Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Rear mech cage length
  • hoberinos
    Free Member

SRAM x9 2009 rear mech.

Anyone know if it's possible to convert a medium to long cage?

Thanks.

tinsy
    Free Member

Even if you can buy all the bits, I would have though the cost was prohibitive. If your careful you can run a triple with a med cage. (stick to 32t cassettes though).

hoberinos
    Free Member

Thanks tinsy.

I'm sure you're right about the cost 🙁
    I'm currently running a triple with a 32t cassette and it does work, but I've got an excessive amount of chain slap. Might try shortening it a bit.

tinsy
    Free Member

from my experience the longer the mech the more slap, so your in the right place anyhow…

Assuming your frame is pretty conventional, what I have found is there are chainstay protectors and there are really flippin good chainstay pretectors that make it all nice and quiet.

Have a look at a Specialized bike thats got a std Spech neoprene protector, they are 5mm thick and really long (almost twice the length and thickness of most), the best you can get (in my opinion). Beware though they have gone to moulded plasctic one and i dont think its as good, though I have jammed one on my Scandal as its whats come through when I ordered a neoprene and couldnt be bothered sending it back.

hoberinos
    Free Member

That's good to know.
    I just assumed that a longer arm would be able to take up more slack…

tinsy
    Free Member

it gives the chain more leverage on the same spring tension, and also slightly more chain so more weight to slap about. (at least thats my take on it)

I run a medium cage to reduce the slap as much as possible.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Rear mech cage length’ is closed to new replies.