Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)
  • Windows fans/mac haters…
  • IA

I’ve been a mac user since ’03, though I also use win7 and (mostly) linux for work. I’m due a new laptop, and fancy high res, thinner et etc.

But I like my touchscreens etc, so I’ve got myself a cheap windows laptop (yoga 2 13″) to try out as my main machine for a bit prior to either getting a high end windows machine or a new macbook (new retina one).

So there’s tons of info out there for windows users switching to mac, but not the other way round… so recommend me some good applications? What is there that’s great software on windows?

I realise this is slightly unusual, but there are a lot of IT literate folk on here that might have some good advice – or folk just telling me to just get a new mac – it’s a cheaper*, less hassle option for sure.

*people always seem to think Macs are expensive, but they’re really not, you just can’t get cheap nasty macs. Given I want a nice machine, most windows options I’ve looked at would actually cost me more.

_tom_
    Free Member

What kind of software do you need?

https://ninite.com/ – this is really good for installing a load of useful applications, you can just pick the ones you want and install it in one go.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What do you want to do?
    What do you need?

Basically I install Chrome to browse with
    Google Drive/Dropbox for cloud storage
    Malware bytes for malware, windows security

Office? OpenOffice?

Currently looking at loads of nice thin laptops with decent power for a lot less than any mac.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Most of the big packages are available on both platforms.

If you want options you can also run a VM and put OSX and Linux on there concurrently.

nickjb
    Free Member

people always seem to think Macs are expensive, but they’re really not, you just can’t get cheap nasty macs. Given I want a nice machine, most windows options I’ve looked at would actually cost me more

sound like something mac users say. Of course you can spend more on a PC but there’s plenty of cheaper PCs that will do a very good job. My wife’s £180 laptop will do a lot of things better than a mac and its lighter than a macbook air (and of course there’s plenty of things a mac will do better)

Most of the big packages are available on both platforms.

Not sure about this catch all. Horses for courses really. Very little engineering software for macs. Graphic design and video editing on macs seems much better. And office for mac, have you tried it?!

cranberry
    Free Member

+ 1 for Ninite – check the box for what you want, download the intstaller and Bob’s your uncle.

VLC for video
    Irfanview for images/video
    Libre Office
    Foxit for PDFs

molgrips
    Free Member

people always seem to think Macs are expensive, but they’re really not, you just can’t get cheap nasty macs

So they’re not expensive, but there aren’t cheap ones. That’s the definition of expensive no?

No-one’s saying they’re not good quality – if you have a grand sitting around in the jar on top of the fridge then sure, you have the choice of premium quality vs value.

However, and this fact seems inconceivable to fanbois, not everyone has a thousand quid lying around. If you haven’t, then Macs are expensive no matter how good quality they are. As mentioned above there are good solid reliable laptops around for half that, and they’re not Mac.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Not sure about this catch all. Horses for courses really.

Well, he is going the easier way, but of course there are exceptions.

Very little engineering software for macs.

Autodesk software is mostly available now. Anything connected with education in any way will be going that way.

Graphic design and video editing on macs seems much better.

If you need to go outside Adobe, that is.

And office for mac, have you tried it?!

LOLNO. Libre or office 2007* here.

*found in a skip with a valid key 🙂

IA

Ok, I don’t really want to argue (much 😉 ) about mac vs. pc but I’ll bite…

I said I want a nice machine. For me, that means nice materials, about 1-1.5kg, at least 8Gb ram, 512Gb SSD and a high-DPI screen. Pretty much the only things I’ve seen that come close to a macbook/MBP are the Yoga Pro 3, Surface pro 3, and HP Spectre x360. These would all cost the same or more. I know I can get cheaper machines, but I want a nice computer not a cheap one.

I’m not an uneducated mac user “something mac users say” perhaps, but I’m pretty sure I’m right. I am willing to be proven wrong though, hell I’ve put my money where my mouth is and bought a PC just to give it a proper go! And I do use PCs every day, there are two in front of me right now. And they’re both more expensive than macs, but that’s because you can’t get powerful enough macs for my work needs – I know I’m an unusually demanding computer user.

What kind of software do you need?

Typically I’m browsing, RSS via Feedly, Instapaper, email, photo management etc (I’ll try Lightroom for this), sync’d notes with simplenote (i’m trying Onenote out), video editing (iMovie currently meets my needs), plus cross platform stuff like spotify, skype etc.

I don’t need work stuff nearly all the time these days. I did blog a bit about my thoughts on this here http://iainwallace.co.uk/2015/04/02/a-post-laptop-laptop/ for more background.

Currently looking at loads of nice thin laptops with decent power for a lot less than any mac.

As I said, I’m sure cheaper machines exist but I’ve not tried or seen any I’d consider. However maybe I’m missing something – got some suggestions? I’ll add that I want a touchscreen/2 in 1 if I go windows, if I just get a conventional laptop I see no reason not to stay mac?

https://ninite.com/ – this is really good for installing a load of useful applications

Looks good, I’ll try it out.

run a VM and put OSX and Linux on there concurrently.

I use VMs fairly often, I didn’t know you could run OSX on a non-OSX host os? Is it possible without too much hackery?

My wife’s £180 laptop will do a lot of things better than a mac

Sounds like the sort of thing windows users say 😉 Seriously though, what are these things? That’s the sort of suggestions I’m after.

VLC for video
    Irfanview for images/video
    Libre Office
    Foxit for PDFs

VLC yup, use it on my mac too.
    Irfanview – seriously, what’s good about it? I used to use it back in the day and it doesn’t seem to have moved on much?
    Libre office – yup meets some limited office needs for me on my mac too.

I’ll look into foxit.

IA

As mentioned above there are good solid reliable laptops around for half that, and they’re not Mac.

Oh yeah, I concede that point, and always have. I said “nasty” but I was trolling slightly with that comment, I debated leaving it out. The lenovo I’m trying out amazes me with the quality for the price, but it’s nowhere near as nice as my metal mac (or even my metal dell at work).

It’s just not what I’m looking for. My point was like-for-like Macs actually seem to be the cheap option.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

It certainly won’t get the disinterested approval I get from my hipster barista.

….and that’s all what matters.

Anyway, for those downgrading to Windows, most of the big guns have cross platform offerings. It’s only the niche stuff that may be problematic.

molgrips
    Free Member

My point was like-for-like Macs actually seem to be the cheap option

That’s not quite the same thing 🙂

Conversationally, then, not argumentatively – I saw a rather nice looking Acer convertible tablet in PC world the other day. 10″, so very small and light along with it. Would be ideal for what I want – the ability to check work emails and do work related stuff, but neglible weight to stick in a cycling rucksack. In tablet form, ideal for e-reading or mooching about on the net.

Price £280 – that’s pretty persuasive!

_tom_
    Free Member

Graphic design and video editing on macs seems much better.

meh, I don’t rate Final Cut – been using Avid at work for the past two years or so and it’s so much quicker. Of course it could just be familiarity but Avid works so well, whenever I use Final Cut now it just feels plain clunky. And Adobe stuff is the same on either system. fwiw all our edit suites at work are windows 7 based and are very stable and reliable – they have to be for live tv..

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Final Cut demonstrates that Apple should stick to hardware.

IA

molgrips – I know the Acers you mean. Look like nice enough machines for that sort of thing, but wouldn’t meet my needs. I did try one out for a while though and they’re very top heavy/falling over, and the mechanism means the screen doesn’t tilt back very far – I’m tall so it’s a issue for me.

Of course it could just be familiarity

I’m finding this an issue to work with just now, in general when I find something I don’t like on windows I have to be sure to try it more, see if it’s really worse or I just don’t know how to do it right. Hence wanting to try it for a while first.

As I seem to have attracted some video people – what would you recommend for home use? I’m willing to pay* for software but not a fortune.

*i write software as part of my job, hypocritical not to…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Last time I looked you could VM OSX. Maybe it’s harder now? Wouldn’t surprise me, Apple are a bit like that.

molgrips
    Free Member

I know the Acers you mean. Look like nice enough machines for that sort of thing, but wouldn’t meet my needs.

Of course, I’m not recommending one for you, I’m talking about the choices you have with PC that you don’t have with Mac.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Last time I looked you could VM OSX. Maybe it’s harder now? Wouldn’t surprise me, Apple are a bit like that.

Erm…ok.

IA

Can we now establish that I’m very happy for all the PC users, and would like some software recommendations?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sounds like the sort of thing windows users say Seriously though, what are these things? That’s the sort of suggestions I’m after.[/quote]

Browses the internet (facebook, here, banking)
    does basic stuff (90% of what most users do)
    leaves £800+ in your pocket

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

so recommend me some good applications? What is there that’s great software on windows?

Still don’t know what you’re after! TBH though, I don’t use that many applications: Office, Adobe MS, Solid Edge, Solidworks and any of the Autodesk ones.

GAMES

That’s where a real difference lies 🙂

Cougar

You mentioned photography. Paint.NET is a decent, free “Photoshop Lite” if that’s any use.

IA

I put a list up there ^

I’m after any and all suggestions really, what’s *good* software, not just “gets the job done”. What software is worth switching to windows for?

E.g. to make a suggestion or two the other way, I’d recommend Omnigraffle as a great diagramming tool. Nothing comes close on any OS for the ease of use and speed knocking up diagrams. Or texshop for writing latex. Or maybe pixelmator as a good photoshop alternative.

You mentioned photography. Paint.NET is a decent, free “Photoshop Lite” if that’s any use.

Cheers I’ll check it out. I’d normally use Aperture (i’ll try lightroom) for most photo tweaking but occasionally want to actually “edit” a pic.

IA

Oh, any software to let me add my own gestures to Chrome, or in general? I miss shortcuts from my mac.

E.g. I’d like to two-finger swipe in the browser to go back/forward. I can do this with three fingers on the trackpad (fine) but what about on the touch screen?

Also is there anything to control DPI settings per-app? I’m surprised how poor/inconsistent display scaling support is. I’ve a 1080p screen in 13″ so the default scaling is 150% but that means fuzzy text in apps that don’t support it right – I was surprised this includes built in OS things like the device manager.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

http://www.macbreaker.com/2015/01/virtualbox-yosemite-zone.html

Any use?

Others:

I’m browsing – FF or Chrome

RSS – Yuk. No idea.

Instapaper – never heard of it. Looks like it’s trying to find a reason to exist. Google drive or a USB drive?

email – Google Mail? Also have used Thunderbird, but the idea of using a non-browser based email client makes me unhappy.

photo management – I just put all 14,000 pics in a folder and sort by date.
    (I’ll try Lightroom for this) – other people seem to rate it.

sync’d notes with simplenote (I’m trying Onenote out) – [OneNote] another useless piece of crap. In fact, while were on the subject – something you need to know is just how easy it is to get loads of crap running in the background in Windows, ON being a case in point. Uninstall.

video editing (iMovie currently meets my needs) – no idea. Something Adobe.

Plus cross platform stuff – that’s more like it.

OK so seriously – you need antivirus. I quite like Avast, though I notice the free version is spamming me with ads at the rate of one an hour or so. It didn’t used to. You could also pay and get the upgraded version with Firewall and no ads.

At the same time as this someone else asked me about hardware monitors:

HWMonitor by CPUID – almost hardware listed, plus all volts and clockspeeds.
    CPU-Z by CPUID – details about the CPU.
    Realtemp/RealtempGT [6core only] Accurate CPU Temps and multiplier – INTEL ONLY
    Speedfan – graphs of temps, ability to modify fan behaviour, and VERY USEFUL – can test and report HDD SMART status.

IA

Instapaper – never heard of it. Looks like it’s trying to find a reason to exist. Google drive or a USB drive?

It’s to save articles to read later, possibly offline. I like that I can push articles to it from a bookmarklet on any of the devices I use daily then read them from a device of choice at my leisure.

email – Google Mail? Also have used Thunderbird, but the idea of using a non-browser based email client makes me unhappy.

Fair enough, I’ve just never got on with gmails web interface for some reason. I think I like OS level integration for notifications, photo pickers etc.

[OneNote] another useless piece of crap.

Fair enough to say this, but “just remove it” isn’t an alternative. I need something that syncs text notes across all my devices. I want to be able to see and edit my various text notes from everywhere. I currently get this with simplenote but there’s no good windows client so I need an alternative.

OK so seriously – you need antivirus

What’s wrong with windows defender? Is there a benefit to other apps?

HWMonitor by CPUID – almost hardware listed, plus all volts and clockspeeds.
    CPU-Z by CPUID – details about the CPU.
    Realtemp/RealtempGT [6core only] Accurate CPU Temps and multiplier – INTEL ONLY
    Speedfan – graphs of temps, ability to modify fan behaviour, and VERY USEFUL – can test and report HDD SMART status.

Cheers – though I don’t need to know that stuff on a home machine. If you’re making a list add GPU-Z to that too, provides useful info on the GPU (I develop 3D stuff for work so it’s useful when performance debugging stuff to get a rough cut on memory bus vs compute bottlenecks).

Cougar

I couldn’t disagree more.

OneNote is one of the finest pieces of software MS have ever written. Ok, I appreciate that to a Mac bod that’s probably not much of an accolade, but it’s seriously revolutionised both my work and home note organisation.

Cougar

What’s wrong with windows defender? Is there a benefit to other apps?

Windows 8? “No” is the short answer.

I need something that syncs text notes across all my devices. I want to be able to see and edit my various text notes from everywhere. I currently get this with simplenote but there’s no good windows client so I need an alternative.

EverNote is the big one. Though it didn’t “click” with me like OneNote did.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Interesting list of recommendations – Chrome, Dropbox, Google Drive, VLC, Open Office. That software is available on both mac and PC so the real answer is just keep using the software you like

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Fair enough to say this, but “just remove it” isn’t an alternative. I need something that syncs text notes across all my devices. I want to be able to see and edit my various text notes from everywhere. I currently get this with simplenote but there’s no good windows client so I need an alternative.[/quote]

Oh, shoot, my bad, I got it OneNote mixed up with EndNote. Sorry 🙂 This isn’t a surprise as I installed ON by accident because I was told to use End Note. Then it kept launching at startup, and interfering with the print screen button so I got in a huff and binned it. I binned EN too, seemed like a giant waste of time.

Please ignore that 🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

My needs are simple, I use

MS Office – because it’s used home and office everywhere I go
    One Note – Notes (and more) in sync everywhere. I like it a lot.
    Make MKV – for DVD ripping
    Handbrake – video transcoding
    DBPoweramp – CD ripping
    Sony Movie Studio – Video editing. It was the only cheap editor that did 3D when I wanted it and now I’m accustomed to it.
    Internet Explorer – good these days though I sometimes use Chrome

Anti virus I just use what MS offer and have had no problems.

IA

Endnote makes more sense, that is guff. I recommend Zotero for good cross platform reference management and bibliography tool (I write papers a lot)

Sony movie studio any good? What are the alternatives?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I recommend Zotero for good cross platform reference management and bibliography tool

LOL Who’s helping who 😉 Thanks dude.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What are the alternatives?

Adobe Premiere, good solid and use it here.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Sony movie studio any good? What are the alternatives?

I think most would go for Adobe Premier (Elements or Pro depending on budget)

molgrips
    Free Member

you need antivirus

W8 and above comes with Av I think so you can ignore third party products unless you are unhealthily paranoid.

IA

I’ll give premiere a look, cheers.

I get the point people make about cross platform stuff being the same, e.g. chrome. But although I use chrome on windows/linux at work, I use safari on my mac as there are massive performance/battery life benefits, there may be similar tips i’m missing out on regarding good Modern apps etc.

I know that typically mapping/GPS software has been better on windows*, anything particularly good?

*well, more that I don’t know anything that great on the mac and I have looked.

molgrips
    Free Member

Is there really a battery life difference between comparable Mac and Windows machines? They have the same batteries inside and the same hardware after all.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I use safari on my mac as there are massive performance/battery life benefits

There is?

IA

Yup. ~30% / 3 hrs less battery life on chrome compared to safari.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/10/8381447/chrome-macbook-battery-life

Regarding vs. PC, the new XPS13 has decent life but apart from that nearly everything else is worse:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8983/dell-xps-13-review/6

Note that excepting the XPS everything is worse than the MBA13 – even the MBA13 but in windows.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Windows fans/mac haters…’ is closed to new replies.