Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • really sorry – but what's good these days in cheap lights?
  • chriswilk
    Free Member

I need a couple for the commute, and for riding with the kids when they are using my good ones.

sharkattack
    Conan257
    Free Member

Maybe a bit much for commuting on lit roads… But +1 for the C&B

chriswilk
    Free Member

commuting is on unlit hills.

will64
    Free Member

CandB seen with the waterproof battery because it’s far more robust. Easy to swap around and well made.

andylc
    Free Member

I bought a 3 X Xml t6 bike light from eBay recently – about £25 and just an awesome light, seems well built too. Have to hold your hand over it when cars are coming though as its too bright.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I bought some of these a few months back and have been using them for commuting through the lanes and for night rides here on Dartmoor. Really good lights for the money. Head unit appears to be particularly well made. Battery pack is a little on the flimsy side but easily sorted.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-XM-L-XML-T6-LED-1800-Lm-Bicycle-bike-Head-Light-Headlamp-Rechargeable-Head-/221289019511?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item3385da7877

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Purchased one of
    these

and this one
    last week.
    Did my first ever night ride today,well pleased wth the lights.
    Good quality and quick posting.

gaberin
    Free Member

@beiciwr64, what the runtime like on the solar storm you bought?

Cheers
    Gabe

beiciwr64
    Free Member

what the runtime like on the solar storm you bought?

Can’t really say at the moment,just a quick test run tonight at CYB.
    I ran them for about 90 mins and no probs.
    I’ll try them longer next time and see how they go.

MarkLG
    Free Member

This for £70. Quality light, decent battery and charger, and 2 year warranty.

You can buy a lot of lighting power for little money on ebay, but the batteries are junk and the chargers are fire hazards. The single LED XML-T6 linked to above would be ample for road use, and you’ll get a couple of hours out of the supplied battery. For anything with more than 1 LED you’ll need to budget for a decent quality battery to get a decent run time out of it, at which point they start to become less of a bargain.

alanl
    Free Member

Any rear light on the market. For the front, a Cree 1200, available for £16ish, ebay and amazon.

chriswilk
    Free Member

can’t beat the cheapy Cree 1200 for value (yes, I know the batteries are crap, and I already have a good charger that will do the job)

What about torch type options – much faster to remove from the bike when at work.

fudge9202
    Free Member

this

Just ordered the Solarstorm head unit £13
    Battery from Torchy 34.99
    Charger for £9 (UK plug and CE Certified with 12 month warranty)

All in £57.00 I think that’s a Bargain!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘really sorry – but what's good these days in cheap lights?’ is closed to new replies.