• This topic has 44 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by jam1e.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Raspberry Pi numpty seeks help
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

hi

Youngest is learning to code with Scrarch at school and has asked for a Pi for Christmas

This is not something I have any knowledge of at all, in fact logging on here requires all of my IT powers and I still usually need help 🙂

I have seen starter kits at Maplin but figure I could probably do better online
    Which websites would be good places to look for a bundle suitable for a 10 year old please?

I’m useless at stuff like this but she isn’t, however I do want something that won’t be too complicated for her

Cheers, currently looking at monitors on eBay………

nickjb
    Free Member

If you are just looking at programming then all you need is a pi, SD card, keyboard, mouse, phone charger power and HDMI lead ( As well as a TV to plug into and a PC with internet to get started). There’s some great interfacing stuff as well if you want to make it do something. There also some pretty cases. I’d start simple though.

You can but the pi stand alone then pick up the other bits from Amazon/eBay/play/7dayshop/etc

If you are getting a monitor make sure it has HDMI. Might be cheaper to buy a TV

Also you might want some way to connect to the internet. Network cable or compatible wifi dongle

GrahamS

My mate works here: http://shop.pimoroni.com/

Little startup in Sheffield with him and a few friends.
    They sell Pi kits, cases and other lovely stuff.

Klunk
    Free Member

I love geekery and all things programming, looked at the pi and think the whole approach is a mess…. get him a cheap laptop, loads of free compilers and such like.

wwaswas

My kids both learned to code in Scratch and a Pi is as good a tool for that as any.

If you’re not technical I’d get a kit that you can plug and play with (and try it before Christmas morning so you *know* you can get it to work).

My daughter had a great little add on with various buttons switches etc that you coudl cause to trigger events on the screen.

chambord
    Free Member

I love geekery and all things programming, looked at the pi and think the whole approach is a mess…. get him a cheap laptop, loads of free compilers and such like.

Does a laptop have easily accessible GPIO pins? And nice easy to follow tutorials for kids? And books? And shields, Pi-Face etc?

Any machine is a good tool to learn how to write some python but that’s not really the point.

sharkbait
    Free Member

looked at the pi and think the whole approach is a mess….

Brilliant. Maybe you should email the foundation I’m sure they’d love to hear from you.

I started playing with a Pi not really knowing anything and I now have three:
    One connected to our PV inverter uploading generation data to a web site during the day and backing up work data to Amazon S3 storage at night.
    Another one is monitoring the hot water temperature and loading this onto a web site that it hosts at another house. Its duties will soon also include controlling wireless sockets in that house so I can switch heaters on and off remotely.
    The other one is controlling lights (depending upon ambient light levels which it monitors) at our main house while also running XBMC.

Some of the programming I’ve done myself and some bits I’ve borrowed/adapted from various web sites – but it’s all Python which I’d never even heard of before getting the first Pi.

Hugely satisfying.

Klunk
    Free Member

very commendable, there’s no doubt it’s a very powerful bit of kit.

chambord
    Free Member

One connected to our PV inverter uploading generation data to a web site during the day and backing up work data to Amazon S3 storage at night.
    Another one is monitoring the hot water temperature and loading this onto a web site that it hosts at another house. Its duties will soon also include controlling wireless sockets in that house so I can switch heaters on and off remotely.
    The other one is controlling lights (depending upon ambient light levels which it monitors) at our main house while also running XBMC.

I dream of the days where I own my own house and can do things like this.

That is a great site.

jam1e
    Free Member

As mentioned above, Pimeroni is a great site.

Their starter kit has everything you need to get going:

Raspberry Pi Starter Kit

You want to get the Model B raspberry Pi as it has an extra usb port and more memory. This starter kit also comes with an sdcard pre-loaded with the operating system so that will save you some faffing around

jam1e
    Free Member

Oh, and if you are looking at monitors make sure they have a HDMI connection

(or get a converter from HDMI to VGA/DVI depending on what connector the monitor has)

chambord
    Free Member

get the Model B raspberry Pi

Assume you mean B+ – OP make sure you get this one, it’s newer, the same price as the B and has a few more GPIO pins, USB ports and is just generally better.

Also if you do get the above kit, make sure you get the “Coupe” case, otherwise the pins are inaccessible.

To me that looks an excellent starter kit though, and packaging etc looks nice too so an ideal present.

jam1e
    Free Member

Assume you mean B+

Yeah, you’re right, I just meant not the Model A!

cranberry
    Free Member

This http://shop.pimoroni.com/products/adventure-in-raspberry-pi-building-a-jukebox-kit and the accompanying book look like a nice idea for a beginner.

EDIT: The kit that Jam1e linked to is good, but you might already have an SD card/keyboard/usb power supply already spare at home, so you could save a bit of cash buying only what you need.

sharkbait
    Free Member

You want the B+ really. More gpio ports, slightly less power consumption (but a headless Pi will only use about 2w anyway) and more resistance to crashing when USB devices are unplugged when they shouldn’t be. Also only uses microSD cards while the B can use either (with an adapter).
    B+ has no more memory than the B.

jam-bo

how easy is it to remote desktop into a raspberry pi?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Try this Jammy

Answer is: pretty easy.

jam-bo

cool. quite fancy tinkering but don’t have a spare monitor/keyboard/mouse so would rather not have to buy them as well. be easier if I can just remote into it from my laptop.

aracer
    Free Member

I never connect a keyboard/monitor to my pis – always run them remotely. Though I’m not using a desktop, just doing things the old fashioned way with a text terminal, so no need for remote desktops. No good if you want a desktop or aren’t comfortable with a purely text interface, but to be honest you can do most stuff people do with a pi that way. I’m using PuTTY to do an SSH connection (and mounting shared directories so I can edit files on my laptop which then appear on the pi as native files – also WinSCP is a useful tool for transferring files from a laptop).

Unless I’m missing something sharkbait, that demo is using the pi as a client, so not what jam is after – I’ve also used a pi as a Spice client to run a Windows VM from a server (though it struggles a little with performance for that).

No real advantage to HDMI over DVI – the cables are just as cheap as no conversion required, it’s just a different plug. Conversion required for VGA, but the converters are so cheap that’s not really an issue either – I’ve got one of these which works fine.

I think the idea with the pi was that most people have an HDMI TV to plug into, but even if you’re still in the dark ages like me, the composite video connection actually works OK if you’ve got an old telly to plug into.

jam1e
    Free Member

iamsporticus, if you do go for the Pimoroni kit, try using the code ‘landlubber’ for 10% off

😀

Cougar

I had a Leisure Suit Larry moment there.

Quite fancy a Pi, in a “don’t have a scooby what I’d actually do with it” sort of way. Struggling to find a kit that actually has useful, interesting stuff like GPIO cables and project trickery rather than tat I don’t need like HDMI cables, keyboards and power supplies though.

ampthill

Feeling inspired

Thanks

jam-bo

Quite fancy a Pi, in a “don’t have a scooby what I’d actually do with it” sort of way.

just bought one of these on that basis:

Raspberry Pi 4

was gonna buy a netatmo weather station for my christmas present but think I might have a go at building one myself.

StirlingCrispin

Interesting thread – thanks everyone.

I run a weather station on my Pi. Feeds weather info to the web every 5 minutes.

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=ISTIRLIN11

Use a Pi connected to a Maplin USB Pro weather station:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/silver-usb-wireless-touchscreen-weather-forecaster-n96fy

Then followed the instructions here: http://www.weather.dragontail.co.uk/index.php?page=pywws_setup

Total cost was £100, including a pole for the weather station!

juanking

A Pi is worth it for XBMC alone, simply awesome and totally changed the way I watch TV and films.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’ve never really got beyond using mine for XBMC either, but a weather station sounds like a great idea.

SammyC
    Free Member

At what age do they start using these at school?

Klunk
    Free Member

used mine for as a media center for while when the xbox refused recognize the windows pc upstairs 🙄 but has since been replaced by the bluray player as it does a better job.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

after someone here posted The Audio Infuser 4700 last year I was inspired to try a pi for streaming music from NAS to stereo.

Finally started it this week. So far got the sound working and am able to stream from NAS to amp which I am pretty cuffed with. Next step get some sort of on off switch to work and some remote controlling so no need for mouse, keyboard and monitor. Then a nice case and maybe soundcard. And done. Fingers crossed.

sharkbait
    Free Member

One of the first fun things I did with a Pi was to set it up to take a picture using a usb cam and email it to me – this all happened when the connection between two gpio pins was broken (really not difficult, loads of tutorials on the pi web site).

I took the kit and put it in one of the kitchen cupboards running off a small phone charging battery and hooked the wires to the gpio pins to the magnet that holds the cupboard door closed – when the door opened the contact was broken and the picture was taken/emailed.

Using this method I discovered which of my lovely daughters was eating all the biscuits 🙂

At one point I was considering adapting the system to detect when a mole was at a particular point in the run and then having the Pi trigger a trap/small explosive charge!

Pi’s are ace.

norbert-colon

Thanks for the recommendation of http://shop.pimoroni.com/

I’ve been thinking about having a tinker with one of these and seeing if it might spark an interest with daughter number 2. I contacted Pimoroni and got some great advice, so placed an order.

Looking forward to getting cracking soon.

ampthill

Are most of you programming in Python

PJM1974
    Free Member

I have a Pi, I’d originally envisaged using it as an in-car multimedia centre with an SSD hooked up to it. I got as far as googling for Linux media players when I stumbled upon RetoPi.

My Pi now emulates a number of 1980s computers, consoles and arcade cabinets and is a great way of spending a Saturday evening enjoying a retro-nerdfest. My only complaint is that the C64 and Amiga emulators are way too slow.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

That shop sells a load of brilliantly useless but super cool stuff. I never realised I needed glow in the dark USB cables.

aracer
    Free Member

Like. 😀

I’m coding in C (was going to write C++, but actually no, it’s C). Had a play with Python, but given I’m used to coding in C no real advantage to Python, and I’m also doing some low level stuff you can’t really do in Python (and I’d have to write wrappers if I wanted to do the rest of my stuff in Python).

Though I suppose my most recent project is written in HTML, Javascript and PHP 8)

iamsporticus
    Free Member

All good stuff

Thanks all

GrahamS

Really pleased at all the positive comments about Pimoroni.
    I got a text from my mate thanking me for the increase in their site traffic 😀

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Sod the text – he owes you a beer!

GrahamS

Thread Ressurection

Pimironi have a KickStarter going for a bunch of RasPi add on modules called Flotilla:

paulosoxo
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

Can you ask them to answer one of the several emails I’ve sent asking for games that were promised with the picadade when I bought it?

#SorryForTheArseyCommentAsIThinkYoureANiceBloke!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Raspberry Pi numpty seeks help’ is closed to new replies.