Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • RC31 Broken
  • Conespanner

After my four month lay off I went to jump back on my singlespeed. As i pulled the dusty bike out of the shed I noticed the drop out on the disk side had sheared vertically . Has anybody else had experience like this?

Fork has only been used with a 165mm disk from new and as it is my second bike has not been used excessively so being an engineer myself, I would not expect it to fail.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

My RC31s took a fair bit of abuse on my SS. Was surprised by them… an excellent fork (unless your dropout shears off!).

messiah
    Free Member

Dropout twisted on mine, sent to Pace to get it rebonded and the leg twisted in the crown = in the bin.

Conespanner

This is a vertical split mid way between the drop out and the brake mounts. I have another set that go on my Cotic over the winter months that are older and look perfect. These broken forks have had a very gentle life and shouldn’t in my opinion have failed.

I need some new rigid forks now but I’m reluctant to replace them with similar

TheGingerOne

Just an idea, but has the bike ever been stored upright without the front wheel in? If it has, then maybe at some point they were moved or suffered an impact with the ground which caused it.

I seem to recall in the literature with mine that it states you should never do that as the dropouts ‘don’t like it’ – I’m sure they phrase that bit differently though!!

Jase
    Free Member

A friend sheared his a few years back, can’t lay my hands on a photo.

Conespanner

They have also never been put in a roof carrier with the front wheel removed which is another stipulation

simon1975

The dropout on mine cracked across the upper brake bolt hole. Pace wanted £50 (plus two lots of postage) to replace the new dropouts – decided not worth it given the age of the fork and because I’d only paid £60 for it…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘RC31 Broken’ is closed to new replies.