Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 144 total)
  • Rascism – gone just a little too far
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

See, I’d have thought that there would have had to be processes in place to manage kids after any undesirable behaviour, even if the school had misinterpreted the behaviour, rather than just institute a draconian punishment

It is this passive racism which is the worst. Terminology such as this is reductionist and makes assumptions that all peopel of any one country or race are ‘all the same’. The people of Draconia are as diverse and open minded as anyone else. Yet this contstant tarring of people with the same brush leads people that believe that there are all like minded and insist on harsh punishment for misdemeanors. The stereotype is perpetuated by the characterisation in fiction of people like Draco Malfoy as evil and conniving. Yet this form of racism is overlloked, just because they aren’t seen as a ‘race’ in the conventional sense.

The upside is that few people want to go there on holiday and the beaches are quiet and warm.

grum
    Free Member

I think you’re missing some context to your post, hora, that or you’ve posted on the wrong thread…

Never noticed hora’s posts before?

Northwind

Burchy1 – Member

Genuinely interested, why wouldn’t it be true?

Because in general, when you hear something and think “That’s incredible”, it’s quite useful to remember what “incredible” means.

FWIW a colleague of mine quite often had similar stories about her wonderful son and about how he couldn’t do right for doing wrong, and the teachers all had it in for him, and the world had gone mad. Now it’s the police that all have it in for him, but he’s still never done anything wrong.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

FWIW a colleague of mine quite often had similar stories about her wonderful son and about how he couldn’t do right for doing wrong, and the teachers all had it in for him, and the world had gone mad. Now it’s the police that all have it in for him, but he’s still never done anything wrong.

Black fella is he?

vinnyeh

the monkey Hora has got hold of a typewriter.

CountZero

Calling names is not the same as discriminating. That’s the salient point that society seems to have lost sight of. I’m certainly not saying it’s right, but calling names and even making monkey chants or throwing bananas isn’t “discriminatory”. It’s unacceptable, crass and ignorant, but that’s not the type of action that prevents people from achieving things and enjoying equal privilege to other.

Nowadays we see footballers storming off the pitch in tears because someone has made a ‘racist’ remark. Well I’m sorry, but man the **** up! Every other person on the pitch has to tolerate every possible insult, having their wives’ integrity questioned, their parentage, hair colour… But as soon as someone mentions skin colour, they burst into tears?? It’s ridiculous. This isn’t some sort of repression, it’s sticks and stones!

Sadly, the only real ‘racism’ that’s at play in these sort of situations is that people with a different skin colour have an unvanquishable weapon in that they can accuse people of racism, whereas if say a ginger-haired person, for example, suffers abuse about their appearance, they have no recourse whatsoever.

I often don’t agree with things Shibby posts, but, dammit, he’s spot-on with this!

Burchy1
    Free Member

Because in general, when you hear something and think “That’s incredible”, it’s quite useful to remember what “incredible” means.

In general I agree, but its not always untrue. Look at Kona they’ve actually made a nice looking bike for once 😀

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I often don’t agree with things Shibby posts, but, dammit, he’s spot-on with this!

I knew people would come round to my way of thinking eventually!

On a serious note, there’s a sense of sticking ones head above the parapet when you voice an opinion like that, it shouldn’t be the case at all.

The lefty PC brigade have made far too much ground and now we’re afraid to have opinions for fear of being labelled racist. The problem is that real racism is now festering beneath the surface because people are afraid to discuss problems with certain cultures and sectors of society.

grum
    Free Member

The lefty PC brigade have made far too much ground

Yeah it was much better in the 70s when you could be racist openly without fear of disapproval.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Yeah it was much better in the 70s when you could be racist openly without fear of disapproval.

Point proven. 🙄

grum
    Free Member

How so? I’m very intrigued to know exactly how far we should reverse the ground made by the ‘lefty PC brigade’.

we’re afraid to have opinions for fear of being labelled racist.

I’m not ‘afraid to have opinions for fear of being labelled racist’. Interesting that you are.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I’m not even going to waste my time Grum. Read my earlier post. It’s quite clear that I’m not racist and don’t condone racism.

My point is that there’s always some PC whinger (in this case it’s you) ready to jump on every sentence said on the subject, edit it until it could possibly, in poor light and a prevailing wind, be considered racist by another over-sensitive PC whinger.

grum
    Free Member

Where have I accused you of racism? I tell you what’s even more prevalent than ‘PC whingers’ – people who cry ‘PC gone mad’ conspiracy at the drop of a hat when they don’t actually have a decent argument.

the kind of people that say “political correctness gone mad” are usually using that phrase as a kind of cover action to attack minorities or people that they disagree with. I’m of an age that I can see what a difference political correctness has made. When I was four years old, my grandfather drove me around Birmingham, where the Tories had just fought an election campaign saying, “if you want a **** for a neighbour, vote Labour,” and he drove me around saying, “this is where all the **** and the coons and the jungle bunnies live.” And I remember being at school in the early 80s and my teacher, when he read the register, instead of saying the name of the one asian boy in the class, he would say, “is the black spot in,” right? And all these things have gradually been eroded by political correctness, which seems to me to be about an institutionalised politeness at its worst. And if there is some fallout from this, which means that someone in an office might get in trouble one day for saying something that someone was a bit unsure about because they couldn’t decide whether it was sexist or homophobic or racist, it’s a small price to pay for the massive benefits and improvements in the quality of life for millions of people that political correctness has made. It’s a complete lie that allows the right, which basically controls media now, and international politics, to make people on the left who are concerned about the way people are represented look like killjoys. And I’m sick, I’m really sick– 84% of you in this room that have agreed with this phrase, you’re like those people who turn around and go, “you know who the most oppressed minorities in Britain are? White, middle-class men.” You’re a bunch of idiots.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Where have I accused you of racism?

Erm… How about…

I’m not ‘afraid to have opinions for fear of being labelled racist’. Interesting that you are.

GrahamS

Slightly irrelevant in this heated debate, but…

convert:
    I’m a teacher with 15 years experience… Rational and intelligent adults frequently seem to loose their common sense…

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

😆

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Not exactly accusing you of racism, it does make me wonder though.

I find that offensive and you’ve overstepped the mark.

Lifer
    Free Member

Shibboleth – Member
    My point is that there’s always some PC whinger (in this case it’s you) ready to jump on every sentence said on the subject, edit it until it could possibly, in poor light and a prevailing wind, be considered racist by another over-sensitive PC whinger.

Whinging about whingers, brilliant. Plus what a load of cobblers.

Lifer
    Free Member

Shibboleth – Member

“Not exactly accusing you of racism, it does make me wonder though.”

Bit over-senstive aren’t you?

aracer
    Free Member

Lifer, are you whinging about people whinging about whingers?

Lifer
    Free Member

Oh I hope so!

grum
    Free Member

Oh dear, if only you were from an ethnic minority, then you could accuse me of being racist and get me into trouble eh? 😉

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Grum, if you were any more intelligent, you might be able to see when you’re being used to prove a point. 🙄

grum
    Free Member

You really haven’t proved bugger all – go on, tell us what you think you’ve proved?

Instead of responding to what you imagine people have said in the lefty conspiracy in your head, try responding to what’s actually been posted, or perhaps answering some of my questions.

FWIW I don’t see your comments about footballers as racist, possibly just a bit insensitive. Which is strange given how incredibly over-sensitive you seem to be about yourself.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

You really haven’t proved bugger all – go on, tell us what you think you’ve proved?

That there’s always some hand-wringing PC whinger ready to pounce on anything and accuse someone of racism – either directly or inferred – when they’re clearly not.

It also proves how difficult it is for someone like me to seek redress when accused of racism by someone like you. If I was a different race, and I was a victim of racism, I would have the full weight of the law, and probably the support of the moderators behind me.

As it is, whingers like you can accuse me of a quite serious offense without any fear of reprisal.

grum
    Free Member

You forgot to take heed of this bit:

Instead of responding to what you imagine people have said in the lefty conspiracy in your head, try responding to what’s actually been posted

And this is really quite hilariously ironic – this is meant to be a joke right?

It also proves how difficult it is for someone like me to seek redress when accused of racism by someone like you. If I was a different race, and I was a victim of racism, I would have the full weight of the law, and probably the support of the moderators behind me.

So when footballers get upset by monkey chants and vile racist abuse, they’re being oversensitive and should just MTFU, but you think it’s reasonable to throw a hissy fit when I wondered why you were so scared of being branded a racist?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Back on topic, if what transpired is as stated you should complain to the principal, the board of governers, and if that doesn’t work, your county councillor. And the local media would love a story like this…

loum
    Free Member

… if there is some fallout from this, which means that someone in an office might get in trouble one day for saying something that someone was a bit unsure about because they couldn’t decide whether it was sexist or homophobic or racist..

A five year old kid used he word “monkey” to his mate on the “monkey bars”.
    Stewart lee’s whinge-rant is irrelevant.

grum
    Free Member

A five year old kid used he word “monkey” to his mate on the “monkey bars”.

According to a third hand account.

Not saying it’s necessarily untrue, but it has all the hallmarks of a classic tabloid ‘PC gone mad’ tale that later turns out to be a load of bollocks.

Lifer
    Free Member

Shibboleth – Member

That there’s always some hand-wringing PC whinger ready to pounce on anything and accuse someone of racism – either directly or inferred – when they’re clearly not.

As it is, whingers like you can accuse me of a quite serious offense without any fear of reprisal.

Hand wringing and more whinging about whingers in this post, without a hint of ironing. Well played sir.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

And if that fails, change schools!

trailmonkey

Read my earlier post. It’s quite clear that I’m not racist

well, if you’re not a racist shibboleth why write this ?

the only real ‘racism’ that’s at play in these sort of situations is that people with a different skin colour have an unvanquishable weapon in that they can accuse people of racism

see you’re blaming ‘people with a different skin colour’ for crying racism. well what colour skin colour did the teacher have ? because they’re the one calling racism in this case. and when you say ‘different’ skin colour, who exactly has ‘different’ skin colour and by definition who has ‘default’ skin colour ?

i don’t see it as any coincidence that the next most moronic post on the thread happened to +1 your comments

i’m sure you’re both regular callers on talksport phone-ins when you can get someone to work the phones for you.

Lifer
    Free Member

loum – Member
    A five year old kid allegedly used he word “monkey” to his alleged mate on the “monkey bars”.
    Stewart lee’s whinge-rant is irrelevant.

To that yes, but not to what Grum posted in in relation to.

loum
    Free Member

According to a third hand account.

Unless you know different, and would like to share the facts, it’s still the best account we have.
    If you’ve used a little imagination to produce your own version of events that you feel you’d rather comment on, you may as well share that too so that at least we’re all talking about the same story.

edit:
    just noticed your stealth edit.
    Fair enough. Not a fan of tabloid hysteria too, but I’d rather give the op (and his colleague’s kid) a benefit of the doubt. No reason to disbelieve yet.

edit 2.
    your posts keep growing? 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Unless you know different, and would like to share the facts, it’s still the best account we have.

Agreed, but still – it’s not much better evidence than ‘this bloke down the pub told me that his sister-in-law’s best mate heard from their cousin that……’.

It also contains inconsistencies like:

‘pretty much branded a racist’
    ‘the teacher pulled him up and called him a racist…’

Well which one is it? Did he ‘call him a racist’, or ‘pretty much brand him a racist’? Crucial difference there isn’t there.

Because of that, personally I won’t be getting in a froth about it – sorry to disappoint

infestation
    Free Member

I was in a supermarket yesterday and the women behind the dli counter was muslim all hujabbed up. She took ages to sort out some ham for me, then gave me lees than I asked for because she said she had to open another packet. So what I asked for a specific amount not what you want to give me. If she don’t like touching pork then why work there? Can’t say anthing though because people will call you a racist.

molgrips
    Free Member

So what I asked for a specific amount not what you want to give me. If she don’t like touching pork then why work there?

Maybe she was just lazy?

infestation
    Free Member

I was in a supermarket yesterday and the women behind the dli counter was muslim all hujabbed up. She took ages to sort out some ham for me, then gave me lees than I asked for because she said she had to open another packet. So what I asked for a specific amount not what you want to give me. If she don’t like touching pork then why work there? Can’t say anthing though because people will call you a racist.

grum
    Free Member

What’s the relevance of her being Muslim to this story? Did she tell you she didn’t want to open another packet because she’s a Muslim? Seems odd she would serve you ham at all if she was that fussed about it.

Can’t say anthing though

What would you like to have said?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Excuse but I asked for x amount of meat can I have x amount please as that is how much i want

Yes you would never get away with saying that. PC gone mad innit

Persoanlly I think she knew it would annoy you and it was personal- someone you know in disguise is following you to do little things like that just to ruin your day…I bet a car gets in your way on the way home…dont say I have not warned you …be careful

ocrider

Seems odd she would serve you ham at all if she was that fussed about it

This

I find it very hard to believe anybody with enough religious conviction to wear a hijab would be working on a deli counter.

Perhaps Infestation is demonstrating to the OP how stories can be skewed very easily if you leave out the odd pertinent detail 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘Rascism – gone just a little too far’ is closed to new replies.