Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Rear Cassette in the dishwasher
  • andyfla
    Free Member

I have just cleaned my rear cassette , but for a really sparkly shine is there any reason not to put it in the dishwasher ?

Apart from the misses of course

wwaswas

if it’s a SRAM one with anodised carrier you may find the abrasive nature of the dishwasher stuff may dull it a bit.

Do take it off the wheel first.

andyfla
    Free Member

It is SRAM, and that is a good idea, although I did want to clean my rims so may ignore your second suggestion

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s a bit pointless since it’ll be dirty inside 5 miles anyway, but go ahead 🙂

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

a decent degreaser should get it pretty much sparkling in about 4 mintues with a brush?

oil and grime in the dishwasher?? sounds badddd mannnn

uwe-r
    Free Member

I gave my chain the mother of all cleans last weekend. Its dirty again now.

andyfla
    Free Member

The grime is off with degreaser, I just wanted that final shine

cp

neat fairy on one of these and my cassette comes up sparkly clean in a minute or so –

PS I don’t find a diswasher great at cleaning bike parts. Tried it with chainrings and it just doesn’t get the cack off.

oldgit
    Free Member

A good soaking in automotive disc brake cleaner does it a treat.
    It’s great for cleaning up all sorts i.e a rear mech will look like new inside and out. It’s strong stuff but doesn’t need to be on long before you wash it off.

Coyote
    Free Member

Er… I wouldn’t.

andyfla
    Free Member

so the consensus is don’t be so bl**dy stupid ?

molgrips
    Free Member

Fully recommend one of these:

grievoustim
    Free Member

Feel free to pop your front cassette in there though 🙂

stumpyjon

I was wondering about getting an ultrasonic cleaner, about £ 50 from Maplin with a 750ml capacity. I’m the sort of person who takes their bike apart once a year and cleans every part with degreaser and a tooth brush 😳

bikebouy
    Free Member

I ride in lanes along the South Downs, no matter how hard I clean my bike it’s covered in pig poo and field run off in minutes.. But I like the idea of the dishwasher angle, could try it once or twice a year I guess.. hmmm.. You say it gets rid of the M’sus too…?? Bonus.

timber

Used to drop my drivetrain in a works industrial dishwasher, 98 degrees, cleaning fluid so concentrated it burns, lovely finish. Just wire it all together or put it in a cutlery cage.

First few washes of the day did come out a bit scummy apparently, but I was out the warehouse by then

cheez0
    Free Member

Wouldn’t want to pop my parts in the ‘ parts washer’!

I got some well cheap lidls spray-on chain cleaner the other day, bloody ace!

nixie

I was wondering about getting an ultrasonic cleaner, about £ 50 from Maplin with a 750ml capacity. I’m the sort of person who takes their bike apart once a year and cleans every part with degreaser and a tooth brush

That model is on offer till the 17th at £24.99. I think a cassette will just fit it (will take CD’s apparently). At that price though I just bought one to see. If its not big enough I’ll just sell it for more after the promotion ends :D.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Try wet wipes if cassette can come apart.

Kahurangi

Dishwasher salt is nasty. I have tried that and the results weren’t worth the salt etching on the finish.

Moonhead
    Free Member

I used white spirit and a toothbrush the other week after reading a thread on here. Worked a treat on the cassette and the chain. Did a rinse then a bit of lube action and all was well.

Using the dishwasher ‘seems’ like an inspired idea, minimum effort and maximum results but I’m not sure you should get your other half to clean your parts. Or your cassette.

wallop

You lazy sods! Just get a toothbrush and a bit of degreaser – it doesn’t exactly take long!

rustler
    Free Member

I’ve washed plenty of parts in ours. Black Hone cranks went a bit chalk, but cassettes come out a treat. Give them a a good clean with decent cleaner first to soften it HP.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Rear Cassette in the dishwasher’ is closed to new replies.