Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Rear speeding – good idea?
  • kerley
    Free Member

I certainly don’t get it either and what is has to do with single-speed or why single-speed would even be referenced is a mystery.

njee20
    Free Member

So it’s basically another name for “being a cheapskate bodger”. Badass.

twisty

Badass because you need to put a bit of grunt into getting up hills, rather than than spinning up in a granny gear. In this respect rearspeeding can be a halfway house between manyspeeding and singlespeeding, hence the reference to singlespeeding.
    My 2nd rearspeeder actually was a 1×5 made from mismatched crap (7spd ig 8spd hg, plastic thumbie from some 15spd dawes drom the early 90’s) and i was really suprised at how well it worked! Have you ever tried to put together a bike using mismatched crap and a bit of skill rather than just breaking out the credit card?

njee20
    Free Member

No. I’m not badass enough for that.

kerley
    Free Member

In this respect rearspeeding can be a halfway house between manyspeeding and singlespeeding, hence the reference to single speeding.

But you are using gears so still nothing to do with single speed whatsoever. Okay so you are using a selection of gears that are higher than most riders but still geared none the less.

If I was to ever use gears again I would be happy with 3 gears (high one for road sections, same as gear I have now for off road, slight lower one for tricky uphills) If only someone would make a 3 speed (lightweight) hub changing using a wireless changer I would be likely to try it at some stage. I wouldn’t be calling it rear speeding though…

twisty

3 speed internal gear hubs have been availible for over a hundred years. If you really dont want to shift it using a cable then i can hook one up to a servo if you want, yours for only £399.99

kerley
    Free Member

3 speed internal gear hubs have been availible for over a hundred years. If you really dont want to shift it using a cable then i can hook one up to a servo if you want, yours for only £399.99

Yes, I am aware of Sturmey Archer. You may have missed my lightweight comments as a Sturmey Archer disc 3 speed for example weighs 1400g. So if you can make ether following I will buy one

Disc
    under 500g
    130mm OLN
    Uses 15t cog for direct drive
    Wireless changing via button that replaces brake lever bolt

When will it be ready?

breadcrumb

Surely by putting a mech on its just a geared bike, regardless of the number of gears.

Part of what draws me to SS is the simplicity of it. And not having a rear mech to damage/twist/snap.

I’m not sold.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

130oln? Road bike then?

And “rear speeding” had been around since the dawn of time. It’s called “cheap shit bikes with 3/4/5 speed freewheels and gears that don’t work very well.”

kerley
    Free Member

Sorry, 135 not 130. Hoping that doesn’t effect production time.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

No idea. You’d have to check with someone who could make a business case stack up. Boris Johnson might be able to make something out of it.

oldnpastit

The nice things about single speeding are the mechanical simplicity (no dangly bits, wires, levers) but also the fact that it forces you to push a bit harder all the time – either you’re grovelling up a hill with your heart about to explode, or you’re spinning like a loon to stay on someone’s wheel, with your heart about to explode.

The only bad bit about SS is you inevitably end up going slower overall (at least I do), or just walking, which is annoying.

To me, this isn’t in any way comparable.

kerley
    Free Member

No idea. You’d have to check with someone who could make a business case stack up.

It was directed back at twisty not you, twisty was the one offering to make a wireless changing lightweight 3 speed hub. The price was already set so he must have done his maths.

twisty

Yeah your weight requirement would be a problem. The sram i3 disk for example is 1.2kg, a lightweight freehub hub is 300g. Getting a gearhub below 500g would be very challenging it might need ceramic spur gears and stuff.

Sundayjumper

Have you ever tried to put together a bike using mismatched crap and a bit of skill rather than just breaking out the credit card?

Yes. And judging by your posts, probably since before you were born.

About ten years or so.

And in that time I learnt – pretty quickly – that mismatched crap is just that.

So as far as I can tell, all you’re doing is building bikes with gearing that’s inappropriate to their use. I still don’t get what’s badass about it. You can slog your guts out grinding up a hill at 10rpm on any bike – just ride in the wrong gear. You don’t need to build a special bike to do that. Put a 11-23 cassette on and stay in the big ring.

Totally don’t get it.

Sundayjumper

Oh wait. It’s school holidays, isn’t it ?

oldnpastit

To be fair, you could argue that the whole 1xn (for n>=9) with silly big sprockets is just bodging together something that’s almost as good as a properly done 2×10 setup.

I think my 1×10 gears definitely make me badass. At least in my head.

twisty

Mr Jumper (is that of the wooley or dirt type). I’m just advocating an aspect of cycling that I have enjoyed. I like that it has an element of gear minimalism so it forces one to push ones body a bit. I get satisfaction from riding stuff that would otherwise be going in the bin (reduce, reuse, and cycle and all that).
    If it is not your cup of tea then there is no need to get upset about it, I’m not trying to physically force it down your throat.

I think my 1×10 gears definitely make me badass.

It probably does 🙂

twisty

Wondering if I should actually make some stickers now

‘RearSpeeding – Reduce, Reuse & Cycle like a boss’

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Wondering if I should actually make some stickers now

Don’t think you will need many…

kerley
    Free Member

Yeah your weight requirement would be a problem. The sram i3 disk for example is 1.2kg, a lightweight freehub hub is 300g. Getting a gearhub below 500g would be very challenging it might need ceramic spur gears and stuff.

Yep, not easy, you may have over committed but I am sure you are up to the job. Let me know when you have made it and the £399 is yours.

And I don’t want a sticker included thanks.

sirromj

Being in a position where money is tight means you sometimes need to be a bit more creative, but you probably shouldn’t call it badass 😉

twisty

Yep, not easy, you may have over committed but I am sure you are up to the job. Let me know when you have made it and the £399 is yours.

And don’t forget the 99p, but obviously I am not doing this, a few other things higher up the priority list than designing and manufacturing a superlight internal gearhub. If it were just a case of wirelessing an SRAM hub and you were serious I might have actually done something but as soon as you mentioned 500g I withdrew.

twisty

Being in a position where money is tight means you sometimes need to be a bit more creative, but you probably shouldn’t call it badass

To be fair I only called it fairly badass 😆
    Nowadays it is not a case of not having money but I just like to know I’ve used stuff up 100% before I throw it away. Once I tried to give my wife a pendant that I made from some titanium XTR cogs and she was not impressed I had to buy her a silver one to get out of that one.

njee20
    Free Member

Not all that surprised, the ti sprockets are massive, that would look daft unless you were a die hard cyclist!

twisty

njee20 – Member
    Not all that surprised, the ti sprockets are massive, that would look daft unless you were a die hard cyclist!

I was a die hard cyclist, but this didn’t make it any more attractive to her. Maybe if she herself was a die hard cyclist then it would have worked!

njee20
    Free Member

That’s what I meant. No one other then a fanatical cyclist would want to wear a used 34t sprocket around their neck. Slow typing.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I had to buy her a silver one

Silver?

Pikey.

twisty

That’s what I meant. No one other then a fanatical cyclist would want to wear a used 34t sprocket around their neck. Slow typing.

Oh so that is what you really meant, not my fault if you write like an 11yr old 😛

Silver?, Pikey.

In actuality I may have promised to get one but then never bought it, 😆

njee20
    Free Member

Oh so that is what you really meant, not my fault if you write like an 11yr old

Oh teh ironing. Why did you reply after 2 months? 😕

seosamh77
    Free Member

Rear speeding! 😆 piss off.

twisty

Oh teh ironing. Why did you reply after 2 months?

Better late than never I guess.

5lab

obvious thread-bumping narcissism is obvious

Rorschach
    Free Member

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Rear speeding – good idea?’ is closed to new replies.