Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Reccomend me a new saddle – not a Charge Spoon!
  • transapp
    Free Member

As that’ll be the one that kills my arse and seems to be giving my nuts a tingly feeling and not in a good way… 😯
    I used the same saddle for 15 years, a truely terrible looking red thing with kevlar re-inforcement on the corners that sucked up all moisture and deposited it on my arse cheeks, but damn it was comfortable! Sadly by the time it died, all the id marks had come off and I no idea what it was!
    I’d like light weight, but comfort is first. Looking for insperation….

flow
    Free Member

SDG Bel Air

By far the most comfy saddle I have had in the 15 years I’ve been riding. They also come in loads of colours, and Ti rail too if you are feeling bling.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Selle italia SLR XP are nice, or try a SI flite similar shape with nice ti rails.

colournoise

My favourite at the minute is the Ragley Cheeky.

slainte 8) rob

transapp
    Free Member

I think #1’s a winner – I think it was an old SDG saddle…..

Shopping time!!

Cheers

fasthaggis

I just snapped a nice Ti rail on my SLR (XC) 🙁
    Going for a Gobi next.

It was a good enough saddle,but I thought it didn’t wear that well for the price. The Kielder may have shortened it’s life thoughbut 😯

youngrob

Gobi Fizik. I always thought they were too expensive but picked one up for £65 and it’s noticeably better after just a few rides.

zilog6128

Gobi Fizik. I always thought they were too expensive but picked one up for £65 and it’s noticeably better after just a few rides.

exactly what I was going to say – I have seen loads of threads where people who hated the Spoon loved the Gobi XM (and vice versa)

fenred
    Free Member

Another ragley cheeky supporter here, can’t see the attraction to spoons if you love your spermz

Superficial
    Free Member

+1 for an SDG Bel Air. I hated my Spoon.

mboy
    Free Member

SDG Bel Air is definitely a good option to try if you don’t get on with a Spoon. The only thing I’ve found as a downer with the Bel Air is they’re very soft, which means on long rides 3-4hrs and up, you can tend to get a bit of nappy rash on your bits where you get some chafing. Vastly preferable to tingly testes though!

Another option I’ve recently been trying out, and they’re now my definite favourite due to the shape just being so comfy and not putting any undue pressure in any one place (and also not chafing), are the Specialized Romin and Phenom range of saddles. To look at they look rather intimidating, all sharp angles and a very stiff shell. But to sit on they’re remarkably comfy (for me in a 143) anyway. You should also be able to get a free loan saddle from your local Spesh dealer to try out too, so definitely worth a try out…

FWIW, as much as I didn’t get on with the Spoon that well, Fizik Gobi’s are 10 times worse! I managed one lap of FTD at Cannock on one that came on my new bike at the time, before it almost reduced me to tears!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have anything but a SDG Bel Air, pref with ti rails.

soops
    Free Member

Wtb Pure. 8)

GlitterGary
    Free Member

WTB +1. They may no longer be fashionable, but they are ace.

ruscle
    Free Member

Brooks swift

bigthunder
    Free Member

Flite or a bel air.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

another vote for SDG Bel Air ti, I have 2, camo one on the mtb and leopardskin on the road bike. Comfiest saddles I have ever had (and they look cool)

doug_basqueMTB.com

I hated my Ragley cheeky. The covering is too grippy and it grabs at clothing which then seems to get stuck behind the crazily sharp tail sections. I ripped 4 pairs of shorts on it. I didn’t find it all that comfortable either but then I found the Spoon v. good. Arses for courses I guess. Ragley Cheeky Review

Paceman
    Free Member

SDG Bel Air

By far the most comfy saddle I have had in the 15 years I’ve been riding. They also come in loads of colours, and Ti rail too if you are feeling bling.

++1 😀

honourablegeorge

I had a Bel Air, it’s massively padded, like sitting on a couch.

Much prefer the Fizik Gobi now – Gobi tends to be a hit with bigger blokes, mind.

loum
    Free Member

My SDG bel air was good until it got creaky. Then it drove me mad, every ride, creak , creak , creak.
    It was a shame, was comfortable and perfect color scheme for my bike. Really wanted to like it but it had to go.
    Too noisy.

cheers_drive

I’m a ‘bigger bloke’ but didn’t get on with the Gobi, my arse knob would be numb after a long ride! I’ve now got Bel Airs on both bikes, really nice apart from being so damn noisy!

Radioman

Another SDG Bel Air fan here. Just the right shape. I use the chromolly ones on the hardtail as i tend to break the ti ones.

mike_p
    Free Member

Bel Air RL every time, I have them on 3 bikes. Also got an older Spesh Rival Ti, which isn’t bad either.

Tried the Fizik Gobi & Nisene, hated them both. The Gobi was truly awful!

flow
    Free Member

Bloody hell, I was right for once 😀

Superficial
    Free Member

Are there different versions of the Bel Air with different levels of padding? I’ve never thought mine to be like a sofa, and I’ve certainly never experienced the nappy rash phenomenon!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

gobi xm – new ones are made better and not failing material wise after 3 5 months!

NormalMan

Another vote for the SDG bel air here – purely because I never got on with the one that was on my previous bike and so replaced it with a Charge spoon which I think is fantastic.

Working on that twisted logic, the SDG is your ideal saddle 😉

Andyfish
    Free Member

My Gobi xm has just lasted a whole 2 months before the base split underneath. Fairly comfy though. A mate’s also went in the same way last year so maybe something to be aware of with the fisik. I also have a a belair on another bike which feels like a sofa , v.v comfy.

Whyte1
    Free Member

The Gobi is the worst saddle i’ve ever had as it’s so narrow and curved from side to side , having had both the SDG Bell-Air and the Spoon i found them to be the same curvy shape from front to back just the spoon had slightly less padding .
    For me the SDG Formula and Specialized Henge are super comfy as they are the right width and quite flat , but it’s taken years and a few hundred pounds worth of swapping saddles to find them .

andytherocketeer

Gobi XM are *firm*

Mine’s lasted for at least 1000 XC miles so far. No splits, no frays, but I can see them being a bit marmite. I like them, but riding pals (who haven’t actually ridden it) think it must be torture and prefer their wide, fat spongy saddles. Does need to be ridden a bit to get yer backside used to it.

messiah
    Free Member

Are there different versions of the Bel Air with different levels of padding? I’ve never thought mine to be like a sofa, and I’ve certainly never experienced the nappy rash phenomenon!

This – but I have experienced the nappy rash thing on very long days but didn’t put it down to the saddle. I use steel, Ti and I-beam versions with comfort.

I destroy Gobi’s by looking at them – snapped the base on one and the “wing-flex” bits on another… pish.

WTB V-thing I ran for a while was very soft and definetely caused nappy rash.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

SDG Bel Air + however many.

Great saddles. Not so keen on the I-Beam – it felt a bit harsh on my delicate postierior (sp?).

Otherwise my bottom likes WTB saddles, with the exception of the Rocket. The SST and Laser spring to mind as comfy perches.

nickswolves
    Free Member

I highly recommend the WTB Rocket V Race saddle which I moved to after not agreeing with the Charge spoon. Found this one more comfy for my skinny @rse!
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/41512/WTB_Rocket_V_Race_Saddle_2011

Trekster

SDG-Have the I-beam version and like it
    Recently replaced my Spoon with a Madison seat which is way better
    Liked the WTB that came with my Kona `05 version.

james
    Free Member

“SDG Bel Air is definitely a good option to try if you don’t get on with a Spoon”

I don’t get on with either. Spoon is much more bearable for me, but the front bit is too narrow (like the SDG which seemed to be worse)

Currently on a Specialized Format which is a bit too hard and too small area. Thinking a henge might be better but I don’t want to be spending £50 just to find out

dodd4721
    Free Member

another vote for the SDG Bel Air although they seem to creak with wear but also the newer SDG Formula FX, different shape but v.comfy.

Jiffy

I’ve tried a few brands over the years but inevitably end up going back to WTB – they just seem to be more comfy for me. Personal preference though, isn’t it? Never found SDG to be as comfy but that may be due to having a massive bibby…

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Reccomend me a new saddle – not a Charge Spoon!’ is closed to new replies.