Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Reba Maintenance
  • scholarsgate
    Free Member

I bought some off the classifieds a couple of weeks ago.

What regular maintenance routines should I be undertaking to keep them sweet?

stuartanicholson
    Free Member
    KINGTUT
    Free Member

Oil change every 25 hours riding dependent on conditions and a seal change every 12 – 18 months.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

…Oil change every 25 hours???

Sheesh!

So that would be like every month – you have to change the oil. Owch. I got that to look forward to, I suppose..

KINGTUT
    Free Member

…Oil change every 25 hours???

Sheesh!

So that would be like every month – you have to change the oil. Owch. I got that to look forward to, I suppose..

I think the manual says 50 hours to be fair, but I do it about once a month in the winter muddy conditions. It takes 20 mins max.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

stuartanicholson,

That's just what I was looking for, Excellent.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

stuartanicholson,

That's just what I was looking for, Excellent.
    Your welcome 🙂 .

Dont worry about the intervals, after youve done the procedure a few times it'll only take you 10-15 mins.

tang
    Free Member

good guide esp

Make sure the nuts are tightened to the correct torque settings and, if you don’t have a torque wrench, tighten to the point just prior to your knuckles whitening.

😀

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Has anyone tried or know if this procedure is the same for forks with motion control and u-turn? I have two pairs that need doing but I don't want to balls it up if it's not the same as discribed in the link.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

If you've got them from classifieds you dont know when they were last serviced, so you should open them up and give them some TLC anyway, IMO. Then you know where you're starting from for the next interval.

I do mine about every two months, but I am pretty religious about cleaning stanchions after a ride, and lubing the seals from the outside everytime too. This lifts the majority of the dirt entrained in the upper part of the seal, and moistens is will oil too. Often the semi-bath stuff won't make it this far through the seal, so it good to do it to be sure.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Mulletus Maximus, the lowers strip down (in the link) is the same. Or do you want to give the fork a full strip down?

If you've got them from classifieds you dont know when they were last serviced, so you should open them up and give them some TLC anyway, IMO. Then you know where you're starting from for the next interval.

Do it from new too…sounds ridiculous, but fork manufactures are renowned for getting oil levels wrong in new forks.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I took mine apart after 2 years use but they were as new inside.

I put this down to my cleaning the stanchions after every ride and lubing the seals,as the foams weren`t too dirty and were not dry when I took them out.

Servicing is very easy,but be very careful not to scratch the stanchions and the inside of the air chamber.

Hardest part is assembling the tools and fork oil required……

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Both mine were bought from new. I have an 08 pair on my hardtail and 09 pair on the full suss. They do get cleaned after each ride with a drop of lube on the stanchionsby the seals.
    Thanks for the info. I won't be too fazed about giving it a go now. 🙂

MicArms

I just serviced my 2nd hand rebas on tuesday, 4 years old and abused to **** and back.

Changed the oil expecting the worst, ie black solid gunk, very suprised at mildly brown free running oil..

Piece of pee to service too..

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Reba Maintenance’ is closed to new replies.