Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Reccomend me a tent
  • ianpinder
    Free Member

So I need a new tent as mine is past it’s best.

2 or 3 man
    Freestanding design so it doesn’t have to use pegs
    Removable rain fly
    And I’ll need a footprint
    I would also like it relativly easy to assemble.

No budget

ianpinder
    Free Member

bump for the evening crowd

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Loving my pop up tent from Decathlon here

Easy to put up, a bit tricky to put away but entertaining for onlookers anyway.

All sorts of sizes and budgets too.

Clicky click

Gnnr
    matt_outandabout

Where will you use it – car boot camping, or carry anywhere?
    Why no pegs?
    All (well, most) will have separate flysheet, I presume you want that to be able to dry it?
    Having pitched and packed 28 tents today, I can offer comment on a good few 2/3 man (mountain) tents….

jools182
    Free Member

Looking for one myself
    Outwell look good and have footprints and carpets available
    I’m assuming its for car camping

ianpinder
    Free Member

It’s going to be used through africa and will be my home for 4 1/2 months, some places where we are camping will be very soft ground which wont hold pegs, or concrete, which again wont hold pegs.

Needs to still stand with the flysheet removed, so ideally is a pitch the inner first. I won’t have to carry it for teh 4 1/2 months, so the other requirements take priority, however, if it is lightweight it’s always a bonus for after

dropoff

Terra Nova Quasar. Will be the best tent you ever bought.

ianpinder
    Free Member

I was looking at tht tent, however what concerns me is the two porches will both need pegging, whilst it stands up without pegging the flysheet will be lying up against the inner.

then quaser is the front runner by a long way
    this tent is a close second http://www.ellis-brigham.com/camping/mountain-hardwear/294355/helion-2

onehundredthidiot

+1 dropoff

can be just fly sheet or/and sans pegs

Vaude Hogan?

matt_outandabout

Terra Nova Quasar. Will be the best tent you ever bought.

And weighs a LOT, and not a lot of room by modern standards, and poorly built (the last 6 terra nova’s we bought, 3 went back on warranty and 2 are splitting at seams already after only 4-6 group uses)

The MSR Mutha Hubba impressed me recently: You dont need pegs if the fly is not used. It also has huuuuge amounts of mesh, cooler in Africa, cold in UK….

Vaude make some great wee tents, and if the Hogans, Taurus (1 & 2) and Mark 2’s I put up today are anything to go by, then a Space II would be a cracker.

I really rate Vango as well, we own 12 vango’s at work and all of them are well made, good design, work well (even with cack handed DofE groups) and excellent price. BUT, not are inner only it seems.

Spud

Terra Nova with a valence added?

b1galus
    Free Member

have a look at the Big Agnes tents they are all really easy to pitch ( i can do it ) can be be pitched without the inner or just the inner . full mosi net . i used mine for a three month tour and it was fantastic when i got back back i got rid of my hilleberg that i used to think was the best

dropoff

I can only speak as I find, my Quasar is 15 years old and still perfect, no leaking seams, no dodgy zips. 4kg isn’t that heavy for a full on winter tent and split between 2 thats only 2kg each.
    I once bought a Vango mountain tent and within a month so many bits had fallen off it was sent back. I too like vaude but they don’t have the solid feel of the TN.

dropoff

Thanks for the Big Agnes link, some nice looking designs there.

sweepy
    Free Member

some of the hilleberg domes are completely freestanding IIRC. and brilliant tents too

b1galus
    Free Member

i have a string ridge and a seedhouse 2sl , the stringridge is a four season tent and the seedhouse is three season although i have used it in glencoe in the winter without any problems

b1galus
    Free Member

i had a couple of hillebergs and they were great too , but they are now really expensive . there are some great deals at the moment from most manufacturers

ianpinder
    Free Member

The hillberg does seem to fit the bill, no removable rain fly however both sides do roll up completely. Expensive, though it will be home for a while…..

No other totally free standing designs, most need the porches pegging out.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have a wild country trisar – nowadays a terra nova – been a great tent and pitches without pegs if needed. waterproof and stands up in a gale

I have heard tho that the quality of these ow is not what it was – mine is also an old one.

considering you can now buy them for less than I paid 18 years ago……………

winston_dog
    Free Member

Terra Nova everytime.

I have had a TN Trisar for about 15 years. Its solid.

If weight and cost not really an issue then get a Hyperspace or Quasar.

BadlyWiredDog

You’ll think I’m nuts, but I used a Tentipi for a month or two last summer – see http://www.tentipi.com – and it was superb. Really fast and easy to pitch, stays cool and airy in hot conditions, feels really tough and robust, loads of internal space. You wouldn’t want to carry one, but if you don’t need to, it’s an ace, slightly left field solution.

Do you really need a geodesic mountain tent for what you’re doing? Why does it need to ‘stand still with the fly-sheet removed’ btw? Just curious as it limits you to geodesics and tents where the inner pitches first.

I’m a big Macpac fan when it comes to more conventional tents and I’d probably take on over Terra Nova stuff. Or Hilleberg, though they’re not cheap, they make very good tents.

TiRed

Vango Swift 300. Easily sleeps 3. Pop-up design. Bit of a pain to fold into a circle about a metre across. THink it may be superseded by the Dart

Want bigger – I rate the Outwell designs but not the monsters. Look for a tunnel design as they can be erected on your own.

If you are planning to carry your tent, there some good suggestions above. I’ve used Vaude and rate them.

ianpinder
    Free Member

I need it to be truely free standing, because it will be pitched on sand and in concrete slabs. Ideally I want to be able to remove the flysheet as at times it will be about 30+C

therealhoops
    Free Member

The Hi-Gear Kalahari 10. **** awesome and not at all overkill. Make sure you get the carpet as well 🙂

Admire my erection:

jon1973
    Free Member

How long does it take you to get it up therealhoops?

therealhoops
    Free Member

To get her up with ground sheet, pinned down with all the room bits in place and the carpet laid took 45mins with the “help” of the children. You need two people to get her skyward but 95% is a solo effort.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Reccomend me a tent’ is closed to new replies.