Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Reccomend me some new singlespeed / fixed wheels for my langster
  • the_prophet
    Free Member

After a new set of wheels for the langster, current ones are starting to show signs of worn bearings, both have a slight buckle, so considering getting a new set of wheels instead of getting them both trued up, and hubs rebuilt.

bikes a langster, used for commuting 20 miles a day, 3/4 times a week through bristol (poor roads) so need to be strong enough. i’m around 78kgs.

Aero is preference (because they look cool 8)) but also thinking about some mavic open pro’s? not sure on hubs.

fire away

crazy-legs

I got some Goldtec SS hubs for my Langster, built onto Mavic Open Pro black rims with black spokes (cos the whole bike is black and I’m a tart!).

http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/items.asp?CategoryID=15&Name=Goldtec+Track+Hubs
    (mine is just the basic one, not the Pro)

Hubs are heavy but bombproof. Rear wheel is laced 3x, front wheel is 2x, not that it makes much difference.

The bike does 35 miles a day commuting plus winter training and the wheels are still straight and true. I like the hubs cos they’ve got flattened axles so you can’t pull them over in the dropouts.

ericemel
    Free Member

I just had these made for Specialized SS – they are awesome! 30miles a day commuting – no worries. Light and strong.

Royce track 120mm rear silver
    Royce ultralight front silver
    Cadence aero black f28 28r
    Sapim cx ray silver
    Nipples (alu front brass rear)
    Rim tape

Retrodirect
    Free Member

I have a Formula hub on open pro rim on the rear which has just passed the 5 and a half year mark … this is a vouch for getting a quality wheelbuilder to build it more than anything else.
    Probably about 50,000 miles on it(bike courier).

Any stock cartridge bearing hub with an open pro(defacto road rim) built by someone who knows what they’re doing.

It’s had about 4 sets of bearings and a few minor true ups in that time.

Hearsay says that deepsection rims are heavy and weak but I’ve no experience to talk of.

Garry_Lager

Does the langster have that track spacing for the hub? I got a wheel built around a goldtec track hub for a spesh singlecross that was exceptional – from BETD. So second this advice.

Wasn’t that arsed about the front – the spesh stock wheels are shite but they hold up OK on the front IME. The rear didn’t last 5 mins.

the_prophet
    Free Member

yep its the rear thats gone, i’ve stripped it and re greased it myself, but soon tightend up again. thats also something thats putting me off just getting them rebuilt, the wheels do seem pretty heavy for what should be light and basic.

I was hoping to get a custom set built up by the guy that used to run wheelpro a few years back, Roger (??!!) but he’s not doing custom wheels anymore. Bought two sets of mtb wheels off him in the past, and not had single issue.

Will have a better look at the goldtec’s.

where did you get them built up ericemel?

Thanks all for advice so far

DJC
    Free Member

When I had the same dilemma I went for the On One wheels at £99.99 for my Singlecross. Seem to be holding up fine after use through the summer but winter will be the real test.

Out of stock at the mo, but glow in the dark ones promised from 15 Dec.

ericemel
    Free Member

Speak to Steve at Wheelroom – very helpful guy.

http://www.wheelroom.co.uk/

the_prophet
    Free Member

can any one confirm the langster has 120mm spacing on the rear? I assumed it would be but just read something on another site that says it’s a 130mm??

crazy-legs

My first generation one (the black one with straight blade alu forks) is 120mm.
    I don’t know what spacing the later ones had.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I was going to say the Charge deep section ones, I’ve got them on mine and they are indeed bomb proof. 3000 miles so far without batting an eyelid or even a loose spoke.

But they sound a bit cheap for what you’re after

edenshawbay
    Free Member

hi i’ve got a set of charge dish wheels in green good condition £90 + postage. email if you want pics. thanks rob

rootes1

Got a set of Halo Aerorage on my Pearson Touche.. stayed true and seems to work well.

the_prophet
    Free Member

not discounting any for being too cheap at the minute, so long as they stay straight and run smooth i’ve got no issue spending a little less. the charge one’s had come up when ive been looking actually, but just assumed they’d not be much better than what’s on there. sounds like they’re worth another look. Although the goldtec’s are looking favourite at the minute

thanks for the confirmation on the 120mm spacing.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Reccomend me some new singlespeed / fixed wheels for my langster’ is closed to new replies.