Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Re sealing a Hip Flask?
  • ronjeremy
    Free Member

Hi all, thought I’d turn to the font of all knowledge that is the STW collective to try and help me save near disaster, my favourite hip flask has a leak!!! It is only a small pin hole sized leak in the bottom corner where the side meets the base, I could replace it with a new one, but I like this one, is there any remedy? As the hole is small I debated using a bit is super glue and then leaving it to harden before use, but was worried this would affect the flavour, or could such a small hole be welded? The flask is stainless steel if that helps at all..

Edric64
    Free Member

How about going to a jeweller and getting a spot of silver solder popped in ? Will that work on SS anyone?

18bikes

I was just thinking that, Stainless steel has to be silver soldered/hard brazed/whatever you want to call it. it cannot be done with brass, a decent jeweller or a framebuilder should be able to do sort this. My only question would be regarding “food grade” filler as the stainless will be a different grade to that used for bikes/jewellery and the filler may contain something you wouldn’t want near your food but I just don’t know

Matt

gusamc
    Free Member

on the glue front I’d suggest two tube Ararldite, super glue appears to harden/brittle/fail over quite a short time in my experience.

MrOvershoot

gusamc – Member

on the glue front I’d suggest two tube Ararldite, super glue appears to harden/brittle/fail over quite a short time in my experience.
    Spot on, I have repaired industrial still units with 2 part epoxy.

iDave
    Free Member

sugru?

ronjeremy
    Free Member

I think I’ll bang some gaffer tape over it in the interim, surgu looks interesting, I may well phone some jewellers tomorrow to see what they say

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Re sealing a Hip Flask?’ is closed to new replies.