but went to the UK on honeymoon!), but if you have the cash, I'd hire big comfortable transport and go on a big road trip as BC is MASSIVE and yet so many people go over there for two weeks and just ride A Line. Head into the Rockies for instance and drive along the Icefields Parkway in Alberta.

Almost wherever you go there will be good biking. I'd agree that the Tyax Lodge is a cool place to go and you can sit out on in the evening listening to the loons.

In case Johnny Smoke doesn't see this, I'd recommend hooking up with Bushpilot for interior biking missions. A top guy who seems to know every trail in BC without having to resort to looking at a map when the guests are looking the other way.

http://bushpilotbiking.com/

BitterBaldingFatty
    Free Member

@ domino: do you have links to any of the places you mentioned?

sheldona
    Free Member

We went to Whistler for our honeymoon and did the helidrop and floatplan trip amoungst riding loads of trails and a day in the bike park! We also managed a bungijump and white water rafting on our day off the bikes 😉
    Then 2 days in Vancouver on the way back so took in a day trip to Vancouver Island via an 8 hour Whale watching trip.

domino

@BitterBaldingFatty

Sorry, only just noticed your question…yes, here are some links for you.

Can highly recommend http://www.tweedsmuirparklodge.com/ and the services of Doug on the Trail for bear watching up at Bella Coola. The lodge keep things small so there are not huge numbers of guests, we stayed in a lovely cabin in front of the lodge. The bearwatching up there with Doug on the Trail is also on a small scale, 2 of us with Doug to bear watch on foot and in his car. Pack your insect repellant and a good camera 🙂

For the romantic 'cabin' on the BC Coast we stayed at http://www.moondancecabin.com/perch/index.html – its a house not a cabin. We drove (and took a short ferry hop) to the Laughing Oyster for a lovely meal overlooking the Okeover Arm (if you happen to have a nice yacht you can always sail in if you prefer).

domino

garethh
    Free Member

BC is sounding pretty good, has anyone got any ideas about some adventurous difficult Himalaya or South American trips?

Gareth

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a biking honeymoon destination!’ is closed to new replies.