Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recommend me a bike bag please
  • leonthepro
    Free Member

Going on hols soon annd taking my bike(Bronson) with me. Any recommendations on bags please?

boxelder

Planet X were half price recently

iolo
    Free Member

Evoc.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Evoc, was using it about every 6 weeks last year. Has support, protection and really easy to move round.

ART

Evoc thread closed.

downhilldave

Evoc, it’s a quality item.

andyrm
    Free Member

Evoc. Nothing else comes close.

rondo101
    Free Member

TLDR; Evoc

Long version; Having used a hard shell case to transport my Bronson to and from the Alps, this is another vote for the Evoc. Wheelbase is long on the Bronson and you need to pretty much disassemble it to fit in a hardshell and even then it’s a squeeze. The other guys at the chalet had Evocs and it was really straight forward. I also read something online from a baggage handler who said hardshell cases can slip off the conveyors into the luggage compartment whereas the fabric cases grip better. Finally, weight. My Bronson is 28lbs in Alps mode (weighed with salter luggage scales which correctly weighed my suitcase, so I know this is right). The hardshell case with a spare tyre and a set of Allen keys was 30kgs, so heavier builds (32lbs+) would be right on the limit.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

also adding how easy it is I am down to 10-15 mins these days, rotors off, wheels in, seat down bars off then zip it up.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Evoc, the hard shell cases are fine but a bugger to get your bike in out, were as Evoc is very easy. All I do is pedals off, unbolt handle bar, reverb down a tad and bike is in. Simple quick. Wheels into side pockets, hemet camlbak shoes comes to 26 kg for Bronson. I have on long haul trips stuffed clothing in as well to 30 kg for one bag approach. And no I do not remove air from tyres or shok or forks.

leonthepro
    Free Member

Thanks guys. So EVOC it is then.

Any packing tips for it?

Rotors off @Rondo101 ?

chrism110
    Free Member

Evoc ive just come back from the Alps with mine it’s a great bag I never even took the rear mech off as its protected in the bag. I would take the rotors off as there easily bent

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Rotors & Pedals off.
    Bars off
    Seat down
    Pad Spacers fitted
    Make sure you have the tools to reattach.

Helmet as hand luggage, if you have the weight pedals and tools inside a camelback.
    Sometimes I’ve used a sheet to wrap the bike inside the bag if there is some loose stuff in there.
    Haul it by the lower handle.

If you are touring round then you can leave the bars on and just zip up to the bars and poke one end out.
    Put something on one of the handles so you know it’s yours if it’s a popular bike flight.
    When asked there is just a bike and packing stuff in there, and yes I did let the tyres down.

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

How durable are those Evoc bags? There are mixed reviews re finish and durability of those.

warns74
    Free Member

I’d add taking the rear mech off too and take a bag of zip ties to keep everything in place.

Id say they are pretty durable but they are always going to pick up scuffs and scrapes along the way. Mine went to Oz and back with a few internal flights once there without any problems and about to use it again for the Alps.

Bag comes with a very simple instructions on how to pack it but there are a couple of good vids on youtube too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mine is up to about 50 flights so far and doing fine. Hauled it on and off trains for a month over Christmas back in the UK and various other places. It doesn’t get any precious treatment.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Mine got a small L shaped tear one year but I think that might have been a mate trying to wedge it in the van. However, a few minutes with some McNetts seam seal and tenacious tape and its as good as new and still serving me well.

How many generations of evoc bike bag have there been and does the size of the wheel pockets vary? Mine is about 6 years old now and 2.4 x 26″ rubber queens fully inflated feel very snug. Am I going to have to replace it when I go 650b?

warns74
    Free Member

I have a feeling they made changes to the bags in about 2013 for bigger wheels. Mine is 18 months old and I can get 29er wheels with maxxis ardent 29×2.25 in the wheel holders without deflating.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a bike bag please’ is closed to new replies.