Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Reaming seat tube?
  • richcc
    Free Member

I'm fancying a Thomson post for the Soul but the frame has scratched the Easton post that's currently in there. There must be a couple of burrs around the frame slot.

Is it worth getting it reamed by bike shop or should I just MTFU and take a file to it myself?

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Just use a half moon shaped file to take the edges off around the clamp,worked for me.

fadda

Use a small flap wheel sander on a power drill…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Kahurangi

In my uni workshop the head of the 'shop had a lovely de-burring tool he kept in his overall pocket 🙂

Failing that a file might do you.

You'll be able to feel any burrs around the top of the tube if you're careful – if the burr is lower down at say the seat stay junction you might struggle?

geetee1972
    Free Member

You see it's things like that which really show up the poor attention to detail that has become common place with too many manufacturer.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I hardly think its something thats got any better or worse really?

geetee1972
    Free Member

True, but I guess I was reflecting on the modern trend of boutique brands like Cotic; bikes look higher quality on the outside than they used to and therefore you would expect the quality on the inside to be comparable.

The quality of finishing that you can see on the boutique brands like Cotic, On One, Dialled, Cove, Intense, Turner, Curtis et al is amazing but all too often the quality that you can't see is lacking.

Intense are a case in point; amazing brand, fab looking bikes, awesome welds etc, but they are about as well aligned as the San Andreas fault and consequently everyone I know who has one has to change their bearings every 12 months because they wear out.

bobbyspangles

true.

bobbyspangles

get it reamed properly if you want the smoothest surface for you seatpost

kelvin

You'll find a Thomson post is slightly looser in the frame than the Easton one, so careful with the reaming. Also, is it a recent Soul, with the black coating on the inside of the seat-tube?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Reaming seat tube?’ is closed to new replies.