Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Rear lights that aren't total effluent ?
  • scruff
    Free Member

Mine seem to last 3 months winter use if lucky, the rain / water off the back wheel always gets in and rots the innards. Tried cheap ones and expensive one, are the Knog ones anygood or just nice shapes and marketing?

Its for MTB to and from the trails / pub, not commuting.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Knogs seem relatively waterproof, but ain't that bright.

Cateye=shite

mattp
    Free Member

scruff – i've had a knog since october ish last year the really small rubbery looking one that wraps round your seatpost. the bike is used 3-5 times per week off road and i never take the light off. had to replace the battery once and wipe off with my glove when the mud gets too thick. only downside is it's not very bright so if you are using v dark areas would recommend a second one but at less than a tenner pretty good value

neil853
    Free Member

I'm running blackburn flea's, seem good so far and they're really bright. decent back up light for offroad nightrides (obviously not to ride fast offraod but will get you home) had mine three months and still fine, thats three times a week commuting (2hrs per day)

scruff
    Free Member

Yes has smart, cateye & knightlites or something. I dont think it helps that the local dirt is highly alkaline.

twinklydave

I've got one of these BLT Fantom things out back – it's on it's 2nd winter on the commute/training bike and has put up with long, wet rides better than anything I've used before.

The backet is pants (it's currently being anchored down with a couple of elastic bands) and it's a bit bulky, so can catch on my leg occasionally while pedalling, but it's very bright and hasn't missed a beat yet.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

If I'm going off road I clip mine onto my camelback, keeps the worst off.

scotabroad

I use a Smart 5 led one and its lasted a couple of winters now, good on batteries, nice and bright, and cheap to buy

J0N
    Free Member

Put it on your pack or helmet so that its out of the way of the worst mud.
    Or get a mudguard.

scruff
    Free Member

If its on your pack or helmet it points all over the place not always at the cars. Rear mudguard is simply not an option.

I do like the idea of a knog one with the stretchy band thing but CRC has some really cheap smart ones, I think I might just get two …

Rickos
    Free Member

Houns recently got one of these http://www.2pure.co.uk/NiteRider-Cherry-Bomb off the blokes at The Bike Chain. He says all he could see were little red stars when the fool looked directly into it. Ha!

D0NK

most commute lights I've had have been pants, including several cateyes but the tl-ld500s are pretty good and are lasting well tho the switch to full mudguards on the commuter may be helping. Also have the Knog bullfrogs, they're OK, you need to clean and dry them out now again but a good 2nd light and excellent for swapping from bike to bike.

Houns

Rickos? Rickos? Is that you Rickos? *fumbles about knocking over lamp*

I didn't look directly into it either!

MrKmkII
    Free Member

i use a revolution that's about a year old and i guess it's fine. however, my trek 15 year old three led is still going strong! lost the bracket so just clips to my bag or into a mesh pocket. do trek still do lights, one wonders??

scotia
    Free Member

why is mudgaurd not an option? your seatpost doesnt have enough room to fit one? Your frame configuration means its not possible? You're too worried about asthetics?

doesnt matter really what light you have if you're just going to splat mud all over it does it..

keppoch

I bought a Knog Skink rear light, It looked like it should have been ideal for salty roads but it took only 6 weeks for the water to make the electronics go loopy and unreliable, occasionally turning off (not good). To replace it I got an 'Electron Nano' simple light which has no seams directly in the line of fire and is still working 3 months later as well as being far brighter. Cheap too, see here:

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/106591.html

BigJohn

The strange one I got from Henry Burton (its got a little sensor on the end of the elastic that you tap the light to turn it on/off) has been perfect for a couple of years. The cheap Tesco one that velcros to the seatpost has also been good.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Has survived 2 winters and a Scottish summer on the back of my bike.

snakebite
    Free Member

I'll choose you one and pop it on your account darling!

scruff
    Free Member

No dont. Accounts got enough on it.

foxyrider
    Free Member

IMHO – I got 2 Cateye TL – LD1100 – 10 Led Rear Lights. V bright and comumte 3 times a week. I have had them for 3-4 years and batteries have lasted very well and not problems with water penetration. Bit bulky bit everything else is spot on 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Rear lights that aren't total effluent ?’ is closed to new replies.