• This topic has 9 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by LAT.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • RC405 and Fox Float RP23
  • BadlyWiredDog

Wondering if anyone's stuck an RP23 on a Pace RC405 and if so, how it worked. I'm thinking about going Fox and selling off the nearly new 190/50 DT Swiss platform shock that's fitted at the moment.

What shock do the Turner bikes with the similar DW linkage use?

BadlyWiredDog

I'll take that as a no then. Well, after blowing my DT Swiss shock quite emphatically, I'm sticking a 2010 Fox RP23 on the back of the Pace, so I guess I'll be able to answer my own question.

I quite like the DT Swiss, has a nice floaty feel to it, but I'm not sure I trust it any more – this is number two.

cymohndee
    Free Member

My DT Swiss is still going strong on my RC405 2yrs in. Let us know how you get on BWD.

BadlyWiredDog

🙂 The first one wore the anodising – apparently you're supposed to clean the air can seals regularly but also got a couple of gouges out of the shaft from, erm, rocks I guess. The second one has just blown its rebound out in the Pyrenees, no damping, no platform. It's only one month old and has been posted back to Pace, hopefully to be fixed under warranty. The bike's been ridden a lot, by the way, over winter in the Peak as well…

Anyway… RP23 should be on tomorrow. I'll post some sort of update later in the week.

BadlyWiredDog

Bolted a 2010 RP23 on today and went for a three-hour blast around the Peak. Feels nice, not quite as floaty as the DT Swiss so far, but still breaking in, generally feels tauter and more controlled, perter even.

The Pro Pedal gubbins seem mostly wasted on the Pace in the sense that it doesn't really seem to need them and, in any case, the Pro Pedal platform doesn't seem that pronounced anyway, even set to maximum. I'd be happier with a full-on lock-out for road sections, but again I need to experiment with settings etc.

I'd happily have fitted a bog stock Float R, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available to fit the Pace – 190/50 if you're wondering – so the RP23 is the only option from Fox.

So… first impressions are I think it's slightly better than the DT Swiss shock, but need to get it properly set up and see how much it frees up with use as well.

r6ymy
    Free Member

apparently you're supposed to clean the air can seals regularly

Is that a DIY job? Any details on how you do it? I don't fancy paying £80 for a service on a frequent basis.

BadlyWiredDog

apparently you're supposed to clean the air can seals regularly

Is that a DIY job? Any details on how you do it? I don't fancy paying £80 for a service on a frequent basis.
    [/quote]

Yes, it's dead easy.

1. Let air out of can using valve.

2. Unscrew the can, it's a normal thread and you'll end up with the can in one hand and the damper in the other. It's pretty obvious once you start.

3. Clean up seals, regrease / oil / whatever.

4. Screw back together.

No special tools needed. I guess the obvious, if you're concerned, is to talk to Pace and see what they suggest in terms of lubrication. To keep the warranty valid, you're supposed to have the shock serviced annually. Pace turned mine around under warranty in three days by the way, apparently a seal had gone in the damper and an uprated one was fitted. They say generally it's a reliable shock and they don't get many back, so I guess I was just unlucky.

The RP23 by the way – just in case I perfect time travel in the past, so I can answer my own question in advance – is brilliant. Thrashed it senseless over Cut Gate yesterday and it feels lovely. It's a 2010 unit with the Boost Valve gubbins and seems to be able to combine really controlled damping with good small bump response – fab traction on climbs – with properly good big bump response. O-ring showed I used all the travel coming down, but there was no hint of a bottom out at any time.

I'm very, very happy with it. The bike's great with the DT Swiss, but I think the Fox feels even better. Like I said before, not quite as floaty maybe, but more controlled. The Pro-Pedal doesn't seem to do much though.

Now about that time travel thing…

nickc

Would it be worth sticking a coil on there to see what it performed like then? As it doesn't really need pro pedal or any of that stuff…

BadlyWiredDog

Would it be worth sticking a coil on there to see what it performed like then? As it doesn't really need pro pedal or any of that stuff…

Don't see why not. I did think about it briefly and I guess someone like TFT would be able to have a good stab at getting the right spring rate for you – their guesstimate for shock pressure on the RP23 was spot on. Obviously it'd weigh slightly more, but my RC405 with Pushed Air U-Turn Pike, 203/18mm XT brakes, Flows on DT Swiss (r) / Pro 2 (f), SLX chain-set etc, weighs around 30lb anyway.

The Pro-Pedal effect on the 2010 shock seems to be quite subtle anyway.

Report back if you do, but I'm pretty happy with the Pushed Pike / RP23 combination 🙂

LAT

I am considering putting an RP23 on my 405. Which compression tune did you go for?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘RC405 and Fox Float RP23’ is closed to new replies.