Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Recommend Hardtail
  • wheelie

I’d be interested in any recommended hardtails and fork length for mainly South Downs, Isle of Wight. Mostly xc stuff. Having ridden all my life on rigid forks, thought I might enjoy a bit of squish at the front!

winterfold
    Free Member

I ride that stuff plus surrey Hills and love my Whyte 905.

As they are now over £1500 I would bloody well hope so. a 901 prob delivers the same smiles for les £££

UK trail hardtail is the niche you are looking for (i believe), 120mm fork, slackish head angle ~68 +/- and lots mud clearance.

Charge do a good one, Genesis Core ( get a basic one and it is much cheaper than mine) and I dare say others…

andycs

On One Inbred

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Bazz

I love my On-one Scandal for south down’s rides, bit lighter than the inbred for those long drags uphill.

scraprider
    Free Member

carrera fury , despite what people may say its a great bike with good kit.

13thfloormonk

+1 for the Whyte 905, equally at home on long XC rides or short mucking around rides, I spent this evening riding up and down the same wee bits of singletrack just to see how fast I could hit the corners.

cbrsyd
    Free Member

carrera fury , despite what people may say its a great bike with good kit.

+1 My son has one and it’s a hoot, good kit amd can easily take forks out to 140mm if you want.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

singular swift-can still get away with a rigid fork- someone is selling a large one at the moment on the classifieds (not me by the way!)

if not into 29ers cotic soul?

dmjb4
    Free Member

Scandal, Boardman?

wheelie

seems like 100 – 120mm forks then. I forgot to mention that i am 5’4″ and have an instep of 28″ so would need to be quite small……so does anyone have such a beast for sale?

racefaceec90

well i’m 5ft 5 and a quarter 😉 and am ordering a 16″ charge duster mid bike 100mm travel.have read some great things about the frame.would definitely be capable of the riding you are going to do (i ride marlbrough downs/ridgeway/salisbury plain)

winterfold
    Free Member

scraprider – Member

“carrera fury , despite what people may say its a great bike with good kit.”

I could not find one of these for love or money but would deffo have had a ride. MIght have saved me £600!

I am a 29″ inside leg on a medium Whyte at 5’9″ tall. the seattube and cranks are OK, but on climbs it could be a bit longer in headtube.

whatever bike you get I would go for a Small with the stem adjested to suit.

josh1982
    Free Member

buy my 16″ ragley blue pig?

flyingfox
    Free Member

As they say – small Whyte 901 – all you ever need. One of our customers bought one for racing and ended up using it all the time. Left his £3.5K full susser in the garage!

chojin
    Free Member

I have an 18″ one on 456ss for sale in the classifieds 🙂

mij
    Free Member

Josh1982, any pics of the blue pig ?

hsmith
    Free Member

inbred 456 18″ for sale

Oxboy
    Free Member

My bro bought a cube ltd team (no its not us on the other thread!) with 100mm travel forks, great finishing kit, tips in at under a grand! It’s got quite a flash paint job but it rides really well, a good, fast bike.
    I had a Carerra Fury it was ok, better on road than on trails. I guess it didn’t suit the kind of riding I wanted to do. I traded it in against an Orange Crush which is now my do it all bike and belive me it does it all!

karen805
    Free Member

Another vote for the Whyte’s. Mines just an 805, but it’s just brilliant.

hugor
    Free Member

456 Summer Season.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Ooh! A whyte frenzy 😉

Here’s mine. A 19. If I had to have just one bike – this is it (or later years).

wheelie

The Whytes look great, but don’t hey have quite a high standover height for their size?

wheelie

Whyte….alumnium…..are hey harsh or is it worth going for the steel?

toys19
    Free Member

cotic soul

takisawa2

I doubt a Soul would dissapoint, run at 120mm would make nice light xc machine with a bit in reserve for the odd mad moment.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I liked my first Whyte 19 (the same as the one above) so much I bought two more (one with carbon seat stays and a Ti) and I couldn’t bear to part with any of them. 😳

Edit: and as for the steel I thought it felt heavy and sluggish compared to the others, the Carbon, on the other hand was a total dream.

xcstu
    Free Member

Swear by my s works… most comfort hardtail I have ridden! and I have ridden a few…

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Recommend Hardtail’ is closed to new replies.