Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • recomendation a nice Chablis under a tenner
  • karnali
    Free Member

had a nice bottle the other week for £15 i see some of the supermarkets do them for under a tenner any of these come recommended or other that are good for under a tenner

scaredypants

I suspect the word “chablis” adds a fiver to the cost – look for chardonnay for a tenner and you’re probably happier

You like oaky or non ?

(IANAWineperson and know effall about Chablis)

DavidB
    Free Member

We reckon this is pretty good and usually have a case of it in the house for Friday night consumption.

zimbo
    Free Member

look for chardonnay for a tenner and you’re probably happier

or forget what colour it is, get four bottles of Bull’s Blood and you’ll be as happy as you like…

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Go there, try some, come back and find they only export the dreggs…

Go back, buy some, bring it home!

You will have an ace holiday, learn about wine, and drink loads of decent stuff in budget 😆

RichPenny
    Free Member

I agree with scaredypants, decent Chablis is expensive and cheap Chablis is overpriced IME 🙁 Go for an Alsace Riesling instead if you like a dry white?

edhornby

under a tenner in a supermarket is a tall ask. Independant off licences wine merchants or a majestic with decent staff are a better bet, though chablis definitely is a premium

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

As scaredypants says and others, possibly try some other Burgundy Chardonnay (or other unoaked French Chardonnay).
    As a general rule of thumb, Chablis/white burgundy/French Chardonnay are unoaked ie ‘minerally’, but not necessarily always the case and age plays a part as well (a 5yo chardonnay will taste different to a new vintage from the same vines). Most New World Chardonnay (America/Australia/Chile) will be oak aged and/or American Oak chips in cheaper stuff, completely different, unless stated otherwise on the label ie ‘unoaked’ which will be a bit closer to French/traditional style. It’s a bit of a minefield if you want a certain style and taste.
    I have a customer who likes his Chablis, he buys Louis Jadot Macon as his everyday plonk from us (I sell it at £9.99, overpriced IMO), I’m sure there is better and cheaper that will give you the Chablis taste on a budget.

jp-t853

m&s petit chablis is one of my favourites and beats their full bodied chablis hands down. last time I got some it was £9.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘recomendation a nice Chablis under a tenner’ is closed to new replies.