Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Rear Wheel/Swing Arm Orange Five
  • Andy-W
    Free Member

My rear wheel/tyre (pro2 hubs with 2.35 high rollers) is a lot closer to the non drive side of the swingarm side than it is on the drive side
    It does not rub but there is a few scuffs where mud and crap gets stuck there from time to time

is there anything that can be done to move it over aabout 5mm ??

Was thinking about a washer on the hub QR skewers or would that just be a silly bodge ??

Cheers boys n girls

Andy

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

Silly bodge. You need to get your wheel re- dished!

seanodav
    Free Member

Check your qr-bolt is not bent anywhere, mates bike was doing this last week and when you close the lever it pulls the wheel over at one side

matthew_h
    Free Member

Take your wheel out and pop it back in the other way round.

If the wheel is still too far to the non drive side then your frame is out of alignment and you should speak to your retailer. If the wheel is now too far over to the drive side then the wheel is not dished correctly and needs to be re-dished.

jonk

Same as mine on my orange 5 so bad it rubbed on the swing arm. I re-dished the wheel myself so it was more central.

Andy-W
    Free Member

cheers chaps,
    just tried to fit the wheel the wrong way around with no joy
    i guess i would have to take the disc and or the brake caliper off to refit the wheel the wrong way round ,cant be arsed with that at the moment
    i have some road wheels being worked on at the momen so will have a word with the wheel builder in the morning

cheers all, will let you know how i get on

ps, you sure the washer bodge wont work 😉

Tolgusvean
    Free Member

A washer would not solve the problem and more than likely create more problems by spreading the swingarm. You could then end up with either rear mechanic misalignment or disc misalignment or both. The problem you describe is at the rim. Providing the wheel is properly secured and square in the dropouts the advice above is sound.

Richard

votchy
    Free Member

Is the wheel central to the seat tube? Mine is closer to the non drive side but perfectly in line with the seat tube, I think the swing arm may be asymmetric, mine was like that with the factory wheels and also with my Roger Musson built wheels so not caused me an issue, never had tyre rub and a bit of helicopter tape on the inner face of the swing arm keeps it protected.

foxyrider
    Free Member

+1 Votchy – mine is a bit closer IIRC as well – I thought it was dish but its not – also check you swingarm bearings are a similar distance on the axle stubs – I.e. check bearings – disconnect the shock one end and move the swingarm when the wheel is removed?

legend
    Free Member

Orange in squint welding shocker?!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i think this is pretty common to be honest – not saying its right, but it seems common enough – FWIW i had to have a new rear hub built up by hope and obviously new wheel build – and its A LOT more central now, so whether thats down to hopes excellent wheel building skills i dont know… so could well be down to the wheel build/trueness etc…

mine was no where near rubbing, but it was definitely out one side

legend
    Free Member

Dishing a wheel isn’t an excellent wheel building skill – it’s a basic one

Andy-W
    Free Member

The wheel was out when checked by the wheel builder so I got it dished up nice n proper

But when fitted back on the bike its still a bit closer to the non drive side than the drive side

Just done three days riding in Wales and the wheel was fine and not rubbing but still not as i would expect

Should i just live with it like that or take the bike and the wheel to the wheel builder and get the wheel dished so that its smack bang in the centre.

Still dont know why i thought that whacking some rusty old washer into the mix would sort it out !!

Andy

Northwind

How old is the frame? If it’s still within warranty I’d be speaking to Orange- it’s probably not a problem but probably isn’t ideal. And it’s hardly the first squint Five.

Andy-W
    Free Member

its a April 2009 that i have had from new

FieldMarshall

I too have an April 09 frame from new.

Same issue, wheel is central to seat tube but not swingarm.

Struggle to get a decent size tyre in there as it then rubs.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Rear Wheel/Swing Arm Orange Five’ is closed to new replies.