Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Rc plane or Rc car?
  • gilbertodepiento
    Free Member

I’d like to buy a new radio controlled model. I will have as much opportunity to use either and would need to travel to use them properly (flying site or race/BMX track) Which would you buy? I can fly planes so that’s not an issue. Just can’t decide. I’m more likely to be able to drive the car with my 4yr old (supervised) but it’s technically not for him. It’s for me.
    Thanks all.

john_drummer
    Free Member

helicopter

bails

Is there any weather that would stop you flying the plane that wouldn’t stop you driving the car? Are they ‘grounded’ by wind?

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Cars much simpler for the kids. Mine have buggies and the eldest of the two has an EPP slope soarer that gets much abuse.

If it were me I would go with whatever you prefer. Will get more use that way.

mogrim

Car. Get a kit and build it together.

gilbertodepiento
    Free Member

I currently have a bashed up foam plane, 2 quads but no car. I break helicopters and don’t have the patience to learn to fly them. Car has advantage that I can run it outside the door but that’s pretty boring after a few minutes. Planes are mor interesting but I can’t just step out the door and run them. Plus my plane is pretty battered. It’s ‘gone in’ a few times. 🙂
    I like them both. Hence the questions. I’ve had loads of cars in the past. Used to race 1/8th nitro, touring cars and 1/10th off road so I’m not a novice, just indecisive.

Milkie
    Free Member

RC Buggy, take it to the pump track with your bike… Get bored, use the bike, get tired use the Buggy. 😉

1/8th Hyper 8.5 Pro Buggy here.. It flys! 😯

gilbertodepiento
    Free Member

Needs to be electric but I get what you’re saying. Thanks for thoughts.

gazc
    Free Member

i’d get a helicopter – theres a flying club a couple of miles from me and i’ve ridden past a few times. keep meaning to stop and speak to one of them but they always look totally engrossed and i dont want to cause an accident! had car and boats all good fun too, especially 1/8th at bmx tracks 🙂

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

helicopter

Specifically FPV helicopter

gilbertodepiento
    Free Member

Tried helis and didn’t get on with them.
    Thanks people.

toppers3933
    Free Member

i like cars. fast ones.

benji
    Free Member

Buggy, bit more nipper proof than a plane.

flamejob
    Free Member

Stick to the ground. Get something for the pump track.

Maybe get the nipper a 1/24th rock crawler? Its super slow and you can build fun tracks in the living room/garden.

Untitled photo by Flamejob, on Flickr

Claim to fame: I visited the Tamiya factory in Japan

jambalaya
    Free Member

As a kid I got into RC gliders found it much more interesting than powered planes. You can fly from a field (with a bunny launch system) or from a hill (slope soaring). If your son was a bit older I’d say car as then he can join in, it’s great to find stuff to do with the kids.

gilbertodepiento
    Free Member

I’m starting to agree. thinking something like a loss mini 8.

wiggles
    Free Member

Car is more useful for a muck about now and again.

Got a HB lightning truggy doing nothing I could part with for not much, if anyone is interested ,need more bike money.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

What about a yacht?

gilbertodepiento
    Free Member

yeah not so sure about a yacht. although with all the rain we’ve had theres plenty of places to sail it. 🙂

flamejob
    Free Member

My bezzy is one of the best in the world at this:
    [video]http://youtu.be/onFAnlK0M_4[/video]

aracer
    Free Member

Plane every time for me. Got little un a half decent car for xmas, and it’s fun for a little while but gets boring quickly. Far more to do with a plane. Mind you I haven’t flown in ages. Given a smallish electric plane no need for anything particularly special as a flying site. Personally I far prefer planes over helis, though I can fly both (to a basic standard).

Mind you if you can fly planes, don’t you already own one, and why are you asking our advice?

FWIW my son is just coming up to 7 and just about up to driving the car (a 1/18 4×4 buggy) – 4yo has had the controls but only with my hands also on them.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Me an my lad 10 both luckily got HPI Savage xs Flux for Christmas!!! Absolute brilliant little basher, we give them a battering each weekend and they stand up to anything, we run them on 2s batteries, good for 40+ mph,change a gear stick in a 3 s and 60+ mph available!!! Get about an hours good bashing on 2 batteries!!! Very good forum on msuk under micro and mini section, all things Savage xs!!!

gilbertodepiento
    Free Member

Aracer yes I own a plane but it’s quite beaten up. I’m not really asking for advice as such, more recommendation of which to buy because I can’t decide.

Rich_s

Got my little dude one of these http://www.modelsport.co.uk/maverick-scout-rtr-rock-crawler/rc-car-products/38123
    Much better speed-wise for him (3.5 y/o) than a buggy. Changing the motor and gears looks simple too when he gets a bit older.

aracer
    Free Member

A nice modern plane you don’t have to go somewhere special to fly then.

gilbertodepiento
    Free Member

Think I’ve settled on a buggy of some sort. Mini E-revo is a front runner at the minute. My dad told me yesterday that he’s not thrown out my old tamiya mini so might get that going for Gilberto jnr too.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Rc plane or Rc car?’ is closed to new replies.