Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Reccomend me some bib shorts with extra thick chamonix
  • flippinheckler
    Free Member

Hi have some Assos F1 bib shorts that are great, however I feel I need more padding as my butt starts to hurt especially if the road surface is a bit rough as it tends to be on country roads. My Assos shorts were a bargain a few years back, so looking for something less expensive. I also intend to change my saddle as I reckon its a combination of the two causing my discomfort.

peteimpreza

Are you using chamois cream of any sort?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

That’s a great title. Auto spell check I assume!?!

StefMcDef
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member

😆

I WANT PADS THE SIZE OF MONT BLANC!!!

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Did it outside on my smart phone with the sun on my screen, also being lazy 🙂

Are you using chamois cream of any sort?

No got some with the shorts but never used it, what does it do, though it was for saddle sores.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

The DHB stuff is good.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Is that the Aiguille du Midi in your lycras or are you just pleased to see me?

jonba
    Free Member

Hurt how?

If it is friction then cream may help. If it is impact then a saddle change may be more use than a short change as even the thickest shorts have minimal paddling.

FWIW dhb top end shorts are really nice and use the same tech as many big names costing 2x as much.

peteimpreza

You rub the cream in to your skin before a ride. You can rub she into the chamois as well.

http://www.assos.com/en/19/singleProduct.aspx?cat=6,19,31,36&prod=175

speaker2animals

Chamois creme minimises friction. IME saddle pain is caused by friction and heat build up. IME it isn’t surface roughness that causes the major problems. I have to say that I find pads that are too thick cause problems more than thinner (heat build up/sweat and just too much material in a restricted space).

Like saddles short liners are very user specific. I know that’s not a good answer as the only solution is trying different types which ain’t cheap.

I’d really recommend you try creme. I use Euro style Chamois Buttr which is minty and IME is great. As good as assos, a tub is about same price as assos but at least half as much again product.

If doing a long ride I also try to carry a little tub of something like E45/Sudocrem to put on at a cafe stop (talking greater than 50 miles here).

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Its not friction as such, more like an ache that seems to be caused by pressure on the saddle, feels slightly better when I shift myself back in the saddle but then the top of my inner thighs catch the saddle. the right side of my butt starts to ache so could be the saddle not being the correct size.

speaker2animals

Oh yes as others say if you are doing a longer ride out creeme on the pad as well as yourself. I concentrate on the seams even though the seams in the shorts I have are good it is still a point of potential irritation.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Thicker padding can lead to more chaffage etc rather than less. Maybe the Assos pad doesn’t fit you as well as it should or maybe the pad has compressed over the years.

As above DHB are good but after a year mine aren’t wearing that well. Endura FS260 are good and last for ages. Check out Giordana also.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

How often do you cycle? Have you checked the saddle rather than your shorts?

Last post beat me to it, sure the pad is not too big?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Admittedly I’ve just started putting in the miles as I’ve entered the Wild Wales Challenge and did only 30 miles today building up from 20 milers 3-4 times a week. I am also on a weight loss program so cutting out the ale and eating more healthy food and not snacking. I have been conscious before now of the discomfort and whilst on my ride today I was pulling my bibs up more at the back which seemed to help, I’m 5’11 and 14 stone and my bibs are large so should be the correct size.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

DHB bibs and tights are pretty good for the money, in my experience. More comfortable and durable than Endura kit at an equivalent price point.

The way you describe the symptoms though sounds like the saddle height/angle/layback combo isn’t quite right, given that it’s an ache rather than a chafe. I had something similar and a bit of trial and error tweaking of saddle position made it go away.

belugabob
    Free Member

Whatever you do, only change one thing at a time, or you can’t be sure what the effect of the change is.

If you change A & B at the same time, and it fixes the problem, it could be that the new A made a difference and the change to B wasn’t necessary – or it could be the other way around.

If the changes don’t fix the issue, It’s even more confusing, as the change to A could have fixed the issue, but the change to B broke it in some other way.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I measured my sit bones earlier on the year in anticipation of buying a new saddle as my Spesh Allez has the original saddle, Ive upgraded the wheels & groupset, so I will change the saddle first.
    Appreciate all the advice and input, any other comments welcome.

wheelie

+1 for DHB
    +1 for Arselard!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Reccomend me some bib shorts with extra thick chamonix’ is closed to new replies.