Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Rea wheel buckled
  • mikey74
    Free Member

When some idiot pulled out on me a few weeks ago, they caught my rear wheel and buckled it. A mate of mine was going to re-build it for me, but can’t do it for ages.

Any recommendations for alternative places to get a wheel re-built in the south-east (I’m in West Sussex)? Would any of the mail-order firms, like Ribble, Wiggle, CR etc, do it if I posted it to them?

Jamie
    Free Member

That’s what he gets for riding on the road to hell…..

*taps mic*

Is this thing on?

mikey74
    Free Member

Bump!!!

Any sensible comments? 🙄

flatfish
    Free Member

LBS?
    Radical idea but might be worth a try.

mikey74
    Free Member

Considering that my LBS is Evans Cycles, I’m not too keen on that idea.

The other “LBS” I have tried wanted to charge £120 for putting a new rim on 😯

flatfish
    Free Member

I said LBS, not bike supermarket!
    Dear god man, I’d rather stick forks in my eyes than use them.

flatfish
    Free Member

120 QUID??????
    You could buy rim, hub, nipples, spokes and the build for that money.

mikey74
    Free Member

Exactly my point. The only other bike shop within 15 miles of here is the one I mentioned, that wants to charge £120.

I could get a whole new wheel for that.

Hence, why I am asking here.

Edit: Oh, delayed reaction there, huh? :mrgreen:

takisawa2

Have a go yourself. Its pretty straightforward. I did one & it came out spot on. Wouldnt hesitate to do my own next time. I used a wheel jig, but I reckon building it on a frame would be fine. Just got to be methodical.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve not heard of mail order guys doing it by post.

Phone a few more LBS’s.

mikey74
    Free Member

I don’t have any more LBSs near me.

Dancake
    Free Member

If it is a disc wheel and the rim isnt creased etc, I would buy a spoke spanner and have a go yourself. It really isnt that hard. You need patience.

I did my first one with

Laptop
    Sheldon Brown on the Laptop
    Beer

Milkie
    Free Member

£120! How buckled is it!? My LBS charges about £10-£15.

mikey74
    Free Member

If it is a disc wheel and the rim isnt creased etc

It’s a road bike wheel – Mavic Open Pro Rim.

To be honest, I hadn’t thought of just getting it re-trued: I assumed, as it had been whacked by a car, that the rim should be replaced.

That £120 was for a new rim and re-build.

wwaswas

depends how much the rim costs and how many spokes it needs.

might be cheaper to get a whole new wheel…

herusix
    Free Member

Personally I’d have a go at truing it first,if it turns out it’s beyond repair I would seriously have a go at rebuilding it yourself.
    I have literally just rebuilt a Mavic cross ride rear wheel after it got tw4tted up.
    Took me about half an hour to relace it with just the aid of some photos I took of the original and about another 20mins to get it all trued up both laterally and radially ( ie.round not egg shaped )

Quite impressed at how it came together as it was my first time and think I will have a go at building my own wheels in future as it is very satisfying.

mikey74
    Free Member

What did you use for a truing stand?

herusix
    Free Member

Turned the bike upside down and fastened a couple of cable ties to the chain stays then trimmed them ( the cable ties that is) just short of the rim ie.1mm gap.
    It’s easier to true the wheel if you remove the tyre,tube and rim tape as you can then just use a small screwdriver to tighten/loosen the nipples to adjust any kinks and highs it’s out.

If you have never trued a wheel before it’s worth having a look on Sheldon Browns website.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Rea wheel buckled’ is closed to new replies.