Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • RANT: Shut means shut!!!
  • genesis
    Free Member

Its easy really, if we can't get into the forest then nobody can. Its simple, have an accident with no emergency gear and you are history as no ambulance can get you, the helo's can't fly in and mountain rescue could be at least an hour away!!!

Please use some common sense people.

radoggair
    Free Member

Which snow studded tyres thread maybe?? 😉

Daffy

*cough* I know it's llandegglllellla that you're talking about, but you might wanna mention its name next time?

Just a thought….

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

what if you don't expect to need rescuing or care if you aren't ?

genesis
    Free Member

Then you're trespassing anyway.

Smee
    Free Member

But what if the common sense is nonsense. just because you are not happy to go into the forest, it doesnt mean that others arent happy to do so and perfectly capable of getting themselves out of any shit they may find themselves in. Scottish centres all have more snow that any centre in Wales and none of them are shut…

genesis
    Free Member

FC land is different because its public.

Smee
    Free Member

Not all of the centres are on FC owned land though…

radoggair
    Free Member

rant fail !!

genesis
    Free Member

Then its up to the discretion of the land owners.

5thElefant
    Free Member

As I keep explaining to the wife, all they can do is ask you to leave by the shortest route available. Which is fair enough.

Smee
    Free Member

No it isn't.

We have a right of responsible access up here. Land ownership doesn't come into it.

genesis
    Free Member

Fair enough.

robhughes
    Free Member

News flash.
    Wales closed because of minor weather change.
    Do not enter.you will freeze to death.

project
    Free Member

So you go up to LLandegla and then fall off,youre on your own,and cant move,you phone an ambulance,if you can get a signal,its difficult in some parts,the Ambulance service send an Ambulance there.
    They cant get up the hill,no 4 wheel drive with snow chains in North Wales,so youre now getting colder,its going dark,meanwhile the ambulance crew may be loking for you,they have little local knowledge of the forest,all the squirrels have gone into hibernation so they cant ask them,(youre getting colder and colder),the staff of Llandegla are not there either,watching mtb videos at home.

The crew make their way slowly up the hill,and while theyre on their way up, theyre thinking how are we going to transport the guy down,cant get the helicopter as they cant park it,(and youre getting colder),eventually they find you,tell you youre a stupid prat,youve not only endangered your life,and the crews lives, youve tied up a lot of resourses and stopped an ambulance getting to a heart attack victim.(if only they could say what they think)
    Then becomes the fun of them getting you down the hill.Youre now possibly suffering hypothermia, and so are the ambulance crew.

HAPPY NOW.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

trail_rat
    Free Member

someone didnt get to ride today ……

Smee
    Free Member

Why would they need to park a helicopter? Do they not have winches on them in Wales? Must not have an MRT either…

trail_rat
    Free Member

sounds like 95% of the rides i go on in the cairngorms project1 its all about minimising risk and being self sufficent and as safe as prepared as you can ….

i see people all the time going round trail centers with huge bags on – nothing of actual use in them – just body armour ……

Coyote
    Free Member

As I understand it, Llandegla is owned / managed by Tilhill. Someone rides the trails when it is officially closed and the worst happens. No doubt some ambulance chasing scum will have a field day. Trails closed.

FFS guys, if One Planet say it's closed then respect their decision and ride somewhere else. Let's face it, they won't take the decision to close lightly; no riders=no revenue.

Genesis, hopefully see you when the car park thaws.

crazy-legs

i see people all the time going round trail centers with huge bags on – nothing of actual use in them – just body armour ……

Controversial and amusing – well done! 🙂

thejesmonddingo

calm down,calm down.

ian

project
    Free Member

Steep hill on the approach road to the car park and to get out,then the car park is built on a few different levels,also the trees are closely planted so limited space to winch unless they carry the injured rider to a clearing or trail road.

There are people out there that go out in tracies and a soft top,even without gloves,or spare tubes,and theyre the ones who will have an accident,and claim for injuries.

genesis
    Free Member

22 Squadron are usually busy lifting morons in jeans and t-shirts off Snowdon and our local MRT team are still over half hour drive away that's before they even get the shout.

mrmo
    Free Member

mind you there is a bridleway through the middle, so however closed it maybe it is still open.

genesis
    Free Member

Absolutely.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

How can you close a trail centre – especially one with a bridleway in it?

Just makes no sense at all to me.

nasher
    Free Member

I used to ridfe in Llandegla forrest and the moors above Llangollen and aslo the berwyn mountains years with kit no where near as good as whats avaialble today and in worse conditions.

what has changed though MTB is now fashionable and comes witha number of people who do not have a clue what to do if they came to difficulties. I guess they must take that into consideration.

gone are the days when us mtbers were hardcore folk going out in all weathers and in pink and in dayglo lycra!!

allyharp

So if you go out and hurt yourself you might not be rescued easily. Welcome to mountain biking. Can't be any different from going through Rannoch Moor, for example, miles away from any road?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Then you're trespassing anyway.

ooooh, spank me :o)

IdleJon

So is it closed because of the risk of riders having an accident?

Or is it closed because the car park is icy and people may drive into each other?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Look at it like this.

Tilhill own the place, they say it's shut for what ever reason they want, therefore it's shut.

Same reason why the car-parks are shut in delamere – too icey.

If for example the police close a road 'cos it's too dangerous do you still drive up it as it's your right to use a public highway, didn't think so.

Considering the amount of 'degla haters on here there's a fair few people who don't want to get on with the owners by riding it whenever they want.

I'd imagine some of the people still insisting on riding the place are some of the people who park at the bottom of the access road and ride up so they don't have to pay the £3.50 parking price 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

ally harp – you make sense

a closed sign will deter your trackie wearing soft top wearing lot ….

real mtbers will look at it and think – yes your carpark is shut good for you … show me the trails …

uplink
    Free Member

As already mentioned there's a bridleway right through it, so you can put up whatever signs you want – if I think it's OK to ride through it, I'll do so & make my own decision what precautions to take

thanks for caring though

genesis
    Free Member

Also creates problems for our neighbours with cars parked all over the place, just because it ends in a dirt road by the orange gates it doesn't mean no one lives down there!

zokes
    Free Member

So you go up to LLandegla and then fall off,youre on your own,and cant move,you phone an ambulance,if you can get a signal,its difficult in some parts,the Ambulance service send an Ambulance there.

Hmmm, sounds like MTB as it used to be, with out all the signs to show the kids which way to fall off…

Mountain biking can be dangerous. For the most part, I'd guess that's why we all do it. Common sense dictates that in the middle of winter it might be a little snowy / icy. We can all work that out*, and prepare accordingly, or has a law been passed that prevents any access to the outdoors when it's a bit nippy?

*Maybe those that can't should do some reading up on Darwinian theory before they snuff out their own line from the gene pool

mrmo
    Free Member

If for example the police close a road 'cos it's too dangerous do you still drive up it as it's your right to use a public highway, didn't think so.

but i might still walk or ride said road, it is using common sense and using the appropriate means of transport, i know that is a strange concept and Lawyers and HSE seem to ignore it.

Tilhil can close all they want but the Bridleway is, unless they apply for a diversion type of notice, still open and people will ride the tracks.

zokes
    Free Member

Also creates problems for our neighbours with cars parked all over the place, just because it ends in a dirt road by the orange gates it doesn't mean no one lives down there!

Don't close the car park then – simples 🙂

antigee

of course the owner of the land has a duty of care and by having trails laid out is inviting you to use them, hence the liability – has no way of knowing if you are any good at knowing what your ability is in poor conditions so centres get shut to avoid a liability

– i would hope that those that ignore the shut signs are competent and if they are not at least they will be developing their skill at assessing their competence, might be considerate to pick another location but my experience at trail centres generally is that consideration is left on the motorway somewhere
    as to ambulances and mrt – i imagine pretty small beer compared to dealing with those of a mall mentality with lots of call outs for zero common sense

genesis
    Free Member

zokes you're right. Its the Darwin awards candidates that worry me the most. For the main seasoned mtbers have an apprecitaion of the consequences of being out in the winter, but almost like the airport security thread. How would you discriminate?

Smee
    Free Member

Singlespeeders only?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘RANT: Shut means shut!!!’ is closed to new replies.