Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Raw thumbs
  • V8_shin_print
    Free Member

My thumbs are sore and red from fitting Bontrager Jones ACX onto by bike last night. It turned into a bit of a nightmare, I managed to puncture the rear tube, scratch a rim and then to top it all I melted a hole in the front tyre when it got stuck in the microwave warming it up!
    Cue the abuse for being a prat but some tricks for getting these pigs on and off easier would be useful. If I get a puncture somewhere in the cold and wet I could be there for a very long time!
    I guess what i'm saying is: "What levers for Bonty tyres?"
    …oh, and any recommended tyre patches? grrr.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

i went and asked the lbs, they said 'yes, Bontys are a pain' and 'just don't get a puncture'. perfect. i wish i had gone for the maxxis instead.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Heating tyres up in the microwave 😯

That can't be good for the tyres (which you already know!) or the microwave

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

I don't see why? unless you cook them like i did, i don't see how it is different to putting them in hot water?
    I can say for anyone who is curious that it didn't seem to help at all, they were still a bitch to get on.

DT78
    Free Member

I had lot's of probs with cont sport contacts a few weeks ago. Combination of leaving the tyre next to the radiator for an hour or so, talcing the tyre, using water/fairy liquid and patience got them on in the end.

Not looking forward to getting a puncture on the commute

D0NK

Microwave trick would be especially bad with wire bead tyres. But even with kevlar you're gonna do your tyres in I reckon, hot spots etc. Hot water will be a much safer way to do it.
    PS I got bonty mudX never had a problem getting on/off. Concentrate on technique rather than thumb power.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Yes from my experience i wouldn't recommend the microwave trick either, a hotspot was the problem when the tyre caught against the roof and didn't go round for 20 seconds.
    Hopefully no-one would be able to fold a wire beaded tyre into a microwave…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

That can't be good for the tyres (which you already know!) or the microwave

or your subsequent ready meal 🙁 [retch]

thomthumb
    Free Member

i don't see how it is different to putting them in hot water?

really? please tell me you are trolling?

there is a vast difference between conduction and radiation.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Raw thumbs’ is closed to new replies.