Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Recommend a Gear Cable set..
  • gaberin
    Free Member

Recommendations please,
    -easy to fit,
    -good value
    -last long,
    -shift well

Cheers

rob-jackson
    Free Member

standard answer – shimano sp431 on a roll plus some decent teflon inners. full length outers

ruscle
    Free Member

power cordz

carlosg
    Free Member

Transfil Flying Snakes.

rwc03
    Free Member

Another vote for what cruzheckler said. Xtr set is very good if you can get a decent price on it. No point in running bare cable near the rear mech in my opinion.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I use SRAM pitstop inners and jagwire L3 outers.. both 4.5mm (old Jagwire standard) and 4mm..

grahamh
    Free Member

Sram flakjacket or Gore ride on.
    I can’t comment on the Gore’s but i’ve hand no problems with the Flackjackets.

PTR
    Free Member

Nothing other than Gore. It does depend on how you define good value though, they are expensive, but last for years. I only have to change mine when rock strikes damage the cables.

willfaz
    Free Member

Just got http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=22234 recently, very nice kit, excellent shifting and has all the bits for either a full length rear, or a split front/rear setup.

Can’t go wrong with a company renowned for making high quality motorcycle componentry.

takisawa2

I re-cabled the kids bikes with THESE early this year & was very impressed with how smooth they are. They have stayed very smooth all year. Will be cabling my 1 x 10 up with a kit next spring. Very nice finish, & the “carbon” outers look quite nice.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

What cruzheckler said but also get the sealing outer cable end caps to keep the cr@p out

vancoughcough
    Free Member

Really don’t understand why more people don’t use Middleburn cable oilers.. I have them on all three bikes.. they are fantastic. Make any set of cables last as long or longer than Gore.. in fact, with oilers, any cable will feel new for years..

stevede
    Free Member

Surprised by someones recommendation for Goodridge gear outer, it’s hands down the worst i’ve ever used, brittle and makes a mess of your frame (well mine did as some of the braiding became exposed). Much better, much cheaper options available imo. My vote would be on Shimano SP41 outer unless you can afford gore.

gt900uk
    Free Member

+1 on Goodridge been using them this season and found them great so far.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

+ another 1 for Goodridge

Surprised by someones recommendation for Goodridge gear outer… brittle

IMHO the stiffness is one of its strengths, as it bends in a wider radius, staying clear of the headtube and avoiding rub.

gaberin
    Free Member

Just bought an xtr gear cable set, for £34.99 from my local bike shop. Thinking maybe i should take it back and get something cheaper, as i have never fitted my own cables before and £34.99 seems like a lot to mess up. But i want to finish building my bike.
    Anyone have any tips if i decide to keep them, how do i measure the length the cables need to be?
    Also i read somewhere that the outers may not be long enough for a full suspension bike anyway.

Thanks

Gable

IanW
    Free Member

Clarkes XTRalike set from Halfords £8.99.

2xptfe coated inners, 2m lined outers, properly sealed ends and ferules.
    Why pay more?

gaberin
    Free Member

Well should i take the xtr ones back?

IanW
    Free Member

Yes and send me a tenner for my advice, you’ll still be £16 better off.

andyl
    Free Member

I got the XTR kit from absolute cycles on ebay for £19

Had a look at the clarks PTFE kit but didn’t like it.

I used the XTR kit with some mud lovers sealing kit which was £3 on Wiggle – use it on the no outer sections instead of the XTR seals and just use the XTR seals and ferrules on the mech and shifter ends.

tbh though I would just buy some SP41 (can pick up 10m for £20) and some normal shimano cables (stainless re about £1.50-£2 each) along with some XTR style end seals and some shifter end ferrules from now on but the £3 sealing kit is worth it and works well.

gaberin
    Free Member

I’m taking it back tomorrow and going to halfords… how crazy was i to £35 on cables !?!
    At least then i get 4 attempts for the same cost,

PJay
    Free Member

I’m happy with my XTR, but I got it at a bargain price from CRC.

Jamesy
    Free Member

Just brought the jagwire ripcord gear cable set for £16 which is a tenner off so couldn’t resist. Anyone have any experience of these ? im yet to install them

nicksar
    Free Member

very happy with my Jagwire

Northwind

XTR kit is very good, but it drives me up the wall that the cable outers come pre-cut… Causes extra waste and makes it useless for full-run bikes. Haven’t a clue why they do it.

I use Shimano outer (SP41?), my now-ancient XTR cable ends, and £1.50 stainless Clarke inners from CRC. Sorted- shifting lasts as long as any frame does for me 😉

bren2709

Another +1 for Godridge.. 😉

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a Gear Cable set..’ is closed to new replies.