Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Reclassifying a converted van…
  • boxelder

Bought a ‘builders’ van (VW T5) in January and have added seats, windows, elevating roof. There’s no water, storage, table or cooker, so it isn’t a campervan.
    Can I/ should I get it reclassified to a car/Kombi? I know it will mean 60 not 50mph speed limit, but will it make tax and insurance any cheaper. I have searched for answers, but remain confuzzled.
    Help if you can please…….

steveh

If you reclass it as a car it will make tax more expensive, about double in fact. Insurance should be very similar. I wouldn’t bother personally, the only benefit is the speed limit change and someone’s already been to court and argued successfully that taxation class doesn’t matter and they got away with the higher speed limit.

mr-bump
    Free Member

When i fitted an extra set of seats into my Transit a went to the local DVLA office with the V5 and they did all the paperwork required.

There was no tax change as the seats were the folding type.

However worth doing it properly as im sure should the worst happen and you were to crash the insurance company would have the perfect ‘Get out’ clause and not pay up.

Also worth noting the direct gov web site has some info regarding vans, kombi’s etc.
    Just search under ‘vans’.

Hope that helps. 😀

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Reclassifying a converted van…’ is closed to new replies.