Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Reading a book?
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Pick a random passage from a book that you’re currently reading.

“They referred to each other as ”Er-Down-Under’ and ”Er-Up-Atop, the Varmint’; for each to the other was an airy nothing, a local habitation not fit to be named.”

donsimon
    Free Member

“I’ve had a few original ideas in my time but running a pub would not qualify as one of them.”

Now what?

aracer
    Free Member

After a time he began to wander about, going lippity – lippity – not very fast, and looking all around.

Kevevs
    Free Member

..”but of course, there is a more mundane reason why people may not be aware of these findings on antioxidants, or at least may not take them seriously, and that is the phenomenal lobbying power of a large, sometimes dirty industry, which sells a lifestyle product that many people feel passionate about”…

nickf
    Free Member

Last night I changed my mind and decided to stay alive. Everything that follows is . . . just to try and explain

atlaz
    Free Member

“Many words are said, but they make no more impact on Daniel than Mrs. Goose’s incoherent narratives about cutlery leaping over celestial bodies and sluttish hags living in discarded footwear.”

Beagleboy

As most phage lyse the cells they infect, any form of selection based on antibiotic resistance would be totally inappropriate.

AndyRT
    Free Member

and the Gruffalo snored and snored and snored 🙂

derekrides
    Free Member

Colin tried again and again to wrestle against the leather bonds, biting hard down on the cue ball as she ruthlessly whipped his naked….

simonralli2
    Free Member

Thus the paradox: the reversible Schrodinger equation can be tested only by irreversible measurements that the equation is by definition unable to describe.

camo16
    Free Member

Certainly, when asked to give happiness and light, he complied. The great tapestry paintings at the Prado reproduce the brilliant skies and warm shadows of a festive Castilian summer.

And…

“Oh no,” Susan shrieked as the slugs moved in on her. “If only I hadn’t broken Derek’s single-pointed ninja concentration, he’d be alive right now. I am truly a foolish orphan artist woman.”

“You’re telling me, sweet-cheeks,” said a man-eating sexually predatory slug. ‘Now come on – give Daddy some sugar.”

GrahamS

I looked around at the algae. Bitterness welled up in me. The radiant promise it offered during the day was replaced in my heart by all the treachery it delivered at night.

I muttered, “Nothing but teeth left! TEETH!”

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

“The End”

Stoner
    Free Member

To test for the effect of self-siphonage the sanitary appliance should be filled to over-flow level and then discharged by removing the waste outlet plug; WC pans should be flushed.

stevomcd
    Free Member

“…the unique, unforgettable smell of a beaver.”

midlifecrashes

“All the racing was rigged and on a more serious note, cocaine was served up instead of dessert.”

samuri
    Free Member

“While SAP provides a Security Library (SAPSECULIB) as a software solution for digital signatures as well as standard support for SSF in certain application modules such as PDM or ArchiveLink, a high degree of protection is achieved only when private keys are secured using hardware devices such as smart cards.”

Interesting, nuh?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

midlifecrashes – Member
    “All the racing was rigged and on a more serious note, cocaine was served up instead of dessert.”

“Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: Hunter Thompson”?

molgrips
    Free Member

Kevevs – what findings on antioxidants?

baldSpot
    Free Member

“Debbie had a feeling she was really going to like Dallas”

donsimon
    Free Member

“Debbie had a feeling she was really going to like Dallas”

I saw the film once, I can’t imagine the book being much fun though unless there are lots of pictures and even then….

thebunk

Bring us the supplementary sausage roll!, they roared.

(camo16, have you finished your opus yet?)

BikePawl
    Free Member

“I was so rattled I glanced round to mkake sure this wasn’t a signal for an army of bunnies like this Doberman of a beast to come up behind an tear me to shreds.”

camo16
    Free Member

(camo16, have you finished your opus yet?)

thebunk, it may be resurrected one day… I’m more interested at the moment in an STW murder mystery (best-seller to cover all bases).

In the meantime, suck on this, John Dryden:

How fine Ian looked this morning! How his mane swished in the cool dawn breeze, as if in slow-motion. How Derek longed to stroke it.

“Hey Ian,” said Derek. “I like the plaited tail thing you’ve got going on. Very ABBA.”

“Oh hi Derek,” Ian replied, taking a step backwards. “I swear I’ll never get used to this whole ninja approach thing… and stop staring at me like that. You’re making me nervous.”

“Easy, easy, easy,” Derek soothed. “I promise I’ll take it easy.”

“Swear?” said Ian. “I’ve got three miles of galloping to get through before 11 o’clock so I can’t afford to be sore.”

aP
    Free Member

I piled into the admiral’s barge and pushed off with the coxswain. For a full hour and a half we plowed…

D0NK

“this is the end. I am going, I am leaving NOW. GOOD-BYE!”

not sure if it’s the 4th or 5th time.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Tolkien.

jon1973
    Free Member

“Spot hasn’t eaten his supper. Where can it be?”

philconsequence
    Free Member

it was the first time mary had been forced into a corner by the velociraptors, years on the streets hadnt prepared her for the lesson she was about to learn; the sensitive, sexual side of the beasts.

DezB
    Free Member

“They’d call us girls because of the long hair. “How you doing girls? Dance with me?”. Hair… the little things you wouldn’t think about that changed whole cultures.”

(oh, I see you have to guess the book!)

emsz
    Free Member

nickf is reading espidair street :mrgreen: by ian banks

vinnyeh

Biggles sat staring at the others. “Ginger, you might take a walk round the West End shops today and see if you can find any black ties with red spots.”

aracer
    Free Member

“Spot hasn’t eaten his supper. Where can it be?”

Is he under the bed?

nickf
    Free Member

nickf is reading espidair street by ian banks

Iain Banks gets very shirty if you don’t spell his name correctly…….. but yes, I’m re-reading it for the umpteenth time. Not great literature, but the fact that I’m now on my sixth copy makes it my most-read book.

camo16
    Free Member

nickf is reading ‘Spell my damn name right’ by Ian Bainks.

totalshell

have you got any cheese? its so long since i had cheese..

GrahamS

Is he under the bed?

No, it’s a green alligator. Is he in the piano?

emsz
    Free Member

To reduce inventory and improve inventory turnover, retailers nether stock nor display all 300 stock numbers, Rather they stock and display about 100 stock numbers.

*sigh*

camo16
    Free Member

To reduce inventory and improve inventory turnover, retailers nether stock nor display all 300 stock numbers, Rather they stock and display about 100 stock numbers.

What happens to the other 200, emsz? Bit of a cliff-hanger that.

emsz
    Free Member

Nothing desperately exciting I’m guessing 🙄

Rubyfruit Jungle is a page turner by comparison

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Reading a book?’ is closed to new replies.