Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Recomendations on Mud tyres
  • thinboy70
    Free Member

Went riding in my local spot and it was very muddy, neither tyre would clear and so made ride virtually impossible. I'm running 2.5 minion at the front and 2.35 high roller at the back. need a tyre that clears easily, so any advice would be great.

Should i run them front and back in a similar size combo as i'm running now?

Thanks

StuE
    Free Member

Swampthings or Bontrager Mud X, I run them front and back, Mud X are much lighter and roll better than the Swampthings.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

I would avoid mud-x's if there are any rocks or you ride hard,Mine continuously punctures,ripped and required a tube after 2 rides,due to the amount of cuts and holes in them.

Maxxis medusa's are a little better but i would say Swampthings.Very good wet conditions tyre

iainc

Trailrakers (2.1) front and rear work for me

zangolin
    Free Member

another one for Swamp Things or wet screams for super slop conditions.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Try lowering tyre pressure a it. It allows the tyre to flex and shed mud better.

Keva
    Free Member

Bonty MudX 2.0 on the front and 1.9 on the back – actually a great all rounder. I don't know which MudXs you have nicolaisam but mine work fine on rocks, perhaps you wanna run higher pressures if you keep getting punctures.

devs
    Free Member

+1 Swampies.

Alphabet

+1 Trailrakers

Sum
    Free Member

+1 Bonty Mud X 2.0" (I ride mostly on woodland trails)

epicsteve
    Free Member

I used the Specialized S-Works Storm Control tyres last winter and found them excellent in the mud and everything else. Not expensive either, and pretty light.

mboy
    Free Member

Bonty Mud X's are great tyres, but they're not wide. Would suggest given the current tyre sizes the OP is running that the Mud X's won't fit his bill at all…

Ergo Maxxis Swampthings, probably in 2.35" as the slightly narrower width than 2.5" cuts through the slop a bit better, would seem the natural choice.

Shandy
    Free Member

I had a set of Medusas last winter, they grip very well and roll alright but they are a bit lethal on rocks and roots. I'll probably try Ignitors this winter and see how I get on, there seemed to be a few people riding them last winter.

ex-pat
    Free Member

+2 Swampthings
    Actually, for XC I ended up with a set of the Tioga mud tyres – not sure if they're available now. But Maxxis do a similar thing, 1.95 width and damn near spikes on it. Made a HUGE difference in proper mud riding.

ex-pat
    Free Member

These in fact from maxxis

But they're 2.2 or 2.5, not the slim 1.95 that I had – I'd def try the 2.2's though personally.

[edit] Oh, a bit niche:

Designed for the muddiest downhill racecourse in the world: Les Gets France. Not for your local trail, the WetScream is intended for competition use only on professionally maintained courses. When the course turns ugly, trust the WetScream to carry you to victory.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Keva-They worked fine on rocks,They continuously get cut up and stones would cut through the casing,Not pinch punctures.
    Absolutely the worst tyre i ever wasted my money on.

tonyd

+1 Trailrakers. They're not that clever on roots though (but what is in the wet?!).

I wouldn't normally get mine out for another couple of months mind you, is it really that wet?! Where I am (Swinley area) the ground is still pretty absorbant and it's been windy so it dries out pretty quick. Once it all gets soggy the mud tyres will come out, but not yet.

Edit: tires for tyres!

aviemoron
    Free Member

Just fitted Bonty muds, very impressed on slippy natural woodland singletrack, not just on mud, but on "loamy" surfaces. I'm running them tubeless at about 20 psi all ok.

willej

I was thinking of trying Swampthings this year. Every year I think of getting a set to try but never get around to it! Is it worth going for the Supertacky on the front?

Sum
    Free Member

Bonty Mud X's are great tyres, but they're not wide. Would suggest given the current tyre sizes the OP is running that the Mud X's won't fit his bill at all…

Depends on what sort of riding the OP is doing and if the current wide tyre sizes are part of the problem with not clearing the mud.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Tyres do seem to be getting ever wider don't they?

My Wolf Ridge came with a Minion DH on the front & a HighRoller on the rear – great downhill but absolutely horrible on the flat or even a slight uphill slope. It might be a heavy bike but i want to ride it everywhere & tyres that draggy are useless.
    HR now on front & a Conti MK on the rear, seems to work better but still draggy.

Xylene
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9853

I'm a Geax fanboy and like the look of these, but a bit worried that they will be crap on rocks/roots (although they get good reviews) and at 1.7 will they be able to absorb my heavy body or not.

takisawa2

Go narrow.
    1.8-1,9"

Splash-man
    Free Member

Quirrel – those Geax look quite similar to the very old Conti Cross Country mud tyres from yesteryear.

I think the wife had a pair in 1.5" width 😯

On my long travel bike I have been running WTB Timberwolf for the last 2 winters. They are built like a motocross tyres. A bit draggy but simply great for grinding through crud 😉

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Recomendations on Mud tyres’ is closed to new replies.