Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Real World effect of stem length?
  • colournoise

Current set up is 100mm travel hardtail, 50mm 0 degree rise stem, 760mm 2″ risers and something around 70 degree head angle.

I like a fast, almost twitchy front end (have always set my bikes up like this – used to use BMX stems on my MTB back in the 1″ quill days), but just occasionally I get some washing out on corners or front end lift when climbing.

Would I see any real change in going to a 70mm stem (don’t really want to go any longer) or would I be better off concentrating on my position on the bike and keeping the steering feel I’m used to?

slainte ❓ rob

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Longer stems can “open up” a bike, making it easier to move your weight forward and breathe more easily – very good for attacking climbs. In my limited experience, short stems combined with wider bars seem to help counteract the effect of slack steering on long-forked bikes without overly cramping the climbing position.

Anyone else?

mrmo
    Free Member

short stem weight goes back, front wheel is going to be more prone to lift, risers increase this further.

But it is all about style and balance, i run flat bars low rise stem longish stem and steep angles, but suits how i ride. Not interested in long travel and laid back, which would descend better but climb worse.

HermanShake
    Free Member

I’m just going from 70-50, I may have a 70mm RaceFace Ride on the classifieds next week.

Bars, fork and frame combine to make a number of variables on top of the stem.

On my old fixed gear I went from 100mm to 50mm and that made a huge difference! I like the snappy feel of short stems, but I find the front wanders less with a longer. 70mm’s been a pretty good in betweener, but I think I would benefit from the 50 (just got one off the forum today).

What sort of stuff do you ride? I’m near wiggly wooded singletrack, lots of hairpins and sections just marginally wider than my bars hence the change!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

short stem weight goes back, front wheel is going to be more prone to lift, risers increase this further.

I must confess to having not noticed that. Shorter stem length is not changing my balance point on the pedals, not shortening the distance between my feet and rear axle. There is no point when the length of the stem is limiting how far I can move off the back of my bike (a crap technique most of the time anyway) – if want to get right back for a very steep roll-down, I get lower and my arms are plenty long enough. 2cm off a stem isn’t going to change The World. It does make the cockpit more cramped, counteracted somewhat by having wider bars.

But it does make the steering snappier, which makes slack, long-forked bikes corner OK on singletrack.

Probably talking out of my bottom. It’s late. 😀

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Real World effect of stem length?’ is closed to new replies.