Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Cyclocross DiscWheels???
  • bumpy
    Free Member

I’ve tried Googling it but I’m struggling to find out much info about decent CX disc wheels.

I’m looking for something that I can run tubeless for around the £300 mark. Some things I’ve read say that Hope Hoops with Crests are fine but others say not. Some things are suggesting Stans Iron Cross rims but I’ve no idea about them.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

pixelmix
    Free Member

I’ve run Hope Crest 29ers without issue. Now running Stans Iron Cross wheelset as I moved the Crests to a new 29er. Set up tubeless with yellow tape and regular tyres.

Iron Cross are a bit lighter as they have less spokes, and seem good so far. Slightly pricier than Hope Hoops though.

Kinesis have apparently lightened their CX disc wheels, so they might be worth a look too.

D0NK

I’m waiting for hope to do some iron cross “hoops” Not many factory wheels out at the moment so may have to spec your own, JRA have quite a few options

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hope/Crest would be fine but maybe a bit overbuilt if you are going racing.

If it’s lightweight racing you’re after then I’d be looking at importing some Chinese carbon. Have a look at the Light Bicycle stuff.

nedrapier

Are all cross bikes spaced for mtb hubs?

crazy-legs

Yeah, I spent ages looking for a decent lightweight set of 700c disc wheels.

Some listed here on road.cc:
    http://road.cc/content/news/96094-just-wheels-zipp-shimano-mavic-amp-velocite-and-stan%E2%80%99s

Might be able to get some more info from these road bikes too:
    http://road.cc/content/news/91714-eurobike-2013-disc-road-bikes-specialized-bianchi-merida-stevens-storck

Easton and Hope both do nice carbon clincher disc road wheels but they’re £££

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve got arch ex on mine with 35mm tyres and they’re fine too. Overkill, mind.

Most disc cross bikes are 135mm spacing (eg same as MTBs) but NOT ALL so be careful if you’re not sure.

Haze

Strada are doing Iron Cross on Hope Evo 3’s (or Novotec)

bumpy
    Free Member

Thanks for the pointers so far guys.

Just to clarify, If I enter any CX races at all, it’s only going to be for a bit of a laugh, nothing serious.
    The main part of the riding will be the 10-15 miles mainly on road into the Surrey Hills then some off-road riding round there.

bumpy
    Free Member

Strada are doing Iron Cross on Hope Evo 3’s (or Novotec)

Nice, but a bit out of my price range 😯

crazy-legs

Tell you the other thing I’m been searching high and low for (to go on my new disc wheels).

Some decent all-round type CX tyres, preferably tubeless compatible that don’t weigh 4 tons and are 35c width.
    How difficult can it be?!

Sorry for the thread hijack!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

There was a nice set on the for sale page yesterday but I just missed out 🙁

I had some iron cross on hopes built by JRA – used 32 supercomp spokes and I think they are about 1610g in weight.

I am running maxxis raze tyres tubeless and they didn’t want to properly seal for a while, so I think they would be OK on crests, as crests can be very tight/impossible with some other cross tyres.

There is a guy on ebay with some white Stans 355 on novatech which are a little heavier, but the 355 rim is a good choice for CX I think. £275 he wants, but I think cheaper if you buy direct from his wheelbuilding web site.

here

Crests on Hopes would have a better 2nd hand resale, if that is of concern. The recent Halfords prices would have been good, a set would have been something like 220 I think.

bumpy
    Free Member

There is a guy on ebay with some white Stans 355 on novatech which are a little heavier, but the 355 rim is a good choice for CX I think. £275 he wants, but I think cheaper if you buy direct from his wheelbuilding web site.

I’ve been looking at his stuff, he does the Novatech hubs with Iron Cross rims for about £275 as well.

Some decent all-round type CX tyres, preferably tubeless compatible that don’t weigh 4 tons and are 35c width.

Sorry for the thread hijack!

That’s what I’m going to be looking for next to go with the new wheels, I’ve currently got a set or Schwalbe Rapid Rob’s to be trying tubeless.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Same ebay guy with black Iron Cross on Novatech for 295:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stans-Iron-Cross-lightweight-cyclocross-bike-wheels-/161068863771?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item258073d11b

damn- beaten to it…

*** Because of the commission charged, I can offer a 6% discount on Ebay prices if you order direct. Contact us using the email at the top of the page for further details ***

crazy-legs

That’s what I’m going to be looking for next to go with the new wheels, I’ve currently got a set or Schwalbe Rapid Rob’s to be trying tubeless.

I went for Kenda Slant 6 Pro which seem to be a slightly more aggressive version of the Small Block 8 but they do say that they’re incompatible with liquid sealant. Which I only found out after buying them. 🙄

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Maxxis Raze have a nice central ridge which would be nice for riding to the Surrey Hills.

russianbob
    Free Member

I was in the exact same predicament and plumped for these…..

http://shop.18bikes.co.uk/products.php?plid=m11b0s568p1840

mrmo
    Free Member

there is a very good reason

have a read.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/cyclocross/article/cyx20100630-Rules-News–Cyclo-Cross-Regs-Update-0

basically they are banned so why make them….

D0NK

There are no such restrictions in place for domestic competition, and this will not affect the vast majority of domestic races.

only banned from UCI races mrmo and there’s plenty of “normal” people who want bigger tyres. After all trek et al make carbon superbikes but I’m sure their bread and butter is ali <£1k bikes so surely tyre manufacturers have a racer range and an everyday one?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

look at the size of the tyres on this, and they’re on iron crosses:

mrmo
    Free Member

only banned from UCI races mrmo and there’s plenty of “normal” people who want bigger tyres. After all trek et al make carbon superbikes but I’m sure their bread and butter is ali <£1k bikes so surely tyre manufacturers have a racer range and an everyday one?

yes, which is why they do make wide tyres, but they don’t make the really light ones as those are the competition quality ones, afterall the questioner did ask why they don’t make light tyres.

If there is a large enough market for competition quality tyres that are not UCI legal then maybe some manufacturers will meet it.

D0NK

Fair point mrmo but I gathered he was after reasonably light rather than racey disco slipper variety. Dunno if german domestic CX races allow 35c but Conti do cyclocross race

bumpy
    Free Member

This is bad, even with very little choice I can’t make my mind up!

The Iron Cross on Novatevh hubs look the most appealing at the moment. They seem to be a reasonable weight too.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

yes, the are only 30g or so more than mine on pro2 evos.

And on the 355 ones the front hub wasn’t the lightest one of that range either, so scope to lose some more there if it is the same hub.

pixelmix
    Free Member

The Iron Cross on Novatevh hubs look the most appealing at the moment. They seem to be a reasonable weight too.

I plumped for these recently – the pre-update Iron Cross wheels. Come fitted with yellow tape and valves already for easy tubeless setup.

Similar to the mid-range wheel in the new 2014 offerings – just with slightly different bearings and spokes. Fair chunk lighter than my Hope Crest 29ers. Your LBS should be able to get them if they deal with paligap. You might even get a below RRP deal if you ask nicely. 🙂 Edinburgh Cycle Co down in Granton in Edinburgh got mine in for me.

crazy-legs

The saga of my disc wheels continues…

Ordered a set back in late Sept/early Oct (won’t say the manufacturer) from my LBS for my new build. 700c disc wheels.
    LBS phoned distributor, all OK, wheels in stock early/mid Nov. That’s fine, I can deal with that, gives me time to get all the other parts.

On Wednesday I got a call from the shop to say that the wheels had arrived but they were the rim brake version, not disc. On Thursday, the LBS phoned the distributor, explained the error. Distributor said “oh no, disc version are OEM only, we only sell the rim brake version”. LBS said that they’d been told that disc were available, they’d ordered disc, customer had paid for disc. Ah.

So the distributor found a set of disc wheels, sent them out, they arrived at the shop today.
    With a massive ding in the rear rim.

Not sure if it was done during transit (box was completely undamaged) or what but that now means the shop has to phone the distributor again on Monday and sort out a replacement.

Sigh.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

1520g’s good for those wheels, mine are 1610 on my scales. I went for 32 spokes though – about 430 from JRA.

bumpy
    Free Member

The Stans wheelset looks pretty tasty. I’ve seen them online for about £390 which is still a bit much for me.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Have you got any old mtb wheels with decent hubs ? JRA occasionally do a ‘use your hubs’ service, and that ebay guy does as well, or the LBS might do as well.

Or you could look for some 2nd hand wheels with decent hubs and get them rebuilt at the LBS (or buy the Roger Musson book and diy) – £100 might get something with pro2 or hope xc hubs.

bumpy
    Free Member

Just spotted some wheels on Moonglu that look pretty good.

New model Hope Hubs with Stans Iron Cross rims for £350 including postage and yellow rim tape fitted. I think they might be the wheels for me 😀

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Consider whether you want those or the hoops with the Alpha 400s.

The iron cross are distinctly for low pressure off-road, whereas the 400s could do road tubeless as well.

bumpy
    Free Member

These wheels won’t be running road tubeless at all, they’re going to be just for using with asst of knobbly tyres.
    The wheels that were fitted on the bike originally will be used as road wheels with a set of normal tubed road tyres fitted.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Cyclocross DiscWheels???’ is closed to new replies.